What was Karate originally designed for?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Paul A, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Paul A

Paul A Valued Member

To be used:

• Against other Karate-ka/martial artists?
    • To be used against untrained aggressors?

Also what situation was it intended for?

• An organised duel?
    • Anytime, anyplace?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

B and B. But not averse to a bit of A and A at times. :)

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

JWT will be along shortly to clear this all up, but in the meantime, I'm pretty sure Funakoshi, amongst others, said Karate was for self defence against 'ruffians'.

The dueling bit is pretty much a Japanese competition addition, from what I know. All Kendo-ish and whatnot.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

It probably depends on what ryu/kan as to what the formative factors and goals were does it not?

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Itosu's 1st precept courtesy of Iain Abernethy's blog.

"Karate is not merely practiced for your own benefit; it can be used to protect one’s family or master. It is not intended to be used against a single assailant but instead as a way of avoiding injury by using the hands and feet should one by any chance be confronted by a villain or ruffian."

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Karate: When equipped, user gains +15 damage against ruffians or villains. -8 defence against magic or heavy armour.

Additional skills include "ki-ai" (induces state of "surprise" in opponent for 5 seconds) and "awesome" (ladies are +20% vulnerable to "charm" techniques).

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

But you get a -10 to intimidate due to fighting in your pajamas.

8. Paul A

Paul A Valued Member

Thanks, I have a view on this myself, just interested in what everyone here this.

9. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

EXP to level up reduces by 20%, you also get an aditional 10 points when you level up to add to your skills. Stamina doubles.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... AD&D geekfest :p

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'd also go with B and B , with A and A being a legitimate variation .
    The problems start when people start mixing the A's and B's together.

12. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

a way for Samurai relive some part of thier former profession. they wore pajamas so it wouldnt come off as being too threatening.

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Some days are really lousy...

and then you get a thread like this that shows just how clever the people on MAP are. :)

14. Cayuga Karate

Cayuga Karate Valued Member

Karate is a term that describes a wide variety of practices, techniques, and training methods.

I look at the history and see the following:

In Motobu's text Okinawa Kenpo, he names a dozen kata that came from China (some of which appear to be families of kata).

In Funakoshi's text, Karate Do Kyohan, he names five Chinese who taught combative arts to Okinawans. One was a shipwrecked Chinese sailor, and four were described as military attaches.

Funakoshi, Motobu and other sources describe the iron-clad secrecy in which karate was handed down.

From this information, I seek an answer to the following:

For what reasons did Chinese military authorities (and shipwrecked sailors) share these Chinese kata with Okinawans under the strictest of secrecy.

A related question is similar to the opening question of this post. What are the movements in these kata designed for such that these Chinese military authorities believed the Okinawans would benefit from learning them?

And that leads to further questions.

Why were Chinese military authorities in Okinawa?

How frequently were they there?

How long did they typically stay?

A broader question is "What was the nature of the relationship of China and the Ryukyu kingdom that led military authorities to go to Okinawa and share combative arts?"

Nagamine describes some details and background in his text Okinawa's Great Masters

-Cayuga Karate

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the originators of most martial arts had the untrained surprise attack in mind but I find it genuinely baffling that people then think that's ONLY way they'd be thinking about combat or hope to be functional.
    I mean...men since the dawn of time have walked up to other men and said "I don't like X about you...so me and you are fighting!".
    That's pretty much a duel (albeit an impromptu one you wanted no part of).

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Which is.....?

It is always a bit niggling when people ask a question to "test the water" before leaping in with their own spin on things...be a devil and commit from the get go! :)

17. Llamageddon

The Karate forum is very welcoming to differing opinions, it has to be said!

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is one of the cuddliest forums on here! Hence post your thoughts without fear!

19. Llamageddon

It's true. I can only speak about myself, but I'm very protective about this little corner of the internet. This aint no KSW/Ninjer den. We will duel all nasties, with very long low stances, left side only, nothing to the face, until they leave or behave.

20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So , you're in the A camp then ? ;)