What style of silat do you practice?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Crucible, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hi,
    What style of silat (or kuntao) do you practice and where and who did you learn it from? Just want to get a sense of the wealth of knowledge in this forum.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Pukulan Cimande Pusaka from various teachers under Pendekar William Sanders.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Sir,
    Would you please tell us a little about your lineage of Cimande and of Pendekar Sanders?
    Thank you.

4. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Also I would be intrested if others would be willing to state if thier training included weapon arts and breathing/meditation.

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

If you are really interested in the lineage, I would recommend you check out www.cimande.com for more information. It would be far easier to read what's posted there than for me to write what has already been expressed in a far more articulate manner.

Selamat

6. krys

krys Valued Member

Apart from Hadji's silat I study silat lincah , I used to practice Setia Hati Terrare, silat Gayong and for a very short time a malaysian turtle based system while I was in Malaysia.

7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thank you, Its a very full website. I'll have some questions when I've fully imersed myself in it.

8. Fist Of Legend

Fist Of Legend New Member

I practice Bongkot harimau style. I also did Manyang (wasp) and Pamor Badai. http://www.silat.be it's a verry good website with a lot of information (it's my club :D )

9. mdz81

mdz81 Valued Member

10. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Salam hormat,

I studied:
    1. Silat Cekak Hanafi: 1995-1996-Learned from YM Md Radzi Hj Hanafi (through cikgu Che Yusof Che Mat). Mainly empty-handed. No weapons form learned yet, usually adapted.
    2. Silat Melayu Keris Lok 9: 1997-2003-Learned from founder Guru Azlan Ghanie. Main weaponry-Keris. Adapted weaponry: Stick, Sundang, Sword, Staff, Tekpi, etc. Includes basic and advanced breathing methods. No meditation.
    3. Silat Kuntau Tekpi: 2001-2002-Learned from Guru Sani Zainol Abidin (through cikgu Norazlan Wahid). Mainly empty-handed. Main weapons form: Tekpi.
    4. Silat Kuntau Sendeng: 2003-Learned from Guru Jamaludin Shahadan. Mainly empty-handed. Main weapons form: Keris, Tumbuk Lada, Sword, Stick, Kerambit.
    5. Silat Abjad: 2003-Present-Learned from Ustaz Ahmad Che Din. No silat techniques involved. Religious lessons only.

Salam persilatan,

Saiful Azraq

11. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Martial arts that i studied

Peace to all,

1) World Tae Kwon Do Federation: 1987-1992
    2) Choy Lay Fut: 1998
    3) Shi-Kendo: 2000-2001
    4) Silat Pauh Minangkabau: 2002-2003
    5) Silat Kuntau Tekpi Malaysia: 2003-Current

Peace

12. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Sir,
    could you please tell us a little of the basic and advanced breathing methods you learned?
    Thank you.

13. paulcaz

paulcaz New Member

I train in Menangkabau Harimau Pentjak Silat, been doing it for about 3 months so just stratching the surface of this fascinating art.

Paul

14. Saiful Azraq

Salam hormat,

I apologise for my lateness in answering. I was away from the computer for a week or so. On to the topic!

As with most things in Silat, to explain in writing will only increase the complexity and comprehension of the subject discussed. Therefore, I will try to remain as far within the boundaries of normalcy as possible.

In Silat Melayu Keris Lok 9 (Lok 9), the 'basic' and 'advanced' breathing methods are not separate entities, just one breathing method used in different situations. Some people suggested its relationship to Sufi forms of breathing but I have personally not verified this.

The method is called Nafas Melayu (Malay Breath) and consists of inhalation through the nasal cavity and compression (not contraction) of the stomach muscles, creating a slight pressure in the lungs and lower back. Good posture is a side-effect of this. At the same time, the internal organs are put into a tensed state. For stamina purposes, the breath is held for various increased counts and released. This slowly acclimates the lungs to absorb more and more oxygen on every breath. This process usually takes 6 months. The compression is held even during normal functions such as prayer, walking, standing, running and results in a marked change in stamina and loss of breath. *However, to avoid possible misuse and damage to the organs by anyone reading this, I have left out one key element of this exercise.

After 6 months, the student progresses in identifying different muscles in the abdomen that is affected by and affects the breathing process. Understanding this correlation helps the student to contract certain muscles to "keep the breath locked" in one or several of these points at once (There are seven, collectively called 7 Makam or 7 Places) for different purposes. Speed (for multiple hand attacks), Agility (for langkahan), Flexibility & Flow (for locks and unlocking), Power (for full body weight impacts), Balance (for jatuhan and sweeping), Strength (for high-impact punches and kicks) and Sensitivity (to connect all 6).

Different silat categorise different ways using different words, in fact even the experience differs from one pesilat to another. The key point is to identify these points on your own body and to make use them when and where necessary. Additionally, none of these seven are independent but alternate between one and the other and shift back and forth to achieve the pesilats goals.

Salam persilatan.

Saiful Azraq

15. krys

krys Valued Member

Good advice Saiful Azrac, one shouldn't practice without proper instruction if he doesn't master the whole procedure

I heard that sentence too :) , I have my own idea on this but what is your opinion on how silat breathing increases the speed of hand attacks?

Thanks.

16. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I've been training buka jalan pentjak silat for a few months. Its been primarily empty hand training and we did one class with daggers which was very interesting.

thanx moe389

17. Saiful Azraq

Salam persilatan,

Although I have yet to fully understand the complexities of this method, but practising and experimenting with it on a day to day method has left me with this thought: Many martial arts train with breathing methods to increase intake of oxygen and facilitate calmness. However, Nafas Melayu simulates a situation of low-oxygen whereby the pesilat is forced to operate in breathlessness, pain, confusion, panic, stress and many others especially if attacked by multiple opponents and with weapons.

Used improperly, it causes long term damage and loss of muscular control (twitching, cold rushes, etc) but when taught correctly, the method has proven invaluable in a normal daily setting to 'switch on' to combat mode almost immediately. I have seen some of my seniors able to absorb oxygen so efficiently they achieve a sort no-breath state. You cannot tell when they're inhaling or when they're exhaling since they do it so quietly and finely. A sort of unexplainable aerobic/ anaerobic marriage.

As for the speed factor, contracting the muscles in the upper chest cavity (can't really describe where) creates a relaxation of the shoulders and allows the hips to move freely, akin to the silver thread theory in Taichi or the Alexander technique in theatre, though that's the closest example I can give.

Hope it helps.

Saiful Azraq

18. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thank you.

19. studionaga

studionaga New Member

I study Poekoelan Tjiminide Tulen with Mas Goeroe Barbara Niggel, since 1988. We do study and practice meditation and dynamic breathing techniques, through compression and lowering and expanding qualities of breath for flow, stamina and power. Meditation is an intrinsic aspect of study and healing.

in peace,

studio naga

www.studionaga.com

20. Saiful Azraq

Salam hormat,

I just visited your website, Studionaga and am impressed! Would you mind at all sharing a little of the breathing and meditation techniques you studied?

Salam persilatan,

Saiful Azraq