What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I have a hard time taking most Nicolas Cage's later movies seriously....after watching the trailer.....I think I figured the whole thing out and I am pretty sure it would be watched for a laugh....kind of like Predator, meets Enter the Dragon, meets the 7 Samurai (or magnificent 7,.....whichever you prefer) with a dash of Kung Fu Hustle

axelb likes this.
  2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I've been watching Cinemax's Warrior recently (the one based on Bruce Lee's script that eventually became the original Kung Fu), and it has completely and utterly captivated me; I've been singing its praises on FB to anyone who would listen and quite a few people who wouldn't.

It's basically Gangs of New York as directed by John Woo, except it's set in 1870s San Francisco Chinatown, and the gangs are Chinese tongs and Irish proto-mob. A guy called Ah Sahm (palyed by Andrew Koji) comes to San Francisco looking for his sister, gets recruited into Hop Wei tong, and before he knows it gets embroiled in Chinatown power struggles and the racial cold war across the city. Good thing he's quite the badass fighter because he'll need all the help he needs and then some.

The fight scenes are choreographed in the style of The Raid with all the awesomeness it entails, and indeed Raid alum Joe Taslim plays a major part. The characters are compelling despite (or perhaps because of) not being particularly nice people by and large, there's the requisite Cinemax sex and violence so take that under consideration (though it doesn't particularly bother me); the prevalent racism of the period is also on display in all its dubious glory but then that's kind of the point of the exercise.

In addition to the requisite kung-fu there's also quite a bit of bare-knuckle boxing being displayed; the latest episode was a tournament story which features Marcus "Lelo" Aurelio from Axe Capoeira (him of the "20-second capoeira knockout" viral video from years ago) doing his thing and looking pretty good for an all-too-short amount of time; this obviously only bolstered my enthusiasm. ;)

So... yeah. I recommend it. HBO apparently picked it up because of recent Cinemax troubles, and the whole thing is available on HBO Go which now can boast having my subscription as long as they keep churning out new eps. :D

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Ah, I’ve been listening to Iron Maiden lately too.

As far as movies go, last night we watched the mockumentary Waiting for Guffman. Simply hilarious.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It Follows. Terrible, terrible film.

hewho likes this.
  6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Just awful!!

Been using some downtime to watch some action films. Bloodsport is amazing, can't believe I've never watched it before!

Watched The Equalizer, really enjoyed it. Watched 2, enjoyed that too!

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I been following this series as well.

It suffered from "sex n gore galore, for viewers" syndrome I thought in season 1. But the story in general has kept pace.
    Im liking season 2 at the moment, the choreography has definately upped its game.

8. Rand86

I'll need to rewatch it (the actual physical DVD has been sitting on my shelf for a week now) but nothing from season 1 jumps out as particularly gratuitous on either score; if anything there was way more sex and gore in season 2 IMO. Opinion subject to change of course.

Post-episode 6 (the tournament episode) they kinda shifted from brawling to politics a bit too much for my liking; it's actually VERY well done, I just wanna see some more kung fu (or bkb) fighting. :p

I suppose the cast were still kinda sore from filming all those fight scenes in episode 6.

9. Mushroom

As much as I like, there can't be too many fight scenes, otherwise it'll just be bit bland. Need a bit of storytelling to get you to root for someone.

Love how Bisping sends himself up

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rewatched I Am Legend for the first time in a long while. Seemed more like a documentary after this crazy year!

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I read the (slim) book of that a few years ago, I was not prepared for "timely views" contained within!

Van Zandt likes this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Sam Eliott's finest piece of acting, and very relevant to the current era.

13. Mushroom

Just caught up on the last 2 eps... OK the gore is back lol

14. Rand86

I feel like I should take back all I said after the latest episode. Turns out the writers knew exactly what they were doing.

Mushroom likes this.
  15. Mushroom

I too take back everything I posted.

This show is awesome lol!

16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I just found warrior on sky, which funnily is the last place I expected to find it.

Based on comments here I think I'll be watching this series, ep1 was good :D

17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

In the spirit of the Christmas season, we just watched Die Hard, with Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman.

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, Die Hard 1 & 2, because it's Christmas time.
    And then Klaus, which I had not seen before. It's excellent.

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Just seen the trailer for matrix resurrected.

CHOOSE YOUR REALITY

I'm skeptical about reboots, or follow up years later, but this trailer has me intriged.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So this looks a bit good!!