What style of Kenpo does CHA-3 Kenpo teach

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Corrmaz, May 1, 2013.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

There is an instructor by me who received his black belt from Professor Marino Tiwanak of CHA 3 I was just wondering what style of Kenpo CHA 3 taught, more specifically what George Lim teaches.

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

CHA-3 Kenpo is an offshoot of Kajukenbo.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I kind of answered this in this post in another recent thread:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074748188#post1074748188

4. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Well what I really want to know is what Kempo George Lim teaches

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Maybe this video will help you see:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XkKyL0elj4"]GM George Lim performing for the World Head of Family Sokeship Council 2001 - YouTube[/ame]

Note that this video is twelve years old. What I saw more recently (November or so 2012) was that more MMA type training has been included in what is taught in GM Lim's school.

Corrmaz, I don't know exactly how much about Kajukenbo and kenpo karate you know about, so some of what I say may just be something you already know or you may have learned differently. Assuming that someone knew very little, I would start by saying that Kenpo karate was developed in Hawaii in the first half of the 1900s. Before that, it has roots from many places such as China, Japan, Okinawa, Philippines, America, Hawaii, and other places. Hawaii was a melting pot of many cultures and they all had brought their martial arts from other places.

Kajukenbo was founded between 1947-1949, with Sijo Emperado and the four other co-founders all being very young men. When it was founded, it was designed for the streets of Hawaii. It was a basic system and was not yet called Kajukenbo. It was referred to as Kenpo karate. Around 1955, one of the students (Marino Tiwanak) formed his own school and it became CHA-3 Kenpo Karate. We can say that CHA-3 and Kaju are brother arts from the same root.

What GM Lim teaches may be technically a combination of Kajukenbo and CHA-3 based on the more than 40 years he has been in the martial arts. He could just lump it all together and call it Kajukenbo and he would not be wrong. It is what it is.

In addition, as I mentioned before, there may be more MMA type training included in GM Lim's schools these days.