What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its good. If youre a genre fan it essentially parodies them.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Romeo must die -

Subjecting myself to some dodgy Wire-Fu, because sometimes it feels like I do not deserve any better! (Strictly from a movie watching stand point)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I checked out Birth of the Dragon over the weekend it wasn't too bad. I liked the character and portrayel of Wong Jack Man much more than Bruce Lee who came off how you might expect; a bit arrogant and full of himself. I guees it made a good contrast for the film. The fight scene was good and built up to nicely, with Wong performing the odd bit of Tai chi along the way. The side story of the American student going from BL to Wong was nice, and the plotlines were ok leading to the two main characters teaming up at the end to fight the bosses (obviously!) and the film hung together quite well overall. Not amazing but all in all, not bad. A 7/10 because Kung Fu!

axelb likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Watched this (again) last night, its definitely got better with age!

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This is on sky movies at the moment, I was tentative to watch it, but think I'll check it out :D

cloudz likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Finally watched Iron Man 2.

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

Icy outside and ill family, so it's a kid friendly movie: Lego ninjago.

They certainly like to have a mix of script aimed at children and adults.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Red Sparrow

A former ballerina (Jennifer Lawrence) is recruited by the Russian state security services to become a "sparrow" - people trained to seduce foreign agents and extract information. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of action scenes in this film (there are a few, but they serve to underscore the tension). It's not the best spy thriller ever to be released but it's still worth a watch, if only for Lawrence's great performance. She's one of her generation's finest actors for sure. 7 out of 10.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Lego Batman on a snow day with the kids.

Sooner or later Lego will make a bad movie, but this isn't it. Funny, beautifully undercutting Batman whilst paying homage to the comics too.

"Computer, overcompensate!" Cues the arrival of a bomb throwing batmobile. :D

Great stuff :)

axelb likes this.
  10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Called it on Sam Rockwell winning Best Supporting Actor. The movie didn't pick up Best Film, but McDormand won Best Actress. So if you haven't yet seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, see it now!

Also a great win for Gary Oldman picking up Best Actor.

Travess likes this.
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Baby Driver

Great film very stylish and entertaining. Had a bit of a Tarantino feel to it especially around the beginning. . The first car chase is off the scale and the film has a great soundtrack. You get plenty of high octane action with some memorable performances. There's a freshness about it that you don't find every day.

Can't fault it 10/10

axelb and Van Zandt like this.
  12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Lady Bird.

A coming of age story about a high school student's strained relationship with her mother. It also charts her struggles to navigate her way through friendships, romance, and religion. Lady Bird is charming, poignant, and exceedingly witty, and it has some laugh out loud moments. This film was especially relatable to me because I was the same age as the lead character (18) in the year the film is set (2002). Seeing in-scene television footage of the invasion of Iraq brought back a bunch of memories, and it made me realise how differently I now view the conflict (and the entire global war on terror). Lady Bird was deserving of the five Oscar nominations it received (especially for Saoirse Ronan in the lead role), but sadly didn't win any. 8 out of 10.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That must be the one where the ground of Gotham is cracking, and there's nothing under it. I watched it recently and enjoyed it, too. :D

Last night I tried the other "Lego Batman," the one where Lex Luther wants to be president and Joker steals the "Man of the Year" award. I quit halfway through it. Very dull. The only thing good about the movie is that it opens with the theme music of the excellent Warner Brothers cartoon series.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  14. axelb

Watched baby driver last night.
    Edgar Wright pulling it off again, the direction and editing is fantastic, it felt so unique.
    Brilliant sound track, and the story was excellent.
    I felt it was missing something at the end, but didn't really take much away from the enjoyment factor.

cloudz likes this.
  15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think I know what you mean about the ending, for the genre it was probably an unusual way to go. It kind of threw me off a bit too.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The Wall

John Cena played his part well, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson stole the show with a superb performance. The film maintains tension all the way through, which was remarkable given that it was mostly dialogue. Don't let that put you off - the back and forth between Taylor-Johnson and the enemy sniper (Juba) is fantastic. At times you're even tempted to agree with Juba's reasoning for fighting in the insurgency against the Americans. I really enjoyed it. 7 out of 10.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Alien convanant, a good but not great alien film, enjoyable, but I wished it hadn't treated Dr Shaw the way it did.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I, Tonya

Man, this was great! Very funny with some heavy emotional points too. The cast selection was excellent and they all played their parts brilliantly - Allison Janney rightly deserved her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her superb portrayal as Tonya Harding's acid-tongued mother. 8 out of 10.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Tried to watch "Bladerunner 2049", "a monster calls" and "Warcraft". Fell asleep. All three. None of them captured my interest at all.

Van Zandt likes this.
  20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree with you on Warcraft and A Monster Calls, they were dull as cold soup. Bladerunner 2049 would have been much better if it wasn't so drawn out, but I thought it looked stunning at least.