What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. pin316

pin316 Valued Member

Just saw the new Star Trek film for the first time - thought it was awesome!

Casted really well, plot was decent, the reboot premise was good, just an overall wicked movie.

Also saw GI Joe - immensely cheesy in places, but some genuinely good/fun action scenes. GO JOE!

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Transformers" number 2. Megan Fox is smokin' hot but I'm glad I waited for the DVD, because mostly the movie was mostly lame. It was just an excuse for people to practice making f/x and cgi.

But there was one line that made me chuckle:

Bully: "How about I shove my foot up your ---?"
    Whitwhicky: "What size shoe do you wear?"

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

'Burn After Reading'.

I love every Coen brothers film I've see. This one is laugh-out-loud funny in many places, with some great characters and superb perfomances from a top-notch cast.

As usual, the characters are a mixture of the realistic and the seriously larger-than-life. My only gripe was that I didn't feel that Frances McDormand's character falls clearly into one type or the other, and it seemed like she was unsure at times exactly how to play her. She has moments of zany comedy, and moments of real pathos.

But unusually for me, its a film which I want to watch again very soon, and I suspect that I'll see a lot of things in it which I didn't the first time. Which is one of the things which I love about their films.

Whenever someone says to me that America produces nothing but rubbish these days, I simply reply: "I think, sir, that you are overlooking the Coen brothers' films!". ;)

4. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

i really like shane meadows films if you haven't seen any check out - this is england and dead mans shoes amazing films by a truly great director not to mention he's british!

5. Topher

Topher allo!

Fargo = WIN

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I assume that is a shorthand way of saying that you enjoyed Fargo and thought that it was a good film! ;)

In which case, I couldn't agree more. I think it strikes just the right balance between zany black humour on the one hand, and something quite dark and menacing on the other. Whereas Burn After Reading doesn't have quite the same 'dark side'. Dark-ish, but not really menacing.

7. pin316

pin316 Valued Member

yup yup yup - gotta love the stuff the coens put out

speaking of which - has anyone been to see 'A Serious Man' yet, and if so is it as good as the rumours say?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I had a bit of a mammoth film-fest weekend.

Last house on the left (remake) = Not bad. Jumped the shark at one point (the garbage disposal bit) and felt the violence could have been more effective if it was more gritty and less hollywood. The non-theatre ending was plums.

Let the right one in = Really good. Nicely odd and scandinavian.

Knowing = OK screen fodder but FAR too many religious overtones for me.

Wolverine = Dumb and stupid but enjoyable. Total film did a good synopsis of this at one point that makes you see it on a totally different light.

State of play = A quality film. Very engaging and twisty turny.

Religulous = Made me laugh. Doesn't look too deep into things but interesting nonetheless.

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Watched a few films recently:

Death Race (new one, with Jason Statham) - mindless but still enjoyable

Vantage Point - good idea but boring when you've watched it once

Return of the Jedi - legendary film.

Schindler's List - epic.

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Ong Bak the beginning..has every martial art you can name in it. You have to see the elephant stunt.

worth a look.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ang Lee's "Incredible Hulk" = boooorring. Really boring. I almost stopped the disk 1/3 of the way through. I actually stopped the disk half way through. I finished it later. Nope -- still boring.

There's another "Ong Bak" ?! Dude -- I'm there! If Netflix has it I'm ordering it! Suh-weet!

12. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I seem to be one of the few people that really enjoyed Ang Lee's "Hulk". I thought it was epic, and was disappointed that it didn't get a sequel. It definitely wasn't your standard action movie, and it didn't follow the comics closely at all, but it really explored Banner's psychology excellently. The remake that came out recently didn't even try to do that really, it was just "Hulk smash". :p

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

An Education - Disturbing film

14. sdkjester

sdkjester Valued Member

The last movie in theater was GI Joe. Loved it and can't wait for it to come out on DVD.
    The last DVD movie was Transformers 2. Loved it and watched it twice so far.

15. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

the last in the theatre was - inglorious b******s was a good film great violence, well (for lack of a better word) executed. funny characters i think the best one had to be either brad pitts character or the jew hunter.

dvd i watched was - pans labyrinth, not the newest of films haha but all in all a good film, felt it was slightly overrated but that could of been the mood i was in, thought the climax towards the end was the best bit but have a few un answered questions about the scene when ofelia joins her parents on her thrown in the underworld, i wont say anything else because i don't want to spoil it for any who hasn't seen it!

16. pin316

pin316 Valued Member

Hell Yes - it owns!

Can't wait for Ong Bak 3 - apparently they're going to link the first and second films together somehow...

Gotta love Tony Jaa's films - especially the big fight scenes at the end of all his films; first Ong Bak with the scene in the cave up to and including the giant buddha was wicked, in Warrior King the 100 guys masterclass in breaking limbs was genius(followed by someone suplexing an elephant!), and then the weapons scene in OB2 was just immense.

17. Seven Stars

Seven Stars Valued Member

ong bak was great, i randomly saw a teaser trailer for it like months before anyone had ever heard of it and we didnt know what it was but and my mate tracked a thai copy of it down. it had crazy subtitles and we had no idea what the story was, but we didnt care.

18. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong were great but found Ong Bak 2 not as good but still enjoyable

Last watched American Samurai with Mark Dacascos and Surrogates which wasnt bad

19. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

the last movie i saw was the rabbit proof fence, a good movie sad story about the aboriginees

20. pin316

pin316 Valued Member

let me guess...you had the version where the Petchtai Wongkamlao character (George/Humlae - the comedy sidekick) was referred to as 'Dirty Balls'?

I've seen two versions - one bought and one rented. I think i've got thsi the right way round, but the rented one came up with 'George' everytime his name was mentioned (the Audio was 'Humlae') - presumably an anglicised equivalent indicating a common name, whereas the bought one had a much ropier translation and every time his name was said it came up with 'Dirty Balls', which presumably is a literal translation of Humlae/Hum Lae? :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009