What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I agree, an excellent first episode, lots of exposition, but didn't feel forced, fantastic fight scenes too, they felt with Picard's age very very well.

Mushroom, axelb and Travess like this.
  2. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I watched the first episode of Picard last night. It was incredible to see Sir Patrick Stewart resume his role of Jean-Luc Picard. I think I appreciate just how great of an actor he is now, than I did watching TNG as a kid.

I’m not so sure about the plot yet, though. It feels a little too new-age, Kelvin-verse for my liking. This isn’t the Star Trek I remember. Time will tell if I enjoy it.

“Nostalgia is truly one of the great human weaknesses. Second only to the neck." - Dwight Schrute

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

also watched Picard episode 1. Very enjoyable and Patrick Stewart is fantastic in everything he does :)

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like Picard a lot too. Interesting plot so far and it will be interesting to watch. Does feel a bit more Kelvin but I'll take it over STD.

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Actually I've been spending a couple days watching an old TV series, Vega$

[​IMG]

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL! I remember that show! If Netflix has it, I'm going to put in in my queue. I love rewatching old memories! :D

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Star Trek: Picard Explains Key Piece of Nero's Origin Story

It's supposed to reference the events in Kelvin, but in the normal TNG timeline, if it were just "last of TNG wine" I wouldn't really be interested, we've been there and done that.

But saying that I like DISC.

8. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I realise that but I just meant in terms of the cinematography. I enjoyed the Kelvin stuff a lot though.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I understand your reluctance to embrace the plot yet. But I like it precisely because it isn't the Star Trek I remember. The old ST series just look so dated. The new visuals are glorious, and for me at least, what a science fiction show looks like is as important as what it says and how it says it. Picard is the best damn looking Trek to date.

Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i watched 7 episodes of the mandolorian but havent watched baby yoda finale yet, picard is tonight make it so

Van Zandt likes this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I think the other key thing is that they are not limited in how they design it now. The CG for the most part is there now, it's just "how much do you want to spend?"

In this case, the answer looks to be a blank cheque.

What I enjoy most is how it all has the same aesthetic of TNG but yet better. The little replicator sequence for instance where he made tea. Just great stuff.

Van Zandt and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Star Trek Picard episode 2.

Compared to the pilot this was a much slower installment with no fight scenes, but it did a fantastic job at starting to build intrigue and tension. (Fans were forewarned that this would not be a typical Star Trek show.] The second episode touches on subjects like time and legacies, which is something the TNG series and films did very well; Generations is a particular example, which contains one of my favourite quotes of all time (spoken by Picard):

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal."

Overall, as solid an episode as the pilot, just for different reasons.

Dead_pool, Travess and axelb like this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

Yeah it's not bad but the plot has already got me a little confused/intrigued.

Dead_pool and Van Zandt like this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I finished the last episode of "the good place".
    Really enjoyed the series, but I'm glad they made an end to it instead of dragging it out like a lot of other TV shows.

15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Mushroom likes this.
  16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The final epsiode of Star Trek Picard was bloody marvellous. The scenes between Jean-Luc and Data were a real nostalgic hit in the feels, and anyone who was even remotely a fan of TNG will get a bit emotional. A brilliant series all round. Can't wait for season 2.

17. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

What do I need to watch the Mandalorian and Picard? Are both series only on Netflix?

18. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Neither are on Netflix - One is on Prime (Picard) and the other (The Mandalorian, obviously) is on Disney+ (and even then, they only have a few episodes available of the latter)

Travess

Dead_pool and Monkey_Magic like this.
  19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Finished the Witcher last night. I was slow in getting through it because the first 3 episodes were confusing. Everything is well done, but, I didn't understand the three plot lines. I couldn't even tell if they were occurring in the same country or the same time period, and that made the whole show confusing. But it was just good enough that I eventually got around to episode 4, and, wow, everything came together! It was brilliant writing for that episode. All three plot lines came together coherently, and I was all, "Dude - this is really cool!" The final episode was fantastic - I will tune in for season 2 after that ending!

cloudz and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Dead_pool

I've just finished star trek lower decks,

For anyone who watched TNG the-uss-titan-brings-big-names-to-lower-decks-1602179519.jpg the first time around, and has a sense of humour, it's great!