what to expect/how to prepare?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by rsm688, May 2, 2007.

1. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

well in about 4 weeks im going to start training in kickboxing and i was wondering what to expect my first few weeks and what i can do in these next 4 weeks to help prepare myself and get ready for it.

thanks,
    spencer

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yo Spencer.

Expect to be taken through the basics.

You will be shown a proper stance, guard and basic footwork.

You will be told and shown how to punch and kick properly, like putting your hip and legs (whole body) into it etc...

Then working on the jab to start with and getting it in your head to keep that guard up.

The best thing you can do right now is work on your fitness.

Anaerobic fitness is important. Look up fartlek training :google:

We do lots of polymeric stuff to so look into that

Good luck! ;)

3. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

thanks man

4. relish

relish Valued Member

Yer easy stuff to do at home to get a good base would be:

Pullups
    Pressups
    Crunches
    Leg Raises
    Sprints
    Jogs
    Dorsal Raises.

Tabata and fartlek training are what you want to be aiming for, best of luck! :D

5. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

what are pressups? all the others i do already so i should be pretty set there.

6. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Just curious, why are you waiting a month before you start training?

7. relish

relish Valued Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_up

You might know them as push ups ;)

8. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

ahhhh, i gotcha ;) . i do knuckle pushups 3x a week to strengthen my knuckles and wrists

because i am busy trying to finish up school and get my exams outta way and the day i finish i have a vacation to the beach and the second i get back its off to the dojo for me.

thanks,
    spencer

9. relish

relish Valued Member

Try plyometric (clapping) pushups aswell. They help build explosive power in your arms for snapping out those punches! If you've never done a MA before then watch fights on youtube aswell, shows you what works and what doesn't and can kinda get a feel for the sport. Gives you something to aim for too! Best of luck with the exams, mine are coming up too :rolleyes:

10. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

i used to do plyometrics i will add them in again. thanks for the help again, good luck with your exams man ;)

11. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Lol since we will be going to the same school I thought I'd throw my oppinion. I thought.. I was in shape, before I got there... I wasn't. Or at least not in kickboxing shape and that's for sure! I was so sore that I woke up at five because it hurt so bad. But I knew from that point on that MMA was what I wanted to do. So have you met the guys yet? Btw most of the stuff the guys say on here will be good conditioning but you won't ever be prepared for some of the seemingly udder randomness type exercises Jarret will throw at ya! A basic workout would go like this.

Stretch
    warm up (jump rope or shadow boxing type stuff)
    workout aerobic/anarobic + calisthenics geared towards kickboxing
    and then
    Kickboxing type drills and pad work
    + other crazieness Jarret puts us through!

12. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

well that helps knowing what im going to be put through, thanks man. were you sore from the aerobic or anaerobic workouts or both? i know anaerobic wise im fine, might need to step up my aerobics another notch with some more HIIT.

thanks,
    spencer

13. relish

relish Valued Member

HIIT is anaerobic training man, hence the high intensity and lack of air (anaero). Aerobics would be long distance jogging/swimming! Yer I forgot to mention that if you don't have a skipping rope.. buy one. Leather one's are better and you can get them weighted to spin faster but I've found ones without weights are still good to workout with :)

14. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

i meant aerobic :D . thanks man

15. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Yes it is most certainly a mix of both. And you don't ever really stop to rest! It's rediculous! But you will be constantly encouraged to keep it up or work harder.. Your gonna love it man. Maybe do burpee and jump rope (or shadow boxing) intervals and you'll be heading to a good start to the type of intensity you'll face. It's a pretty quick paced teaching system but if you need to have a technique explained to you he will gladly do it! So don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask. And TRUST ME! If you bring an ego in there you will get it tapped or sweated out of you! lol! I brought the little ego that I had and it was smudged out by repetitive tap outs and grueling workouts.. Just as I was getting discouraged I got a tap on a regular student! It takes a while with the BJJ but man is it fun! I'm gonna start practicing on my own again so I can have a bit of a wider arsenal once I go back!

Last edited: May 4, 2007