What Sword?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by pgm316, Feb 27, 2003.

1. catharsis

catharsis New Member

"Well-known facts" are amusing.

Europeans forged steel into exceptional armour with mail backing, cunning lobstering, and plates and joints specifically angled to deflect blows. The armour was well enough balanced that people trained in its use could run, fight and ride horseback despite its weight.

And yet, people are convinced Europeans couldn't handle forging a decent sword.

:bang:

2. Domenico

Domenico Valued Member

Welcome to our cause... ;)

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

its almost enough to drive a man to drink.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

My mother bought me some beer(?) called "viking blood" for my 30 year birthday. Some day, I will paste all the worst posts preaching misunderstanings conserning WMA together, print them out and read them while emptying my viking blood-bottle :cool:

5. Cudgel

you should like publish a book on that and call it the " Viking Drinking Book"

6. catharsis

catharsis New Member

Oo, I have one:

"Battle armour was so heavy knights who fell off their horses needed cranes to get back on!"

7. Cudgel

"And samurai armor is made of super light but strong wood"

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

-yea, but that comment is to be put into the other great book; EMA; the gospell!

With other comments, like "Karate was invented so that you learned to punch through samurai armor with your fists"...

-and still you can cut through both plate and chainmail armor; especially with a "behold-bow-to-the-sword-God-KATANA", but allso even with an european sword (that of course weighs at least 40 pounds and is inferior to any eastern weapon what so ever) :Alien:

9. Cudgel

yeah because inorder for a european sword to be effective it has to be at least 40 pounds to make up for its sofft sponge like metal that hasnt been foldeed million times and isnt differntally tempered.

10. Domenico

Domenico Valued Member

I can't believe you guys don't buy that the specific gravity, mettalurgical properties, and general makeup of Steel is vastly superior when it comes from Japan... ;)

Catharsis, in case you're in the mood for a few rants along these lines, Cudgel, Stolenbjorn, Anthony Shore and myself have been lured into a few doozies, may you find them entertaining...

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=342876#post342876

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=373070#post373070

And perhaps my best all-out assualt on logic, my very first post:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=333873#post333873

<sniff> Damn, I miss the good 'ol days.... :)

11. catharsis

catharsis New Member

Good stuff !

Of course, it doesn't seem like people actually LISTEN so much, but it's nice to try ;)

12. Cudgel

It seems that some people are just stupid. So sad seeing how one of the virtues of western civillization is intelligence and what not.