What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Started Better Call Saul series 1, pretty entertaining so far.
    Going to have to bite the bullet and sign up to netflix over the holidays I think.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm about to finish "American Horror Story: Hotel"; the last 17 minute are running right now.

I'm actually still rather disappointed.
    Too much gore, too much xxx.
    Don't get me wrong: Some gore is fun; xxx... well, there are people for it; normally I notice it and it is done.
    But in this season it feels like both is the main reason for the show: As much blood and as much xxx as possible.
    For me the story suffers due to it.

I even missed a little piece about the story once, but couldn't be bothered to rewind; it cleared itself later, but alone that I couldn't be bothered to check it out, is unusual for me.

On the good side: I like some of the ideas, but mainly the ones that aren't new really

And I did like some of the characters!
    Liz Taylor was rather cool; I would like to see a character like that in other shows as well.

I also thought, that the kids mostly did a good job.
    Lyric Lennons character I liked, because he was so clearly knowing about his dad sexuality and just going, so to speak, "Yep, like that".
    Another thing more shows could use!

I like parts of the end too.

But as a whole - still disappointed, unfortunately.
    I kept watching mainly because I started it and felt sort of obligated.
    (Last nine minutes running)

3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

@Latikos: My wife & I both felt the same about Hotel. We stopped watching after 4 or 5 episodes.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You didn't miss that much, in all honesty.
    Aside from the first episode I did something else while I was watching; writing here, or messages, tidying up, whatever.

I didn't do that with Star Trek: Discovery or Stranger Things.
    They had me right in front of the telly the whole time.
    And I'm not that hard to entertain.

I hope the sixth season is better again, as I think I will give it a chance and watch the pilot now.

Edit: Minor spoiler ahead, but nothing major; anyway it comes in tags.
    I did love the little scene, that essentially went:

Mr. Drake would marry a woman (I won't name the character, despite the tags) and his son going (not a quote I think, but the essence is a fit): "But she is a girl!"

5. Morik

I haven't tried Star Trek: Discovery; if its on Netflix or Amazon Prime or similar I'll try it over the holiday, perhaps.

My wife doesn't like shows that are too scary. American Horror Story stayed below her threshold for the most part, but the 6th season got to her and she wasn't able to keep watching.
    I don't really watch TV on my own, aside from Rick & Morty (which my wife loathes), and a couple other things she can't stand watching like Sealab 2021, Archer, or Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
    She does watch South Park, though it is a close call.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Star Trek is on Netflix; my Doc advised me to watch that and Stranger Things ("There is a free month, watch it" was essentially what he told me :D )

Aside from South Park I don't think I even know any of the other shows :oops:

As to the sixth season: It took me a minute longer that I want to admit it.
    In one scene, when he was shown in an dark entrance from the side, I was like: "Funny, that shape is like Cuba Gooding Jr.!"
    Yeah....
    A minute longer than I want to admit, as I took a new look at "interviewee" and afterwards at "his actor".
    So embarrassing.
    :D

7. Morik

We liked Stranger Things.

Aqua Teen & Sealab are a bit out there (Aqua Teen more so), but Archer and Rick & Morty are both really good and have wider appeal I think. Lots of episodes are online if you check the network/hulu/google it/etc.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you like Rick and morty, the kids cartoon gravity falls is set in the same universe, as the writers of each series are friends, it's obviously quite different, but it's really entertaining. Think x files mixed with eiree indiana, mixed with adventure time.

9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Restarted Smallville back in November, and have just embarked on the begining of season 3 - I have to admit that as I already had forewarning of all the shows flaws, they have proven to be a lot less jarring this time around (so far) which has made for a much more entertaining experience.

Travess

10. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Just started watching The Good Doctor oddly addictive

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Friends on Netflix!

12. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Just got done with Season 4 of 'Black Mirror'. Some seriously good episodes in there, the only turd (for me) was the 'Metalhead' episode, though this seems to be being heaped with praise.

I managed to drag my way through 'Marvel's Inhumans', this was painful, I love the comic books (do yourself a favour and pick up the first Marvel Knights run), and this was a very poor imitation of the comic book. In fact, they all looked like bad cosplay at a comic con, and not one of the big cons either!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm also watching 'The Orville' which is more Star Trek than actual Star Trek.

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

McMafia BBC1

pretty good and getting better

14. Morik

Finished Star Trek, Discovery. We liked it.

Watching the old Twin Peaks (me for the first time, my wife has seen it before) in preparation for watching the new one.

Dead_pool and Knee Rider like this.
  15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

The original Twin Peaks is my fav series of all time. I hope you enjoy!

16. Dead_pool

No you didnt, there's new episodes weekly! Starting yesterday!!

Travess likes this.
  17. Morik

Fine, fine--finished the first half of the Star Trek: Discovery season. This isn't on netflix in the US, so we had to apply for I think it was CBS all access to get it. We are likely to wait until the new episodes have all aired to sign back up as there is a monthly fee--we'll watch them all at the end of the season.

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Binge watching The Arrow at the moment while waiting for Vikings on Thursdays. Someone gave me series one at Christmas and it wasn't really something that appealed to me but couldn't stop watching it. Currently on the second session. Good thing about finding this series late is that I have a number of seasons to catch up on Prime.

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Started Dexter last night series 1, episode 1. I can see why it it got so popular, 8 series feels like a mountain to climb and wonder if we'll get bored of it. Just looking forward to more of this classic right now.

Morik and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Dead_pool

Dexter is tremendous, theres a series arc with John lithgow in a later season which is great! Also the books are very different, so worth a read if you like it!

cloudz likes this.