What styles are there?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by MD5, Feb 7, 2004.

1. MD5

MD5 New Member

I have been training in TaeKwonDo, that is External Art right? Now I want to try Internal Art as well, but I know virtually nothing about it, I don't even know what styles are there, can somebody help me find some styles and tell me abit about them? Maybe some that goes well with Taekwondo? Thank you!

2. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

I don't know any type of internal martial arts that is similar to Tae Kwon Do, but I know Tai Chi is internal.

3. MD5

MD5 New Member

Is Tai Chi the only one available out there? Well there must be different types of Tai Chi... Well I have seen groups of old age people doing it in the morning, and I am sure that is not what I want to do, I want to do one that is more for fighting/sparring if there is such thing...

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

There are actually many branches of Tai Chi such as Sun, Yang, Chen. The one you have probably seen is Yang Tai Chi. Bagauzhang (Pa Kua Chuan) and Hsing-Yi (Xing Yi) are the other major Chinese internal arts.

Quick synopsis:
    Tai Chi - sticking, flowing water like movements.
    Bagua - Circular movements and walking; guerilla tactics strike and move.
    Hsing-I Linear, The most direct of the internal arts. Some similarities to western boxing.

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

:)

6. SliqueRICK

SliqueRICK The Internal Boxer

other internal styles baji piqua and yiquan hey is tongbei internal

7. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Goju,is an internal style.

8. SliqueRICK

goju ryu karate isnt an internal style but it has an advanced internal set from the the style it developed from ngo cho kuen

9. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

If you want to learn more about internal arts, you should check out
    "the power of internal martial arts" by B.K. Frantzis. This is one hell of a resource on the subject, and I have never seen another book give such in-depth analysis of internal workings. Don't expect a how-to manual, however.

10. SliqueRICK

its a pretty good book for all three but the best taiji quan book ive seen is tai chi classics

11. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Launch a surprise attack then disengage only to circle around and repeat the process. It sounds funny, but have you ever tried to punch someone who's running away from you? It is kind of hard to get a solid strike isn't it.

12. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I do not know what you are basing your definition of internal martial art upon, but I have been taught by the master Sensei USA Goju that Goju IS an internal system. Also, read about the teachings of Gogen Yamaguchi and his focus on the internal nature of the art form.
    Does an internal system have to be of a certain liniage? I do not think so.

13. SliqueRICK

the focus of the art is developing qi and developing fah jing is every form in your system internal if not its not an internal system if we went by that then tons of more style would be internal almost eveery style has some internal attributes that dosent make it an internal style

14. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I am having trouble reading your post, but you say "qi" and I say "chi". Same thing perhaps. The focus of what we do is the development of our chi amoung other things of course, but chi development none the less. And, again, I feel as though you are steriotyping based upon an historical definition or perception that does not apply to what I know is true.

15. SliqueRICK

its not just historical the point is almost every style there is internakl to some extent some more than others but internal martial art is the term for arts where that is the main focus yoou wont see wing chun guys focusing on developing foh jing or karate guys doing that oh yea qi is the spelling for internal energy chi and ji are usually for ultimiat as in tai chi chuan or taijiquan

16. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I think we have a laguage barrier here. Chi is what is what I call internal energy. And, if you had the opportunity to witness first hand you would see that chi development is a major component in Goju Karate.
    I do not know what you mean by foh jing. Please explain,

17. SliqueRICK

fah jing is issueance of power im not really good at explaining fah jing http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/splitting/fahjing.html this is kinda like emperors long fist there is an external and internal side but if somone focused on internal i wouldnt say its internal thats just there focus you can even meet tai chi people who focus on just external and not using there internal power but its still an internal art lets just agree to disagre cuz its time for me to get something to eat

18. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Many martial arts progress from external to internal in their training, and aren't necessarily part of the big three (tai chi, bagua, and hsing i). Many systems are out there that utilize internal techniques that none of have ever heard of. Best to keep open minded about it.

19. SliqueRICK

did you not read what i said there are many stystems that utilize some type of internal training but would not be classified as internal

20. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Yeah, I read your post. My point was that it is sort of futile to split hairs with people about what you classify as internal and external, because unless it is one of the three main internal arts, it is all pretty up for discussion.