What To Chose

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by silentbob3887, Aug 2, 2006.

1. silentbob3887

silentbob3887 New Member

I have been wanting to study martial arts for a long time and I am very willing to commit myself entirely to the studying it. But the problem is i dont want to start out with i style i come to find i cant get into. So i started looking around online and found a style that i thought was perfect. Its called EKITAI KENFU. I was thrilled up until i came to found its not a real style :cry:. So now i come to you guys for help.

1.) Is ekitai kenfu a real style or not?
    2.) If not then is there a similar style. The basic idea of it is to use fluid like motion with swift punches and kicks to quickly disable your opponent.

For those out there who dont mind going the extra mile and reading the site that explains it more detailed, so you know what to suggest, is narutorp.net/showthread.php?t=4312

Thanks to all those who took the time to read this and I'm excited to hear your responses.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It doesn't look like it. It looks like it's a fake style made up for a role playing game that's based on an anime TV series that's based on a fake representation of a real martial arts style.

Yes. Most kung fu styles, tae kwon do, muay thai, budo taijutsu, filipino martial arts all se fluid like motion with swift punches and kicks to quickly disable, kill, or injure your opponent.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  3. Yohan

Sorry if you caught my post before I deleted it. I was being a turd.

4. silentbob3887

silentbob3887 New Member

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anime. Trust me. But i have an idea of what elements i want from martial arts. Those are using motions that flow like water and change to suit your situation, and combo moves utulizing speed and power at the same time to defeat an opponent. And if you do suggest kung fu then you have to be more specific because i did read up on it and i found kung fu now is used as a general term for all chinese originating martial arts.

5. Yohan

The description sounds more like southern-style kung fu's. White Crane, Southern Praying Mantis, Wuzuquan (five ancestor fist), _ing _un (wing chun/ving tsun/whatever), all fall into that catagory. They mostly square off with the opponent and keep the elbows in.

Really, most styles will fit with that description (kinda). What's really important is finding something in your area.

6. silentbob3887

silentbob3887 New Member

Thanks Yohan for taking the time you've made my decision a lot easier :D .

7. LilLupe

LilLupe New Member

Not to revive a dead thread, but, I noticed this now when looking up the style. For one, the Ekitai-Kenfu is a fictional style for an anime Role Playing form, but, the principles behind it are stemmed from a real life Martial Art:

Xing Yi Quan (Hsing I Chuan)

Just thought I'd throw that in.