What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

In my opinion, these movies don't really count.

I consider anything outside of episodes 1-6 to be Star Wars fan fiction.

Thomas likes this.
  2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I consider anything after the initial 3 cinematic releases to be so poorly written that none o' them count!

Mitch, Frodocious and Jaydub like this.
  3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

You're a purist as well, I see.

I never said I liked episodes 1-3, but I begrudgingly acknowledge them as true Star Wars films.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm... Maybe #3 counts because it's when Anakin turns into Vader, but the other 2 new ones? (pause) No. No, I'm going to say there are only 4 true Star Wars movies: Episodes 3-6.

Haven't seen "Solo" yet, and my leaning is to wait for the DVD, because the last several did not warrant the extra money for the big-screen experience.

Thomas likes this.
  5. aikiMac

Rewatched "Red" and "Red 2" recently. Still funny! I love Marvin so much. :p

For those who haven't: ensemble cast with Bruce Willis as the character the story revolves around. He's a retired CIA agent, the best covert operator in history. Someone at the CIA decides he needs to be killed to protect a secret that is now suddenly at risk of exposure. Let the cat-and-mouse chase begin! :D

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Borrowing the gist of a local movie critic's review of a different film and applying it to those pieces of junk--

They spent millions on the cast,millions on the sets,millions on the special effects,and about a week on the scripts.

Especially evident in the even higher than usual-and that's saying a lot!!!- Hollywood "stupidity factor" in those scripts. At least as if not more idiotic than the award winning "Gladiator".[Insert vomiting emoticon here ]

However those movies did teach us at least 2 things-

1) the Jedi lost the struggle because they were utter nincompoops so the galaxy is probably a better place without them.(Hey,I've got my light saber at Christopher Lee's throat.He could call it off-or DIE! But I'll leave him and jump into the arena to fight....robots.)

No Jedi's corpses were found with Mensa cards in their wallets.

2) don't ever pay to see a Star Warts film again. We took a small mob to see #1.

And never went back.

P.S."Warts" was a typo but I left it as a Freudian slip. Or girdle.Or something.

Thomas and Jaydub like this.
  7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Finally got round to watching 'America Made' starring little Tommy Cruise.

Based on the "true story" of a TWA pilot who ends up working for the CIA, and somehow stars with the drug smuggling and then guns... It was an interesting film without being great or even good. Doing some research afterwards, it turns out that the flick wasn't particularly accurate (it does say "based on a true story"). Still, Tom Cruise basically plays Tom Cruise like he does in most of his films.

2/5 stars

Lily likes this.
  8. aikiMac

Rewatched "John Wick" #1 and #2 a couple days apart. Still good! :D

I don't like the endless supply of bad guys coming at him like ants streaming out of an anthill, and I don't like his Wolverine healing ability, but that aside, the fights are fun -- both his "gun-fu" and his jujitsu. This is intelligent movie-fu choreography, and Keanu Reeves pulls it off convincingly.

His poor car, though, in #2 -- it's wrecked so bad and he doesn't get it back! :(

9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The Delta Force (Chuck Norris - 1986)

[​IMG]

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wait a sec - *that's* what you felt sorry for, when watching both movies?
    Either you are weird, or I am the totally wrong movies here (okay, only watched the first one so far) :p

11. aikiMac

LOL, it's a cool car! :p And Wick almost has Wolverine's healing ability, so he'll be fine in a couple of days.

You're in for a treat at the start of #2. There's a great fight scene with his car. That is, he uses his car to beat the crap out of people. I don't know how they filmed a couple parts of it. Think of "Ong Bak" but using a moving car as the weapon of impact. ::applause:: :p

12. aikiMac

2:57 is surely a mannequin, but how'd they film the hits at 4:00 and 4:05 ?!
    Ouch!
    :eek: x 10 but :D x 10 !

axelb likes this.
  13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

They’re great films if you suspend reality a little bit , for me , it’s the best action franchise in a long time.

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Took my lad to see Solo a Star Wars story today , mixed feelings really , the meeting of chewie wasn’t how I expected and the Kessel run was shown along with a bit more background.
    Maybe it’s just me , but I kept thinking “so how are they going to dispose of this character ?” all through the film as everyone apart from 3 people didn’t appear in the main films.
    I honestly enjoyed rogue one more , solo isn’t a bad film in any way , I just felt it lacked something , though I’m not sure what.
    Oh , and an sjw parody robot ? Really ?

Frodocious likes this.
  15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just wanted to say that it was superb. A rare film that gives itself time to breathe, that opens up and let's visuals and music tell the story as well as the script. Doing that on the big screen is even more impressive, and it's just luscious.

If you ever get the chance to see it at the cinema, grab it. :)

Frodocious and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Re-watching 'A bridge too far'. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Not many films have this level of acting talent but it does drag a bit. Something like this would be great as a re-make or re-telling, using modern effects, cgi and editing.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I just saw Hereditary.

While it was very disturbing, and had it's creepy parts, I'm not sure it lived up to it's hype as the new Exorcist.

I literally just left the theatre and I'm still trying to process the ending.

axelb likes this.
  18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I watched the black panther, probably should have watched it before Avengers Ininity war, as it feels more like a build up film for it, and although it was entertaining enough, certainly dwarfed by me recently seeing infinity war.

19. aikiMac

Saw "Deadpool 2" tonight. Quite good. :)
    It's funny, but not as funny (overall) as the first movie. But it makes up for that by having a much more complex story. I really enjoyed the story. Several times I did not know where the movie was going next, and to say that about a silly superhero movie -- ya, it was good.
    ... Apart from what they did to his hotty wife, I mean. I do not approve of that part of the story! And I think the movie could have used a little more of Weasel and the bar where he works, and a cameo of Stan Lee (what? there was no cameo of Stan Lee?). But the Domino stuff and her "imaginary superpowers," as Deadpool calls it -- LOL, very nice! She needs to be in DP3.

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Finally pointed myself at 'Dunkirk', which depicts the Dunkirk evacuation during World War II, between the 26th May and 4th June, 1940. This was an immense and powerful film, with the music being used to ramp up tension and despair. Although it was probably "Hollywoodised", it does give you some "impression" of what those soldiers must have gone through, and it lingered in my thoughts enough for me to do some research into the actual events.