What style of silat do you practice?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Crucible, Aug 8, 2004.

1. bayu segara

bayu segara New Member

yea something like pernafasan, but you don't breath just exhale until your oxygen out from your body and then execute a few movements. If you mean with dry breathing/'nafas kering'

2. Joe Aaron

Joe Aaron New Member

I also train in minangkabu harimau pencak silat and have just started, I train at the yoorkshire silat academy and had my first lesson last thursday. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Joe,you got a great teacher,say hello to paul for me please :)

4. pengolahanjunki

pengolahanjunki New Member

So when you bwen(sp) nafas and push it all out, you don't tarik a small amount of air and hold that air in dada? Crazy.....that's intense. It makes sense though, we are told that over time, we should decrease the amount of air we take in while doing pembinaan and pengolahan. he goal being able to fight without breathing, I guess. And blindfolded, hehehehe

5. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

still doesnt make sense to me. i'll just find me a silat guro :bang:

6. bayu segara

bayu segara New Member

actually i don't hold the air in my dada because no more air in my dada. And we also my mas would know if some one doing a mistake by hold the air in dada because when we 'buang nafas', we would hear ssssssss. but if you don't hold the air at all in dada and then 'buang nafas', you would hear nothing. usually mas mas would say ok....you pushed up :D for the people who has made a mistake.
    I practise getaran once a week. it's a great time for me and challenge me.

7. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

hey Krys. where do you study Lincah?
    regards
    Glenn

8. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

I pratice the style of Pukulan Pentjak Silat Serak and this style teaches knife, stick, and staff.

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Cool. Whom do you study with?

10. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

I study with Guru Ray Graham in CA. He is a great teacher.

11. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

I quote from site of Ray Graham:

"one of the four full Gurus of Serak in the world"....

ahum.. aren't there some more gurus in America and Holland as well?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Redstorm, I don't want to cause unnecessary trouble, but your teacher's website isn't quite complete.

Guru Graham is one of four people whom Victor de Thouars currently recognizes as a completed Serak student. There were quite a few others over the years such as Bob Vanatta. His older brothers Maurice and Paul have turned out completed students. One of them, Stevan Plinck, is my teacher. Some of these men have passed the system on to students of their own.

There is plenty of Sera/Serah/Serak/whatever the spelling is this week outside of the de Thouars. The de Thouars brothers learned from their cousins the de Vries. The de Vries live in the Netherlands.

Sera is certainly not extinct in Indonesia. It's not hugely popular, but it is around. That's where the Suwanda family is from and why it's part of Mande Muda. They aren't the only teachers. A couple pesilat I know have made the trip and learned Sera in Java from a variety of teachers.

13. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hi Todd,

Any contacts for Sera(k) in Java, as I'll be there for a month or two next summer?

Please PM me.

Cheers

Martin

14. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Gajah, I responded to you by PM.

15. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I practice a combination of Pukulan Cimande Pusaka and Kalasag Kuntao Silat.
    I also trained at Sityodtong Academy with associates of Mark Delagrotte.