What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah Bladerunner 2049 looked ace. His holo-mistress was very easy on the eyes. But damn it was a snails pace. The original bladerunner was slow but very atmospheric. The new one seemed to lack that to some degree.

Van Zandt, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Wonder Women!

It was great, one of the best superhero films I've seen, up there with some of my other favourites.
    10/10

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I went back in time to watch "They call me Trinity" and "Trinity is still my name," two Italian-made Westerns. They're both quite nice if you just want a silly cowboy movie with old-school fighting and gags. The lead characters, Trinity and Bambino, are fantastic together, and indeed, Wikipedia tells me that they were in fact so good together that they were paired in another 20 movies.

Brothers Trinity (right handed and agile) and Bambino (left handed and brutishly strong) are anti-heroes. They're extremely fast shots and superior fist-fighters, but they never quite get a break in life. They're drifters continually trying to make a living as outlaws. Much like Zatoichi, though, instead of succeeding as thieves they succeed in saving innocent folk from the true bad guys, and doing it of course with entertaining flair. And in Trinity's case, with a captivating smile and blue eyes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Thomas and El Medico like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watched "Happy Death day". It was a lot of fun, well put together and worth a watch.
    Also re-watched Jurassic Park with the kids. It's a little slow in places but everyone got very excited during the dino attacks and that scene with the T-rex stepping out of its enclosure and the vibrations in the glasses of water are just now classic cinema that holds up better than much VFX in films made 20 years later.

5. aikiMac

Ya, my son who hates old/older movies because of the "poor" special effects admits that Jurassic Park still works.
    Those dinosaurs were real, man. :D

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We also watched "Jason and the Argonauts" the other day and that skeleton fight scene also still holds up. Genius Harryhausen. Brilliant music from Bernard Hermann too.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Ip Man was the last movie I watched

[​IMG]

I like it, and it is not a bad movie if you like movies where they take well known historical figures and place them in fictional situations loosely based on historical fact....very loosely actually.
    Also it is the first time I have watched this movie where I didn't go down to my basement and start practicing Siu Nim Tao again

Thomas likes this.
  8. aikiMac

Maybe I'm biased (I'm not a karate guy) but his 10-against-1 is classic. :D
    I always liked this fight more, though. "So what do you think?" - "You haven't won yet." :D LOL, that always makes me smile.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Recent work trip to Bengaluru, India saw me suffering from my usual inability to sleep on a flight, so I took in the following movies:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
    Sequel to Kingsman: The Secret Service, which in turn is based on the comic book series by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar, so there's some pedigree behind it. I quite like the first movie, any movie that has Colin Firth throwing shapes in highly stylised fight scenes is fine with me, and the second movie is more of the same, i.e., it is stupendously silly, yet quite watchable. It leaves you wide eyed in disbelief that you wasted precious life watching it, yet oddly satisfied at the same time.

3/5 stars

Geostorm
    Okay, it wasn't a great flight for choice of movies, but you make do, and I made do with Geostorm, the directorial debut from Dean Devlin who brought us Stargate, Independence Day, Godzilla, and Eight Legged Freaks. So big dumb blockbusters that fill a hole. If you've seen one Devlin film you've seen them all - lowly peeps finds out something world ending is going to kick off. It kicks off. Explosions. Peeps win. it's a tale as old as time, except this time what's going off is the weather. Tsk, tsk, bad weather, naughty! Don't expect much from it, just go with the flow, and you'll end up mostly 'meh' over it.

2/5 stars

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I watch Bruce Lee birth of a dragon.

I actually enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. Some inevitable Movie-fu with wirework, but aside from that Phillip Ng does a good job of blasting Wing Chun style on screen, and Yu Xia wushu style is pleasing to watch.

A nice interpretation of the infamous Bruce Lee vs Wong Jack Man fight.
    I think it's a shame that the story focused too much around Steve McQueen.... I mean Steve McKee :rolleyes:

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Watched The Last Jedi and I mean, honestly, I was kind of underwhelmed.

In general I think the pacing felt off. The pursuit of the Resistance Fleet felt nearly unending. I think one of the major mis-steps of The Force Awakens was not clearly explaining the relationship between The New Republic, The Resistance, The Empire, and the First Order. It was pretty simple in the original trilogy - now I'm not sure exactly what the stakes are. Why is the Resistance important? What are they trying to do? I can see why Leia's super heroic force moment felt a bit out of the blue - they needed some scene where she talks about having trained with Luke or going on a vision quest or something, as it was it felt abrupt and jarring. I didn't mind the idea of Luke becoming a quasi-Yoda hermit, but I think he deserved a more epic send off. We've been following his quest for 40 some odd years, and he just collapses, tired. In some ways his death mirrors how I feel about the series in general; the best days of Star Wars are behind us, and now we're just left with the facsimile of Star Wars, an empty projection, that completely exhausts the franchise and kills it.

Thomas, Frodocious, Xue Sheng and 2 others like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Saw Star Wars, the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and I was excited when I heard about Star Wars Episode 1.... and that is where they whole Star Wars Saga lost me.... I eventually saw Episode 2 and 3 but on TV, at home. I was given the DVD for The Force Awakens so I watched it, but I have no plan to go see the newest film or the last in the saga either. Thank You for the review, I wish I was surprised by it, but it is pretty much what I expected of this film.

El Medico and axelb like this.
  13. axelb

I felt much the same about Episode 1 - so much excitement, and then the film to me was "meh". I though the EP2 would be better, but I fell asleep in the cinema because I was that uninspired.
    EP3 I watched many years after it came out on TV, and I felt that was the better, but by then it had lost it's kick.
    I enjoyed the more recent ones more, partly because my daughter enjoys them so much

Dead_pool and Xue Sheng like this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thats been exactly my experience too!

The new ones are good, it's just we're not children anymore!

axelb likes this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The bit in last Jedi where the skimmer ship things are skimming across the salty planet with the red soil gave me (mid 40's) and my daughter (nearly 9) a genuine "wow" moment. :)

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

There are some great looking scenes in it. I did enjoy it on face value, and that battle is great of star wars battlefront 2 also which I've played many times :D

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was transported back to being a child again watching both new SW films....its about a willingness to surrender to nostalgia rather than look at with adult eyes

Raptor you already know I am going to slap you stupid!!

philosoraptor, Travess and axelb like this.
  18. axelb

This is definitely the way to do it.
    I think I enjoyed it more watching it with my daughter than I would have without.

I took my daughter to see the last Jedi in the cinema (her first star wars experience on the big screen) dressed as Rey. I was tempted to dress up myself, in the end I went as a clothed Chewbacca as I hadn't shaved for a while.

Hannibal likes this.
  19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah I think the original trilogy stands up to the test of time with flying colors. Prequels not so much, but I'm interested to see how this new batch of films survives.

I think they're decent, but there's something very palpable about how big budget movies feel these days, and how they are written. You see the same sort of committee driven writing in Marvel movies, and I just feel sort of tired of it and condescended to.

Yes, some of the visuals were just plain awesome. Some of the force training scenes were great as well. I think the actors were all competent and compelling. I didn't mind the new characters they introduced, and I didn't mind seeing the characters falter and fail.

Ehh, again, I think there's a vast difference in quality either when taken as individual films, or as part of a broader series. I think the new SW films have done the characters from the OT dirty, so on a nostalgic level I feel somewhat betrayed by them. Looking at them with adult eyes, I still think the OT was written better and painted a better universe. This is all just personal.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Episode III was the best Star Wars film.