What weapon martial arts are out there?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by HollowMoon, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The best thing is to see what's in your area for weapons and go and have a look and a try. See what you like and what fits your schedule, budget etc etc.

One thing you'll also find in FMA that is similar to capoeira is you get to train to awesome, funky drum chunes! Congas and bongos for the win.

[ame="//http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qedF9pdD35w"]Carenza Rhythms[/ame]

What sort of capoeira do you do?

2. HollowMoon

HollowMoon Valued Member

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "what sort". :p

I'm with the Senzala group. There's a small class in Glasgow that I go to twice a week. We're usually taught bimba sequences and we practice them a bit, sometimes working on acrobatics/floreios and we always have a roda at the end of a lesson. We mix it up between Angola and Regional styles.

Does that help answer your question? :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. Bozza Bostik

Yes, it does.

:)

4. HollowMoon

HollowMoon Valued Member

What about you? ^^ What are your classes like?

5. Bozza Bostik

I started with Senzala about a year and a half ago. My ex did capoeira and was very good at it, but I had no interest in practicing it, so I was very familiar with the art.

I switched to CDO (Cordão de Ouro) after a few months due to timetabling and other issues. I like it a little more than Senzala, it's not that different though.

Our classes are about the same. Sunday we do a bit of music too for about 30 mins. We used to train in a..."martial arts centre" were we had access to punch bags and focus mitts. But the group has relocated and we don't have the equipment there. I'll take my own mitts and stuff when I get back to training.

There's 4 groups in the city; two Angola, the Senzala group and CDO. Everything is pretty open and we are welcome to train in the other groups. Hopefully when I get back to classes, I'll look at the other clubs too now and again. One of the Angola groups is right next to where I live, seems stupid not to check it out.

6. HollowMoon

HollowMoon Valued Member

Cool. It seems like you have some real nice options. :) We don't have any bags or mitts or anything. We just practice sequences as if we were in a roda.

7. Bozza Bostik

We did that too but we'd mix it up with drills on the pads.

You can always just get someone to hold some pads for you!