What types of disabilities are you hoping to hear from/about?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Noob, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Re: Blind man learns Judo

I've known ju jitsu people who have taught techniques to blind people.

Also for part of my instructor's qualification test I had to pretend that the class was blind and teach them three techniques. It was quite a challenge at the time, but I ended up sticking to close-in locking techniques. The main challenge is keeping the lesson safe. As someone pointed out, however, most blind people have a better sense of space than sighted people with their eyes shut.

2. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

Hello all, first post.
    I dont consider myself disabled even though I only have my right eye and am recovering from 3 heart attacks. Also I am 56. (my daughter says more like 6 )
    I have studied Iaido for about 18 months and find a few problems with depth perception. I also suffer from a severe shortage of breath during exercise but just rest and then carry on.
    My doctor is quite happy for me to do this and is of the opinion that it helps my recovery. My daughter says that I will probably die with my Katana in hand, what a way for a warrior to go. :)
    In my case Iaido is a very good art to study and gives me an interest otherwise I would go stir crazy shut up indoors.
    Just my 2p worth

David

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

It seems many of us, in one way or another, rise above certain physical limits and in the end persevere. Glad to see you are doing the same David.

Welcome to MAP....!!

Feel free to join in on other areas of discussion also! :)

4. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

what types of disabilities are you hoping to hear from/about

Good thread!! Keep the resources for the people with disabilities coming to the m.a. world!
    In my training, one of the first things I had to learn was to believe in myself and the abilities
    I have. Also, the m.a. I study is able to be adapted to people with disabilities, so I am very
    lucky!!!! Having instructors who are willing to train with an adapted version of any technique
    is a huge blessing and that is exactly what I have found in my m.a. studio!!!

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to you also Battle Sword ... I see you're training in shou shu.

I like your positive attitude with respect to training in martial arts with personal limitations.

Maybe you can shed some light on how your school has adapted/modified its curriculum for those with disabilities.

6. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

Agoraphobia has two definitions. Fear of spaces or fear of being in places with people. Which is the correct one in your case?

Fear of being in places with people can be a sign that you are a sensitive person or that you cannot tolerate energy well.

The depression is a sign if low health. That can also be tied in with the fear of being around people. It is not mental problems you have. Your body is not healthy and the mental things are the symptoms.

7. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

Reiki......

You say your daughter cannot walk etc. Can she move her legs at all? Is it that the muscles are atrophied and weak or is it that the legs are frozen solid?

Are her hands always fisted shut? Can she open and close them to grasp objects or items?

How do the torso and head appear? Is the torso normally roughly squared off or is it twisted, perhaps at the shoulders or hips? Is her head straight on the torso or does it cant off in a particular direction?

I want to understand. Visualize. I do not know if I can offer anything though. I have something in mind. It would be wrong to say without knowing what I asked above.

8. Ramda

Ramda Valued Member

La Mancha great post really hits home. I also don’t consider myself disabled but I do have a heart condition that forces me to take medication that limits my heart rate hence I crash and burn during the high cardio that is done, I’m just about to turn 46.

15 years ago I go a black belt and because of job I was forced to give it up. During the next 10 years I became a couch potato and gained 70 lbs also had 3 cardio inversions – Not good!

I always had a love for the martial arts so some years ago I took up Kenpo, lost the 70 Lbs and am now my cardiologists prize patient (most life style changes) and just about to test for Red belt (one away from shodan again). Like La Mancha the doctor loves what I am doing and is in favor of me doing as much as I can – as he says it keeps me away from a pace maker and does more for me that any Meds he can give me. My Sensei knows about my condition and allows some modification in training but not much, just a minute or two to catch my breath and with his help I have gotten fitter that I could possible have dreamed 5 years ago. Things can be reversed!

That’s enough of me. Look forward reading about others.

9. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

Any deaf martial artists here?

Are there any other deaf martial artists that frequent Martial Arts Planet? I am deaf and study American Kenpo. I'm currently a green belt.

