What to do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by blackbelt_judoj, Aug 25, 2004.

1. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Hear is the scenario...

You are attending an international martial arts course lasting a week. The days lessons are broken down into 1/2 hour slots and taken by different instructors. Out of the blue you are told to come out the front and teach WHATEVER YOU LIKE for the next 1/2 hour. The class consists of around 30 people all of similar grade to you.

What do you teach?

I only ask because i was in this very situation last week in France. I found it very hard to find something i thought people would find interesting/new as everyone was a similar grade. Luckily i have a few original ideas so i could expand on those. Is this sort of thing possible in other MAs (I personally do judo)? Is there a way of putting a fresh spin on old ideas, the way you can in judo?

So lets hear all your original ideas/twists and all those other things you have been working on for the last few years.....

2. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Dance around like a monkey for half an hour !!!

If it was me i would have froze i wouldnt have been able to teach a class of 30 people :eek:

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Depends on the level of the class. Maybe some breakfalling, moving to advanced stuff for higher grades, wrist releases for beginners, punch defences for advanced, weapons, weapons defences, it would all depend on the students, the facilities and the equipment available.

4. eonwei

eonwei Banned Banned

I would've made them all find parteners and spar for half an hour. Who doesnt like sparring right?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good question. Thankfully, when I've been called on for that sort of thing, it's generally outside my style. So I can go to virtually anything and be okay. If it's a taekwondo class, I might introduce the more thai-style round kick. Or some footwork from FMA. Or some boxing drills. Stuff that's related but wouldn't normally get addressed in their class.

Stuart

6. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

dance around like a monkey for a half an hour lol! thats funny. ummm.. i would teach form maybe or maybe my 3 self-defense combinations or 3 sparring combinations.... thats all i could prolly do. 30 people yikes i'd pee my pants... :Angel:

7. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

I'm glad to see it's not ust me that got a bit worried. Is 30 that big? What size are most of your classes? My normal judo class is between 15 - 20 peolpe, 7 of wich are usually dan grades.