What Tech. set are you working on?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW88, Oct 14, 2006.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think there a few questions we need to ask for each technique we learn.

What is the technique trying to teach us? This what karma alluded to previously. This question is somewhat abstract, but helps to tie things together as we learn more.

What attacks would lend themselves to this technique? Without thinking about possible attacks and training against them, we haven't taken the first step away from static technic practice. Here the initial position of the attack is as taught in the technique, allow with whatever else the attacker might throw at you.

What other attacks would this technique lend itself too? Similar to the previous question but now the the form of attack or position of initial grab is changed. For example, would EBS #13 work if someone grabbed the hip side of your belt and opposite shoulder (in preperation for a throw)?

2. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I'm working on Kwan Jul Ki right now, but I'm in Costa Rica and haven't been able to work out for over two weeks. I'm having to constantly go over techs in my head just to try and keep them fresh. It's amazing how quick the detail begins to fade if you don't practice consistantly. I find it interesting how KJK 3 is introduced at the JGSMS level. Does every one finish by grinding the Yul Gyul point with the partner face down?

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Doesn't KJN Roper have/ or teach a school in Costa Rica?

Edit: Just looked at the WKSA website, it's Puerto Rico.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. JSun

JSun Valued Member

If no one has opened a Kuk Sool school here by the time I'm Kyo Sa Nim, I'm on it. This place is awesome. I've seen a capoinera groupo, but no KMA schools yet. Doing hyung on the beach next to a rain forest with monkeys hanging out around you is divine. Maybe we can integrate some "monkey style" foot work into the forms? :D I'm sure the primates would get a "kick" out of it!

5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I've seen this grab in some Judo kata. I think it would work with a bit of leading. Maybe I'm short sighted at this point, but I look at EBS 13 more as a leading technique. We've practiced it with a hook sweep to the left leg at the same time as the soo do for a throw, but I've seen it executed in hapkido as a way to lead your partner to the left and then reverse the direction and pull the hand off the belt while transitioning into a outside wrist lock similar to KBS 8. The variations are limitless. You could focus on the belt grab or the shoulder grab with an AEBS 10 against the above scenerio. I wished we had more randori to try these things out, but I'd be concerned it would lend itself to a wrist injury if too much force was used. I'd have to be very comfortable with my partner.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

So I'm on Gak Do Bub now... actually just got #10 last week... and I'm having trouble remembering #s 6 and 8. Anyone got ideas? (I know more practice will help :) )

7. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

This is how I remember 6 and 8:

6 ends in the same joint lock (or close to it) as Joong Geup Sohn Mohk Soo 6

8 is about the same joint lock as Kwan Jul Ki 1.

That is how I visualize those techniques. Comparing new techs to old ones is a great way of remembering the order, just make sure you know the differing points. Eventually you will no longer need the tricks to remember them.

8. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

woohoo! I've known all of Sohn Mohk Soo since August, and as of 10 days ago, I can finally say I'm working on Eui Bohk Soo!

9. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

Right now I'm working on Wah Gi (sp?) and they are causing me some trouble, mostly because I learned them all at one time and have not had instruction on the set after that. The textbook is not too helpful on these techniques because it's always KSN and KJN rolling around on the ground. Any suggestions on how to practice these techniques effectively, it would be helpful.

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

ask which number/s you are having trouble with and you may receive. personally i like this set, one of my favorites.

11. beky_boo8

beky_boo8 Valued Member

im on goh geup eu bohk soo but i have a lot to learn before next may

12. ember

ember Valued Member

Thanks. That's exactly how I usually remember my new techniques - their similarities to the older ones.

13. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Do you have to be a black belt for that to apply? Or is there a significant degree of that for colored belts?

14. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

I would have to say, the last 4. Some I have, others I can't remeber how to get into the final position, like 15. I can start at the joint lock and kind of work my way back, but those last 4 are giving me some trouble. It got to the point a couple weeks ago, that I didn't want to practice them again until I got some more info from my instructor, to make sure I wasn't getting it wrong and having to relearn it the right way

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

You can use other clues, like opening steps. SMS 5,7,9,10 for instance.

16. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

relate techniques to older ones

As early as Sohn Mohk Soo, one can find sililarities to techniques in earlier sets.

17. ember

ember Valued Member

There is a significant degree of that for colored belts... MOSTLY starting about Ahn Sohn Mok Soo, but not exactly.

KBS #4, I've heard, is somewhat an extension of Sohn Pae Gi #5.
    SMS #1 seems to be in that family too, and also EBS #2.

SMS #9 is related to KBS #3.

That's most of what I can remember of techniques that you would know. There are more as you get further along.

18. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

not sure if this applies to this thread

Somewhere aroung 70% of all KSW techniques have foundations in KBS and SMS, if you add Maek Chi/Cha Gi, Too ki, and Bang Too ki, you'll have 90% of all KSW techiques, under master level.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

So I'm up to Jah Ki now. Things are either going to get very interesting or very boring soon... wondering if I'll be able to learn Wah Ki or johk bahng uh sool this year, they'll take some creativity to teach me safely.

20. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Hey No problem :D , wah ki though probably not until sept. / oct. ; but there are plenty of techniques you can learn instead. I dont think there is a set order to learn them.