What types of disabilities are you hoping to hear from/about?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Noob, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Noob

Noob Valued Member

Good idea for a new forum, saw Yoda's post in general discussion and thought I'd saunter in to see if any other disabled MA'ists have used it, they hadn't.

Before you start wondering, I'm not disabled in any way physically, just got some things wrong with my head.

My Illness - Agoraphobia and Depression, no sympathy please, I talk about them because that way it's known and also because I suspect that another version of me could be looking at this - wishing they could take part (about a month ago I was - although I did start a journal detailing my training) and if you are, you can, you've probably allready registered a username so use it, post something.

I'd been ill for about six years before starting to recover thats the thing, for a long time you don't actually notice that your ill, for even longer it doesn't bother you that your ill. It's when it does that it becomes difficult.

Anyway thats going off topic, I joined a Martial Arts School to help me recover, to help me rehabilitate myself. I'm finding myself as being far more confident - which is a good thing...and I absolutely love training, which considering that in school I was the fat kid who would spend PE swearing at the teacher running it, and complaining about how these skills would ever be of use to us in "the real world." is to me a miracle.

Anyway I would like to know if you were planning on making this a more physical disabilities and training around them or one that can encompass all types of disabilities and deals with overcoming them.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I define "disability" as anything that takes you away from what is widely thought of as "the norm" but specifically anything widely regarded as a "disability". I would say it is relevant here if it has an adverse effect on your martial arts training.

This could be physical or mental, major of minor. I have what I would term a minor physical disability - I'm "hearing impaired" and wear hearing aids in both ears. It effects my training in that, for example, I have problems when people turn away from me when talking or "tail off" their sentences. I also have a hard time not choking people unconscious when they start talking to me as if I'm stupid just because I can't hear very well. :woo:

3. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

great Idea for a forum. I'm interested in hearing how people with missing limbs deal with martial arts, and how martial arts help them.

4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Where to start? I don't qualify for disabled tags on my car, or disability payments from the gov't... but I have 1 bad knee (torn meniscus, arthrits, damaged cartilage), myasthenia gravis, severe anemia, Barrett's Disease, carpal tunnel syndrome, plus an as yet un-identified neuromuscular problem that the doctors have not yet been able to identify. How to I train? Not too much different than I did before these problems made themselves known, although I do tell my training partner to take it easy on my knee. I am not as flexible as I used to be nor as strong. Which has made me really understand how to use my body, timing, distance, leverage, space.. to make my techniques more effective. Amazing what you learn about yourself when you know longer use muscle power to make it work. Most of all, I approach training as I do everything else, full on and make the most of it. If I get hurt, rest up, or I may not be able to train again. Don't work thru the pain. That can make it worse. Learn to adapt.

5. Noob

Noob Valued Member

Thanks for responding Yoda, I agree with the idea. The only adverse affect mine can have is not being confident enough to ask, but I'm getting over that slowly, if I have a serious question or need advice it can wait till the end of class, when I usually help my Sifu carry his gear to his car.

I've learnt to deal with what I can do and what I can't. Gradually I hope to move many things from the can't do pile into the can do pile.

I've experianced that "you must be stupid" thing myself and wanted to really, really hurt the person doing it (it was my brother and only then because he thought I was lieing about my illness - he now understands how Ill I've actually been), not because of any hearing impairment but more because I get too excited about doing "normal" things and also because I cannot do other "normal" things. For instance to me getting on a train or any form of public transport or going to a supermarket is a "worthy of a major party event". I'll talk about far too enthusiastically and remember way too many details and fill them into a conversation. On the flipside it can take me an hour to dial a telephone number. But all this isn't about training...sorry...

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

WOTD, we actually took a brief look at that in Judo class yesterday. Very insightful, It's a real eye opener.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  7. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Blind man learns Judo

I saw this on TV a while ago, and this reminded me, here is the story

I think he also learnt to plack hockey, using a puck that rattled.

8. Jim

Jim New Member

I can't see any further than about a foot in front of me without glasses/contact lenses, but that's hardly a disability. Being ugly as a hat full of ar... ummm, being ugly, now that's a disability I have to live with. ;)

I also suffer a form of agrophobia at times. Just freeze up in large crowds and feel like everyone's trying to talk to me at once. It's hard to go shopping (which I usually do late at night) without a list because I can just get caught in their for ages. Worst case was a 4 hour 'stay' in a supermarket trying to remember why I was there.

Working through it, though, it gets easier with time and once you realise you have a difficulty.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

I have made a post in another thread in here explaining it, more pics would only clutter it up ;)

|Cain|

10. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Don't know if this qualifies as a disability, but I have an inner ear disorder that causes me to have occasional episodes of vertigo (can last anywhere from a few minutes to a full day -- there is medication to deal with it, but it takes quite a while to work, and makes me very sleepy, so it's a last resort). Usually no problem in training, except in doing certain breakfalls, I have to wait for the world to stop spinning before I can get up (happens mostly on the forward ones, not the backward). If I'm having a bad bout of it, it can take me a while to get up from a takedown, too. I also have two bad knees, similar to what Kurohana described in his post. I can't sit in seiza long, can't do anything that involves kneeling, and I sometimes have to be careful how I fall out of a throw or takedown. Also, no tobi (leaping) for me. In Tai Chi, I can't go very low in Needle at Sea Bottom, for example, or in the Polishing Mirror exercise.

11. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I'm hoping to hear ideas about helping my son. He was just diagnosed as hyperactive/impulsive, and I started him in the TKD class the same day.

I'm hoping that the additional discipline will help, but there is a balance in not wanting to disturb the other class members. I have to watch him to make sure he is listening to the instructor and not running around or talking continually (again). So far, he's been extremely motivated...he can't even read yet (6 yrs old), but he has memorized all his Korean terminology for his first belt, and has learned to count to 30 in Korean by listening to the other students. He tests on his basics tomorrow for his white belt.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

He'll be fine ann, the dicipline will only do him good. The instructor will watch over him though it would be good if the he [the instructor] knows about it...

I would'nt worry much,

|Cain|

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Ann, If he's motivated, that can only be a good sign. MA can help with a short attention span, but the child needs to have an interest in it first, which it sounds like your son does. Keep us posted on his progress.

As for what type of disabilities I'd like to hear from, I'd like to talk to someone else who has my condition (dyscalculia) and see how it affects their MA, if at all. Its quite rare, so chances are slim. I've only ever spoke to/saw one other person who has it, and that was online.

14. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I personally would like to hear from any person who considers themself to be disabled. My hope is that this section will help bring the problems that are faced by disabled people and their instructors together in a knowledge base to help things work better for all

15. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Ryan passed his test for his white belt this evening! I was absolutely beaming with pride for my little guy!!

In our school, 'newbies' have to test in basic kicking, punching, blocking, attitude, kihap, and terminology to earn a white belt--Ryan got straight 'A' 's (plus a dollar $ from Mom). I was assisting at class that evening, so I had a great view for his belt ceremony, too. The whole family came just to see him.

Ryan has already started working on his terminology for his next belt, and he is trying very hard to pay attention in class.

Thanks for your encouragement, guys!

16. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

Its an ironic thought, that most every forum here could do well having a link to this one, simply because some of the crippling techniques used in them could force an adaptation in style for the loser.

I've started a small cane-fighting class where I go to college. It's pretty much fizzled out, as I really couldn't promote sparring, and be responsible for their safety at the same time (we were training in a park, not a room with a padded floor). This was all from a development in my early teens, when I had to have my left knee removed, and replaced with a titanium/cobalt joint. I still have the rest of my leg and all, but it's definately been difficult learning how to balance footwork with awareness of one's opponent at the same time.

It's tempting to sit there, and not move around whilst fighting, just because it's so unnatural with a knee/leg I can't feel. The surgeon had to sever the main nerve in my left leg (at the thigh), so the vast majority of it, I just can't feel.

I just wish there was an instructor in my area who could adapt lessons for such disabled people as myself, as my skill is totally informally trained. It's all improvisation, and raw 'talent.'

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Jewbacca, have you looked into Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu? The art is very adaptable to anyone regardless of physical strengths or weaknesses. One of our high ranked instructors has, I beleive he said, 2 artificial hips. And at the last Tai Kai, I watched a gentleman in a wheelchair succesfully take out his attacker. The art can be tailored to YOU and your body's structure.

18. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

I am interested in hearing how others adapt their training to suit their physical needs. And how they deal with modifying things when their needs may be constantly changing.

Sai

19. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

ok, here goes my 2c worth...

I have 2 pinched nerves in my lower back mainly as a result of horserelated injuries.

Sometimes I have to be a little careful in training with exercises involving bending and twisting and high stress otherwise I have problems with the sciatic nerves going mad in my left leg and foot causing days of agony.

I also have asthma.

My 8yo daughter has multiple disabilities [all cerebral palsy related from her birth] and is permanently in a wheelchair.

She can't talk or eat [she is fed a liqid diet via a gastrostomy button], nor can she walk, stand or crawl. She can nod and shake her head but has problems with head control.

She loves watching us doing martial arts and copies us doing situps and pressups. She knows 1-10 in Japanese and can do 20 of "her" situps which have really helped her head control!

She would love to join in doing MA but it is very difficult for her to move her limbs. They are really tight and stiff, with her hands mainly fisted.

I have started teaching her tensho kata as its one she can do with only her hands [leaving out the sanchin dachi and legwork] and its good for hand and arm movement.

She does Riding for the Disabled during the week at school which really helps with body awareness too - sadly it was her lovely pony that I had to have put down a couple of weeks ago, so she won't be doing any riding at home any more.

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Wow Reiki, I don't have the words to articulate how your post effected me. I think the way that you are working with and encouraging your daughter is tremendous.

As for me, as I posted in another thread, I get the opportunity to work with/teach deaf and hearing impared students from time to time. In this case there doesn't need to be an altering of techniques. But it does require me to shift my communication style (I tend to be a talker). I'd love to get some discussion going about how to convey complex ideas without either:
    a: learning ASL (or really embarassing myself and trying to finger spell everything)

or

b: having to write down every concept.

- Matt