What styles are there?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by MD5, Feb 7, 2004.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

You can use internal or external techniques in your training but something has to dominate. The middle ground between the two isn't an effective fusion, it's a watered down version of both.

2. MD5

MD5 New Member

Well thank you you people agruing over style being internal or not, I actually thought that I used some internal strength in my TKD training! Hmm well, I always thought that chi = qi = ki = internal vital/strength whatever you want to call it... so there is Tai Chi. Bagauzhang (Pa Kua Chuan) and Hsing-Yi (Xing Yi)? Does anyone know them in Chinese Characters? And can somebody tell me a better description because I don't know much about internal art yet... maybe I know more when I see the Chinese translation for them... I am also thinking about aikido/hapkido, are they some sort of internal art as well? They surely have the word "ki" in them!

3. MD5

MD5 New Member

I just did a google on them:
    Bagauzhang = 八掛掌
    Xing Yi (Fist) = 形意拳
    Right?
    It seems like Xing Yi would be the must for me... I am still not very sure... how about the IA (Not AI!) you guys are doing?

Another rather silly question just popped out of my mind, not that I believe in Crouching Tiger HD nor Shaolin Scocer, one of the many novel of acient Chinese martial art has got stuck into my mind: 吸星法, which is a method to "suck" other people's chi when they release it, and untill foe's chi is all turned up into your body and he will die out of qi... can it be done in ANY way?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Must...not...make...sucky...joke.

Damn.

5. MD5

MD5 New Member

No I did not make that up... just forget about it... what about my other questions, do you have any ideas?

6. MD5

MD5 New Member

What do you mean by flowing water?? Anyway, I DO NOT want to studying it from book/video, I want to goto an actuall gym/dojo to do it, and it now seem like that I should go with Tai Chi...

7. MD5

MD5 New Member

Well I think I found a Tai Chi gym/dojo in my location: http://www.taichiacademy.com.au what do you think? Do you think it is good or not? It is Hun Yuan Tai Chi as well as Wu Dao Gong...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Tai Chi practitioners use something like the Wing Chun sticking hands technique. By making light contact with an opponent they can feel the intent to move in a given direction and can redirect the force as needed.

For example: Most CMA teach controlling the elbow when blocking hand strikes. The main reason for this are the internal arts (tai chi in particular). If they encounter resistance at the wrist while striking they collapse into the resistance and strike with the elbow instead (i.e. stop the punch at the wrist and get an elbow to the face). Like water; when met with an obstacle , you go around the resistance.

The school you listed seems good. They don't mention application though. They seem to focus on the health and harmony side (not that that's a bad thing) It depends on what you're hoping to achive. Their less combative gentle approach might be just the thing if your looking to counter the more aggressive combative TKD aspect(yin/yang).

If you are looking for something that reasonates closer to your current style, Hsing-I has a good direct dynamic side that you'll find familiar and comfortable.

9. MD5

MD5 New Member

Yea I was thinking about between Hsing and TaiChi, go I went for a search for both of them in my local area, no results for Hsing but a lot of Taichi. And in one of the many Taichi ONE have mentioned Ba Gua & Xing-Yi(Hsing Yi), which is the site I mentioned above, here's the link for the specific page: http://www.taichiacademy.com.au/courses2.htm
    look at the middle of that page to find their description for Wu Do Gong, which made me extremely confuse, so I sent them an email, their response is that I should do Wu Do Gong for martial art need.

10. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Sifu described it to me as "A shark circling its prey before striking and biting and making millions in the box office" :)

11. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

try spelling bagua as paqua when do search-same thing,just different spelling.
    hsing-I I believe is same thing as Xing yi.

12. MD5

MD5 New Member

That's what I have done, there is no such thing in my local area but that Tai Chi thing I found have mentioned about them.

13. SliqueRICK

SliqueRICK The Internal Boxer

14. SliqueRICK

SliqueRICK The Internal Boxer

oh also try searching pakua or pakua chang