What Sword?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by pgm316, Feb 27, 2003.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

After reading this months copy of What Sword? magazine which road tested Samurai, Ninja, Tai Chi and Chinese swords and now I’m a bit confused on which sword I like best! We could try and judge them on technical specifications on how good they’d be, but how important is this really? And anyway, theres good arguments for and against most swords. What I was trying to work out is which sword I think looks best. I’ve got a Chinese broadsword, its quite nice, but not as pretty looking as the Japanese swords or even the Tai Chi sword like the one from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Was wondering what other people thought?

2. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

Although I might sound biased since I am a kendoka, I would have to say I appreciate Japanese swords more than their Chinese or European counterparts.

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Personally, I'm kinda partial to the Filipino Barong, but I also like the Kampilan, Pinute, Kris, and Bolo. But, in many ways, it would depend on the job I intended to use it for. Something to hang on a wall? I'd have to go with the Kris, I think they're the most aesthetically pleasing to me. For all around functionality (i.e.: hacking through brush, bush, and flesh equally), I'd go for the Barong.

But, really, if it does the job I need when I need it, I won't complain :)

Mike

4. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

It was inevitable for somebody to say it, so I might as well be the first... I love Katana's :) They're the most aethetically pleasing to me personally, and definitely the most culturally recognizable. All of the other swords mentioned may be recognized by some people - but if you whip out a Katana, everybody will know that it is a 'ninja sword' :D

I have a fairly nice one, forged in China (ironically) and it's made out of 440s steel.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Nah, forget all that poncy stuff.

Get yourself a real mans sword.

Scottish Claymore. :D

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its amazing how different the Scottish Claymore is to the Katana, would have been a real battle between speed and power!

Sounds like a nice Katana you have there Sweet! I thought the Ninja sword was slightly different, like a straight bladed and slightly shorter Katana[?]

For the most aethetically pleasing, I'm still tied between the Katana and some of the Tai Chi swords :)

7. Spike

Spike New Member

KLINGON BATTLETH!

8. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Yeah the Katana was the sword of the Samuri's - the enemy of the early ninjas.

The ninja's used to use a ninjito - mid length, straight, one sided blade.

I'm a fan of Sabers myself and rapiers too but my fav weapon of the bladed variety would be a footman's lance (3 foot of double edged sword on 2 and half feet of handle) or Kama - not really swords but still cool.

9. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

For recreational purposes, my favourite is definitely the epée (basically a modern development of the rapier, based on the principles of duelling to first blood).

If neither party is wearing armour, the lighter sword will always win against the heavier sword (presuming both parties are trained) because it is faster and easier to control. On the other hand, you can't get a strong enough blow with a light sword to pierce armour. The sword also needs to have a grip size suited to your hand, and be well balanced.

For aesthetics, I'd agree with Andy on the claymore :D though a crafted Katana (like the one in Highlander) comes a very close second.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Barstard sword, absolutely lovely weapon.

Hand-and-a-half hilt, can be used either one or two handed depending on the situation, so it is possible to use both sides of the blade. Lot of weight behind it, but not so much that you can't fence to some degree with it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  11. johndoch

johndoch upurs

The scottish highlanders often fought with the targe (round shield) and dirk (dagger) in one hand and the claymore in the other. It was an effective method of fighting on the battlefield with a line of men fighting in unison. that was until the english discovered that there was a counter. The counter was when the two lines of each army got into close combat the english with bayonets stabbed the man diagonally in front of him rather than fight the guy directly in front. this was possible because the scots used the targe to clear the bayonet in front of them following up with a downwards diagonal strike inwards. when the targe cleared the bayonet all the englishman had to do was push forward and strike the scot that was next to his direct opponent.

Not sure what battle this tactic was first used it may have been Culloden??

12. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

The Claymore...

[​IMG]

(for those of you that were thinking of something smaller with a basket-style hilt, that's not actually a claymore though sometimes called one. Technically, it's a broadsword. The word "Claymore" is derived from the Gaelic "Claidh-mhor" which means "Great Sword".)

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

[​IMG]

GREEN DESTINY

The Tai CHi sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

[​IMG]

I like it! :)

14. Solane

Solane New Member

Hi All

Just a small point a lot of traditional Ninjas, used Katanas rather than the ninjito so that they would blend in easier. They would also shorten the katana by a few inches, as this would allow the blade to clear the sheath quicker than their opponent using a traditional length Katana so hopefully making the difference between life and death. Its not what you know or use, but what the other person thinks you know or are using.

Solane

15. khafra

khafra New Member

For sheer effectiveness, I'd have to go for the Roman shortsword--ugly, but it sure worked for them. I do like Katanas for the aesthetic effect, as well as their personalities--the characterizations of them as Kami, or spirits, had some good foundation.

My favorite sword that I own, though, is my NCO sword I got in the Marines. If you have to ask, you'll never know :D

16. Spike

Spike New Member

Claymore, an effective weapon, for killing oxen

17. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I actually heard that the Ninja-To didn't even exist in feudal Japan, that it was a sword and myth created very recently. But I don't remember where I heard that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mike

18. Solane

Solane New Member

Hi Pesilat (Mike)
    I have heard something similar as well but not sure where.
    The straight bladed single edged sword is easier to make than a katana, Also the ninja did not revere their swords the same way as the samurai as it was just a tool to be used.
    I seem to remember seeing a book by Hatsumi with a discussion on the weapons used and when they actually started to be used. I don’t own it my brother does so I will try and find out off him if he knows where he has put it in his new house. :)
    Don’t hold your breath though. :)
    I will put a post in the Ninjutsu forum as one of the senior Dans may have a better Idea or memory. :)

Solane

19. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

The ninja sword, along with the notion that bad ninja always wear black as opposed to the good ninja who wears white and disappears in a cloud of smoke, seems to be a product of modern films and manga (boy's comics).

20. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

There is no sword better than the Katana. That is something you can ask any historian and he will tell you the same.
    Why? because of several reasons really, but to name a few will be fine.

It's strength.
    The sharpness of the weapon.
    How it was made.

This is something that can be looked up on many different sites I would bet.