What temperature do you consider cold?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The cold isn't the problem in winter really. It's the darkness. It gets dark about 3:00 - 3:30 at the moment (it'll be earlier soon) and it's black not long after. Get that for half the year and you're ready to slice your wrists. If you don't do that, the endless daylight in summer will have you tearing your hair out.

The suicide rate is pretty high in Northern Europe.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Bozza Bostik

I used to mountain bike and use my bike for work all year round. As long as you were covered with proper clothing and kept moving it was fine. Slap on some snow tyres too. It was great fun flying through the forest and spilling off into the snow! Ice is horrible though.

My mate once asked if I skip work when it was really cold. Hah.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Had never really experienced cold (-15) once or twice till we moved to the Ohio Valley. The Ohio Valley straddles both the Midwest and the areas heading towards the SE - so one could have hot, humid summers and frigid Midwest temps - in the same year.

The last Winter we were there it hovered around -26ºC for over a week and would sometimes drop down to nearly -30.

I remember letting the dog out to relieve himself and the hard, frozen snow covered ground was so cold it would burn the pads on his paws. He got so he wouldn't want to go out.

Funny thing was after it dropped past a certain point - one didn't notice any subsequent drops. Didn't feel any colder at -30 than at -25

Unless there was even a little breeze - just enough to barely rustle leaves on a tree ( if there had been any leaves) and it was like an almighty spirit of the eternally damned shooting through you, your very core - regardless of how many layers of clothes you'd on.

Exhilarating - just so long as you'd but a few metres to walk back to reach one's warm abode

4. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. The dogs hate it. The snow, ice, grit and salt that's put down just destroys their paws. A lot of people use the little boots to protect their paws, but ours hate them and you always return home to find you take off 6...and recounting the legs, "4 each".

You have a constant battle trying to take care of the pads. Problem is if we don't drag them out, we have two very energetic dogs racing around the apartment....it always ends in tears with someone sulking under the bathroom sink! :)

Jackets are a must though and they'll wear them grudgingly.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I've noticed something. And may have found why I'm feeling colder. I eat a lot less now than I used to when I was in my early twenties. Mainly because I was powerlifting back then and would eat in the range of 3000-4000 calories a day. Last night around 7pm I made Butter and Hot pepper roasted chicken, with spinache and garlic with red tomatoes. As soon as I had the fatty/protein meal with hot pepper sauce. I was incredibly hot even with all windows open even though it was colder than in the morning/afternoon. I usually drink a warm lemon water in the morning, I added a tablespoon of hot pepper sauce to this today. I feel hot again. :) And it's colder than yesterday.

6. CrowZer0

Also yesterday, I was on 4.5 hours sleep. (Woke up naturally around 5am). Today I've had around 9, I think that contributes too.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Once Rigan Machado did a seminar in the middle of winter at our gym in Minneapolis . One of the guys had forgotten something and ran out to his car in gi pants, sleeveless rashguard and flip-flops. Rigan, wearing a heavy coat for as long as he can before starting the seminar, turns to one of our instructors and half-jokingly goes:

"My friend! Did you see this guy??... He ran outside!!...He's going to freeze to death!!!!"

Yeah, he's not used to cold temperatures...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  8. 126barnes

126barnes New Member

Very rarely gets below -15C temp wise, but with wind chill we'll easily see -30.

Coldest I've been in was -48c (wind chill) that was my first day in Northern Alberta.

I regularly flyfish in -5 weather, which isn't to bad. pretty much cut it off there because lines and guides start freezing up.

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Do you weight less now compared to back then as well?

At times I'm pretty sure I feel chilly earlier now, that I lost a lot of weight, compared to when I was still fat.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

According to my missus it's cold about 5 degrees warmer than I think it's cold.
    Our central heating is in a constant on/off cycle as we alternate walking past the control panel. :)

11. CrowZer0

Yes but I'm still a big guy. I'm at around 106kg right now at 6ft 1

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Same here. When we had two of 'em, they'd entertain each other - literally standing on their hind legs and box then it would turn into a grappling match. Lazy Sod, sweet, gentle thing he is inside with us, turns into Alpha #1 in the presence of other dogs and must dominate.

They'd come back in and the other one would be touchy and keeping his distance from Sod. - "Those suplexes are rough, aren't they bud?", lol.

Now its him following me every step I take, nudging my hands, putting his feet and torso up on my lap, wagging his tail until I take him out and then he becomes the tug o' war monster with his heavy-duty, reinforced rubber bone.

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'm reasonably impervious to cold. My mom was from north of the arctic circle in Sweden. I can handle -30C in a t-shirt and jeans for longer than anyone I know, so long as I'm not scraping car windows without gloves or something. That kills.

However, hot weather kills me. I am not happy with temperatures above 20C. 15C is t-shirt weather. 25C is gross, 30 is abysmal. 35 and I refuse to move except to procure a cold beverage.

14. CrowZer0

Me too with heat, I don't like any temperature above 24c. I've recently been eating more and drinking more due to the season of Frostivus and Winterveil, and it seems the more naughty food I have in my belly and the more drinks I have in my system. The warmer I feel. Explains a lot, I used to drink a lot more when I was younger.

15. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I like it about 12 degrees to 20. Anything higher is way too much for me.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'd rather it was too cold than too hot. At least when it's cold you can put more clothes on. When it's hot, you eventually reach a point that taking more clothes off will get you arrested! :)

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Except when its FREEZING COLD

[​IMG]

18. Bozza Bostik

It's -20 here. And according to the news were getting cold weather from Siberia so it's gonna be -25 even in the south. It's not too bad as I have some sensible winter shoes to keep my feet warm and dry. :rolleyes: Thank god I brought thermals and warm socks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm not entirely sure, but I thinks it's possible that, so far, we didn't have a single day this winter, where the temperature dropped below 0°C.
    A couple of nights, maybe, but not during the day.

And I'm fine with it.
    As long as there isn't snow, I don't need it cold; not this winter, where I'm freezing too easy anyway ;)

So - remember to keep your Siberian temperatures with you! :p