What style

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by kingdoms, Jun 23, 2004.

1. kingdoms

kingdoms New Member

Hey all, i am new here and like to congratulate you on such a nice forum.

Well any, at age 3 i was diagnosed with cancer in the muscle of my right leg, and the only way they could save my life was to amputate. I am now an above knee amputee and wanting to start some martial arts. this leg doesnt hold me back much, but it will limit my kicks to probably on my left leg.. I was just wondering if there was a Martial arts that would be better for me to some ( like as in they use less leg attacks then hands)..

Anyway thanks for helping

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hey, welcome.

Wing Chun or Fillipino Martial Arts would be a good thing to look into for starters.

Anyone else?

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Anyone seen Jewbacca lately?

I believe he had a very similar situation to yourself kingdoms, and was making use of his cane as a weapon based on Stick fighting.

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Sorry to be nosy but it would also help to know what type of prosthetic you are using. Do you have a full leg with a foot that feeds back energy or do you rely on crutches or wheelchair primarily? The amputees we know ( one has an arm removed and another his leg from hip down) have both concentrated on fma's and stick work.

5. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

where you from? well theres a Filipino Martial Art called Sari-An. well ive heard that they use their punches more than their kicks. and one of their best fighters has cancer too. in the colon i think. try to check your area out, if u have FMA their, ull definitely hav Sari-An. well if your wonderin what Sari-An is, ummm, its pretty much like bruce lee's jeet kun do. well so ive heard. hehe. well ope u the best with your training. more power =P

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Is it possible for you to do the footwork of boxing? If so, an all-hands style like boxing might be a possible solution.

7. kingdoms

kingdoms New Member

I have a prosthesis , with a suction cap.. Most people dont even realise i have one leg wwhen they see me. its not untill they get to know me. that they actually realise the minute limp i have and go wow.

So to answer your question to an average person, i have a fake leg.

Boxing is an option, but not one i want to take.

I can still do stance and basic foot work. but i just think ill have trouble do high kicks with my right leg
    that is all.

BTW im from australia

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  8. danceofdeath

well you could also try yawyan. its an FMA too. although we normally concentrate on our kicks, we have 40. we have 12 different types of punches. and a lot more elbow techniques. the question is.. where you at? i mean of course ud also want a martial art which has a gym/dojo near you right? well i know i want to hav a yawyan gym near my house. it takes me 1 1/2 hours for me to train. lol. damn. =P

9. kingdoms

kingdoms New Member

Brisbane, Aus

Yeah i would want a gym / dojo near me. I'd want to train in any free time.

10. danceofdeath

well id recommend to scout your area first. try to learn bout the different martial arts in your area and then decide what suits you best. =P