What the HELL just happened?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knight_Errant, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Um, something very wierd just occured. I went out to do my bodyweight circuit and I couldn't manage even ONE pullup! This is a puzzle to me as I was able to do 5 easily earlier in the week. I'm still a little sore, but not THAT sore. All I've done this week is a run and a few pullups on monday and swimming this morning. What the bloody hell is going on?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Sorry, I'll take the pins out of my voodoo doll.

3. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

maybe you need to eat something.

ha.... 5? I do my pullups in sets of 10. :evil:

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What have you been doing over the last few weeks? Have you been sleeping OK? Have you been doing the Christmas indulgence thing? Is is possible you've got a low level infection (cold/flu etc). Sometimes your body is fighting things off/recovering from something you are unaware of and you only notice it when you try to do a workout.

5. HA! That was funny LeRabbit!

Swimming takes its toll... Wait a couple of days and try again.

Osu!

6. Knight_Errant

possibly, but I was fine last week and earlier this week.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Your CNS might be cooked. Time to rest.

8. Knight_Errant

but.... but... I've got cleans scheduled for tomorrow :cry:

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wing Chun pull-ups don't count.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

not any more you don't

11. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Ha. Chun-ups.

12. Frodocious

LOL!

It might be worth giving the cleans a rest tomorrow (or if you're so OCD that you can't, just do a light set with lower than normal weights).

13. Knight_Errant

news just in: I tried eating a packet of oatcakes and a snickers bar, waiting 10 minutes and trying again, and I managed a pullup. Could it be that the glycogen levels in my 'muscles' have been depleted?

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's a possibility. The swimming will definitely wear you out though. I'd recommend either doing pull-ups the same day you swim and before you hit the water, or save the swimming for where you have a day of rest after. Make sure you're stretching your lats too.

15. Knight_Errant

right, something to bear in mind then. It's bloody alarming having all your precious pullups suddenly disappear on you.

16. Frodocious

Another thing to be careful of when using a swimming workout is that you rehydrate afterwards. A lot of people forget to do this because they don't notice that they're sweating when they're in the water.

17. Knight_Errant

cool. But I don't think I have any problems there- I drink tea compulsively.

18. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Probably just fatigue, but there's a very slim chance of a minor injury. Either way a bit of rest is probably in order.
    5 is 5, I'm willing to bet you didn't start out doing 10 reps. I'd also be willing to bet I could outdo your pullups at a heavier bodyweight, but telling the OP how much better I am doesn't exactly help with anything.

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

As hypocritical as this sounds coming from me, you need rest. I had an episode last month where I was failing weights I normally used for warm up. Took a week off(very reluctantly), did light stuff, and regained all my previous strength just fine.

20. Knight_Errant

we'll see how the workout goes tomorrow. I take a day off on friday anyway. I think it's probably just a case of waiting until my recovery ability catches up with my new schedule.