What temperature do you consider cold?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Dec 16, 2015.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What do you consider cold? When would you put a coat on, keep the windows shut, put the heating on?

I'm in Sheffield, the past 2-3 weeks have been very cold for me, and I kept the heating on at around 21c I'm indoors right now and it's 12-13c (outside) I have windows wide open and I feel cold, well my arms anyway (wearing a T shirt).

I remember when I was younger talking 5-6 years ago I would go out in just T-Shirt while it was snowing and not feel cold. So I'm trying to get used to it again (hence why the open windows).

Is there a general temperature that is deemed "cold" for humans? Is it personal? When "should" I turn the heating on or close the windows? When do you?

If I feel cold, should I just get used to it? Should I put on a jumper? Close the windows put the heating on? Cos 12c doesn't SOUND cold to me, but it sure feels it. So I'm trying to get used to it.

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You should try Tummo, like the Tibetan monks do to keep warm when meditating for long periods in the Himalayas. Scientific observation of this has actually recorded increases in temperatures in Tibetan monks that do Tummo that were at levels unique to that test group:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZUdtFu_hwI"]Tibetan Buddhist Monks Meditation and Science. Tummo meditation. - YouTube[/ame]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Your body adjusts to the cold. The first few days we get cold weather it feels really bad then after a couple of weeks you can handle it, by the time it's - 15 I am quite happy to sit outside for a short time in my underwear, tshirt and have my morning coffee (and fag when I smoked). Don't think the neighbours were too happy though.

4. CrowZer0

-15c? or 15c?

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Minus 15 c.

You have to take other factors into consideration like wind speed and humidity. I've been in - 33 or 35 and didn't know it was that cold....I've felt like death in - 2 when its been wet and windy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Too cold for me is not only a matter of temp, but wind attributing to the chill factor. I take the Fall and Winter over the Summer

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You should turn the heating on as soon as the temperature drops below 12°C inside, no matter if you're actually freezing or not - mainly so nothing inside starts to get mouldy, due to the temperature and humidity.
    The general advise here seems to be to keep it at around 16°C to avoid that.

On how soon it feels cold: The first day it felt incredibly cold when the temperature dropped down to 15°C, then I got used to it.
    And like that it will keep working: It gets colder, for a couple of day I start freezing when I only think about leaving the house, then I get used to it.

And once it really is actually cold outside, I dress properly and curse while waiting for train and bus ;)

Inside I'm more of the kind to keep the heating low but to crawl under a blanket or wear a bathrobe :rolleyes: :D

EDIT: And also what Bozza said!
    At times it doesn't feel as cold as others, where the temperature is actually lower.
    Like with snow: As soon as it snows, it doesn't really matter anymore what the temperature says, I usually don't feel as cold as the day before, no matter the temperature.

8. CrowZer0

I don't think I've ever been in -15c I think that's the temperature of ym Freezer!

9. 47MartialMan

Now you know how ice cream feels :p

10. CrowZer0

According to my thermostat my apartment, well living room at least is 16c, but my bedroom definitely feels colder (I've left the window open 24/7 for two days straight). How worried do I have to be about mildew etc? What if I was away for a week or so and house got cold?

11. 47MartialMan

Is this TOO COLD?

[​IMG]

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It depends on what clothing I have. With adequate clothing any temperature is pretty much fine, although wind can be annoying. As a kid I used to go play outside even when the temperature dropped below -40 C in winter and I never found it to be a problem. My brother and I have gone trekking and then sat shooting for several hours in about -30 C. That said many people in my hometown would bust out the shorts and t-shirts when it hit about 0 C in the spring.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

-16 is my guide for starting to get cold because the snot freezes and goes crusty when you inhale through your nose

-20 to -25 is definitely cold

-30 is horrid and the lowest i have encountered was -50....that was insane

14. Hannibal

Also worth adding humidity is a better indicator... -10 in Dry Calgary is easier than -1 in soggy Manchester

15. CrowZer0

What about clothing, leaving windows open etc? When is your coat/jumper time?

16. Hannibal

Coat at the +2 range, jumper +5 or so

Windows 0 or below

17. CrowZer0

Sheffield right now 12c, 92% humidity and 12mph winds. I can't tolerate this without a jumper. I'm becoming weak.

18. Hannibal

Your frailty disgusts me......

19. CrowZer0

Me too. :cry:

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i rode my bike during the winter vortex in 2014. -14F with -27F wind chill. aside from that, we've had a -50F (with wind chill) once in chicago. but for me, nothing keeps me from coming to work, not extreme cold, heat, snow or rain.

fun story: massive blizzard in 2011, feb. 2nd. my wife woke me up telling me our kid is coming. i had to shovel about a football field's worth of chest high snow then was confronted with a wall of snow that the shovels created. well, nothing is stopping my kid from coming, so i revved the subaru up and plowed through, jumping like the dukes of hazzard into the street. then since me and my father-in-law were the only ones on the street, we did a flying chest bump for saving the day.

there are very few weather events that can stop giovanni. short of cataclysmic tornadoes, or flooding. this is chicago.