what weapons are legal to carry?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Levi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

As long as you include the admonishment about it being potenitially out-of-date in some cases. For example, I checked his info on Pennsylvania, and he hasn't updated his info to include stun guns, tasers, batons, etc.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Dont worry about it, when I eventually get round to making a sticky on weapons laws it will be posted for checking before it actually gets stickified :)

3. Levi

Levi New Member

Thanks GC

4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

What weapons are legal?
    Your fists!

5. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

So if I understand well what GC said, whatever you carry with the intention of using as a weapon, is considered as a weapon (if it is able of causing death or serious injury), even if it was not made with that purpose, right? Like if I was carrying a pen for self-defense, it could be considered a weapon?

And I suppose the opposite is not true... For instance, if I used a flame-thrower as a keychain, I suppose it would still qualify as a weapon. Stupid unfair laws!

6. Levi

Levi New Member

Or if you would use a Katana as a backscratcher :D

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

That's just natural selection.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

You need to parse apart each state's statutes. Iowa's statute is one example of 51 statutes from the 50 states plus DC. This is why I told you all to consult your local laws; they are not the same for every state, and I don't want to misinterpret a statute without having annotations of the case law dealing with said statute in front of me as it's just asking for trouble...

For example, PA's statute is much different, and swords aren't covered in it:

Note: This is not the current version of the statute, which has been amended to include tasers, stun guns, batons, etc

However, there is an older case, which I believe is still good law, which clearly states that a sword cane is a PoW despite the fact that swords are nowhere to be mentioned in our PoW statute. A clear example of case law stepping outside the plain language of the statute.

Call the police or the local sherriff's department. They can usually provide the best answers. Or if you know a lawyer who can just look things up for you, go for it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

SSSSSH! Don't spoil my next round of internet news LoLLies! :D

10. TalkingHalls

TalkingHalls Valued Member

I carry a Kubaton (sp?) on my key chain, I've had to use it a few times.

I'm looking on how to build a Ju-jo (look it up on google) and use that instead of my kubaton. That or if I could find a Koppo Stick. they are all legal because they are all 'key chains' haha

11. Marnet

Marnet Banned Banned

In Australia it is legal to carry machete, sword, bo, jo whatever as long as its visible.

But get this...

You can't carry a knife that you can open with one hand...

You can't carry a shuriken...

You can't carry a handgun without a licence (and only LEO can get a licence)...

You can't carry numbchucks :eek:...

So if you want to live out your samurai fantasies move to Australia. Just watch out for police...

12. TalkingHalls

Thats not true. Any one can have a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal just find out if your state lets you. The only real requirements are no felonys and you have to be 18 haha. (this is for handguns by the way)

I was reading on Wiki about nunchakus, are we alowed to carry them if they are at min. lenght? or did i just miss read it?

13. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Dude....

US laws have no meaning in AUSTRALIA.

14. TalkingHalls

ahha sorry about that... i was kinda half asleep haha

15. tellner

tellner Valued Member

In this State I can jump through a bunch of hoops, agree to a legal proctoscopy by the BATF and buy a suppressed automatic weapon. I can wear a pair of brass knuckles, put a switchblade in a belt pouch, shove a sap into my pocket, walk out of the house and wave at Officer Friendly as long as none of it's concealed. In fact I did something a bit like that once. Emergency situation late at night. I didn't want to run the risk of shooting in a built up urban neighborhood in poor light. I waited for the police to show up and answered their questions about the piece or two fo ordnance on my person. The older one wanted to know where he could get a sap like the one I was carrying.

If I drive a few minutes North I will be committing a felony for owning any one of those five things.

If I drive a couple hours West I will be underwater and not have to worry about weapons laws at all. Fish, clams and octopuses are remarkably tolerant about that sort of thing :)

Look, if you want legal advice ask a lawyer who works in your area. For a very reasonable sum he or she will look up the statutes and appropriate case law. That is a much better option than risking jail time or getting ballistically decommissioned by a frightened cop due to taking unpaid legal advice from random anonymous types on tha Intrawebs.

16. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Valued Member

I think in CT you can only carry a (non-fixed ) blade of 3.5 inches or less.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  17. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Where do you live? (Not fishing for legal advice; just curious).

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Oregon.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

QFT.

Its all about intent. If I picked up a crowbar with the intent to whack someone in the head with it, then I'm commiting an offence and can be arrested for having an offensive weapon.
    However if I use the crowbar as part of my job as a builder then its legal (which excludes the use of head smacking).

If/When youre arrested for having an offensive weapon its also carried on what kind of weapon, which are:

MADE: Weapons that are made specifically to cause harm or damage.
    swords,knives,nun-chucks,knuckle dusters...you get the idea

ADAPTED: Weapons that were adapted from normal non classified items, making them into an offensive weapon. Such as:
    Baseball bat+nails
    Broken bottles
    a shiv

If the item you are carrying around is neither of the above, then the Officers need to prove your intent of using them..for example.
    A professional computer engineer is carrying a large screwdriver in his workbag. He has ID to prove he is an technician and the screwdriver is in his bag...does he have the obvious intention to commit an offence?

A young male, walking around and talking a lot about "having people", he is found with a large screwdriver tucked away in his sock. His explanation is that he was going to use it to help "fix sum-fing innit at my mates".

"Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him any public place any offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence"
    Section 1, Prevention of Crime Act 1953.