- Ceicei

10. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Welcome to MAP i don't know if we have any deaf Martial Artists to be honest but any input you can give us about how it affects your training would be great.

Enjoy the forum :)

11. NYCjudo

NYCjudo New Member

You gave me a lot of hope, as I have many of the same disabling conditions. Thanks, NYCjudo

12. NYCjudo

NYCjudo New Member

Disabling conditions and persevere

Thanks for your comments. This gave me al ot of hope, as I have many of the same conditions: bad knees, developing arthritic conditions, etc... I will carry on----if I can only find a judo class for those who are disabled in NYC---not easy!!! Take care, NYCjudo

13. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Dont forget about me!

I have arthritis in my spine, ruptered protruding disc in 4-5 lumbar, 2 protruding discs in cerivcal spine, panic disorder and PTSD! I am 1/2 thru the Wing Chun sytem.......I modify movements (I have a GREAT Sifu) and I teach Tai Chi Chuan to survivors of domestic violence.

If I can stick with it 8 years and advance ANYONE can!!!

KFG

14. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Cane Combat for Cripples

Do a search for Chas Clements. He puts out a video called, and I'm not making this up, "Cane Combat for Cripples".

He uses a cane himself, and is a silat practitioner. He has a bit of a sense of humor though. I haven't seen the video, but he seems to know what he's doing.

Matt

15. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I haven't read this whole thread (yet), but in response to the original question, while I'm interested in the relationships of all types of disabilities & martial arts, as a person with a spinal cord injury, I'm particularly interested in info about martial arts for & martial artists with spinal cord injuries.

16. bedens67

bedens67 New Member

Would it count if my wife believes my head is usually buried somewhere in my posterior? :bang: :D

Seriously, I think all of us would have something to offer... The more I train and the more I teach, the more I believe all of us have a disability of some sort... It's just whether it manifests itself publicly and frequently or not... If there's something about you that requires you to adapt the way you learn even slightly, then it's an issue. May not be a "disability" per se, but it's something to think about...

What does all of this mean? I guess it means that we all have something to offer, if we'll just look. Some are apparent like hearing or vision difficulties. Other are more subtle like sensory processing problems or dyscalculia, as was mentioned earlier.

Oh and mine? Physique... I'm just a big dude... I quit worrying about my weight a long time ago, as I put on muscle mass so easily. If I eat less to lose weight, I can't train. If I train harder to lose weight (via sweat, etc.), I add muscle mass... :) It can be a pain in everything from forms (guys 6'3" and 305# don't usually have "purty" forms) to self-defense (who really wants me hitting them as hard as I can?) to sparring (same as above... but also learning to be a defensive fighter, so I don't waste energy / fluids chasing someone around the ring), etc.

Just some thoughts... :)

Bert Edens
    2nd Dan TKD
    Springdale, Arkansas

17. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

what type of disabilities

I have been working on a routine for people
    with only one good arm to defend themselves.
    I believe that m.a. teachers are most valuable
    in helping a person to make this happen, they
    must realize that a weakness can be changed
    into a strength. I have been very lucky to have
    teachers who are willing to modifiy my moves
    around my disabilities. Disabled people are
    already vunurable, with a good m.a. teacher,
    the disabled person is more prepared to defend
    themselves. They can be the teacher who shows
    them how to deal with what their weakness is
    and not be attacked.

18. Shesulsa

Shesulsa Valued Member

I coach my autistic son

Greetings, all. I'm new to MAP and this is my third post (I think).

Anway, my oldest son (14 yrs) is autistic and I think he has mild cerebral palsy.

He requires extra time, extra practice, drill drill drill.

I don't teach him fatal techniques yet and focus mainly on prevention and blocking. We need to get beyond the teen years before we venture into serious techniques.

SS

19. hanna_do_mulla

hanna_do_mulla New Member

I would like to hear about people with MS doing MA. I have it for 24 years now (very mild case) and did TKD until 2nd Kup without too much trouble. But i sure get tired faster then other people and have to listen to my condition very close to not over do anything during training. I would like to hear any report from people with similar expirience.