What Tech. set are you working on?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW88, Oct 14, 2006.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

:D Thanks!

Or January maybe...

Doesn't seem to be a set order, but I've been looking at the book and there's only so many sets left.

2. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Heck, I'm working on all of them. There are still a few Ki bon soo, that I don't especially like. Obviously I am most uncomfortable with my most recent acquisitions (Maek Chi Ki 1-5), but The only times I don't have questions are when I'm too tired to remember them. By the time we start working on techniques, my mind starts to go. If I wasn't practicing at home, I might be fine with forms, but my techniques would quickly suffer, since we usually do them last in class.

3. SaBumNim

SaBumNim Valued Member

I am currently focusing on my advanced palm striking sets. That and brushing up with the ol' fans.

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I dont necessarily like the fan techniques, ya they are pretty and ya if done correctly they hurt, but there is something that always bugged me about them. Or maybe its just the fans that WKSA sells, that I dont like.

5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Maek Chi Ki 1 - forget doing it with your hands, consider it a disarming technique. Hit someone on the yuhl guyl point with a stick and see if they hang on to a knife.

I think that set shouldn't be taken too literaly. Learn the points and the timing involved with the footwork, but NEVER face your opponent at a perpendicular angle with your hand under your elbow. NEVER.

6. SaBumNim

SaBumNim Valued Member

The fans that the WKSA sells are wretched and you really couldn't do any damage with them. Buy a pair from a martial arts magazine or online. Or, do the set with Dan Bongs, then they really work :)

7. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Is there technique in the fan set that can't be done with dan bong?

I've just finshed learning maek chi ki. It's really weird so I just want to get it learned and out of the way. Hopefully maek cha ki will give me an excuse to sort out my kicking.

8. ember

ember Valued Member

We were talking about it on Saturday, a bit. Both those sets are easy to memorize, tough to master. Jsun's right on this much: at the blue belt level, just focus on the stepping, the strike, and an approximation of the pressure point.

You should get more detail at the brown and black belt levels, they're really good sets to work with.

9. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

A read a while back that these two sets and JMMKBS form the basis of Kuk Sool based self defence. Makes a lot of sense when you think about how useful the prinicples learnt would be if applied correctly.

10. ember

ember Valued Member

My last set was Wah Gi. We've still been settling in, finally got a YMCA membership so they can watch our Munchkin while we work out. So I hope we'll get some good practice in this week.

11. JKN Katrina

JKN Katrina Valued Member

Ive just been taught Keun Dae Ryuhn 8. Testing in Edinburgh on the 23rd so i'm working on all of them as much as possible right now.