What style is the scorpion kick from?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by adAstra, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Where are you getting this ridiculous notion from? There are innumerable examples of cocky, brash and arrogant practitioners from the various disciplines - Oyama was an absolute douche for example

2. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Let's say that from people who have seen more in life than I did. Also from my own experience. No need to call it ridiculous just because you don't agree with that.
    I know that Oyama wasn't a perfect example of humbleness, but he was so good because he trained with insane dedication and intensity.
    Still, he wasn't an "absolute douche". I don't know where you got this "ridiculous notion" from.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

A quote from the "absolute douche":

"One living daily in the Way carries their head low and their eyes high; reserved in speech and possessing a kind heart, they steadfastly continue in their training efforts."
    ~Mas Oyama~

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It's almost like people can be absolute douchebags even if they are extremely dedicated to their craft and say humble things.

5. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Depends on your definition of the word douchebag.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

There are certainly "a few" individuals who get quoted from their writings/teachings about high principles/ethics/philosophy/etc-usually when they're past their peak years,have mellowed a bit and aren't the animals they were when younger. Oh, and let's not forget all the nasty MA politics.(Yang family T'ai Chi,anyone?)

posted by Nykout-
    To you.And that opinion is fine.But it's an opinion not based on any facts,just a moral/ethical perception.

If a guy is very personally humble but works as an enforcer is he a better or worse martial "artist" than someone not as skilled but more law abiding? Or better than someone at the same level of skill who is not breaking arms and fingers for a living but is still generally a nasty jerk in everyday life? "Better",when pertaining to things outside of combat,is simply too subjective.

7. Hannibal

You mean like Mcgregor?

Your metric is so flawed you cannot even agree with yourself

8. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I agree, it is in a way a matter of opinion.

9. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

No, I don't mean like McGregor.
    Before you place judgements read my posts more carefully, I did not make a logical gaffe.
    Also chill down, MAP's angriest resident.

10. Hannibal

The metric you just applied to qualify Oyama as a "true martial artist" is a mirror of Mcgregor

I read it perfectly - so you either have a ridiculously loose metric or a really bad short term memory

Won't happen - better than you have tried and failed at achieving this :)

11. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Even though both share similiarities, they were totally different people in many aspects. This thread's title isn't "Biography of Masutatsu Oyama", so if you need confirmation of the difference between them, you can google it up. Or ask on this website.

Neither. We just have different value systems, and on this subject there is no point in arguing.

I thought so. I would also suggest ending this thread, since the main question here was already answered.

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I received a heated response after saying just this on anther thread. :)

I think it really depends on ones own personal definition of a kick. If you think a kick is like a punch then the intention is for it to deliver power.

But as was pointed out. their are other legitimate uses of the hands and of the feet, wedging, deflecting, blocking, even distracting may have a legitimate role in practical fighting technique.

This said I am totally with you on this one. If a kick does not have power it is not a kick. (it is something else).

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwp7ifPKKTk"]Dongbei Chuojiao [东北 戳脚拳] - YouTube[/ame]

This application appears in many styles, we call it a horse kick. It is a very powerful finishing off kick. First control the opponent, e.g bend them forward using an arm bar. Get their head below your waist height. Then heal kick them in the head. The power is nasty.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

As long as they keep thinking that then Mister Miaygi has already won. The battle is won before the battle. :bow1:

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I have known that the low version was call the horse kick. I have heard it also called a cobra kick. The higher version came to be known as the scorpion.

In my younger years, I was shown this lower version by my Shimu who had studied Ditang. (She had a lot of low kicks that were hidden-stealthy as well as combat tumbling)

I was using it in tournaments, but not before I had perfected it to hit the stomach/mid section, as I did not want to tag people in the groin in tournament play

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree!

When your opponent stays in a low wide horse stance, if you "彈(Tan) - Spring" one of his leg from inside out, you can take him down with little effort. Should we call that "彈(Tan) - Spring" a kick?

Sometime you just want to "stick" your leg on your opponent's leg so you can slide down your leg along his leg, hook your foot behind his ankle, and scoop his foot off the ground. It's a kick but you don't want to use too much power to force your opponent's leg to move away and lost your "sticky" contact.

- A punch can be used to set up a pull.
    - A kick can be used to set up a scoop.

Whether we should call that punch or kick is not important IMO. Should we call the following leg movements as kick?

踢(Ti) - Foot sweep,
    撮(Cuo) - Scooping kick,
    粘(Zhan) - Sticking kick,
    彈(Tan) - Spring,
    挑(Tiao) - Hooking kick,
    掛(Gua) - Inner heel sweep,
    刀(Dao) - Inner sickle,
    别 (Bie) - Break,
    撩(Liao) - Back kick,
    切(Qie) - Front cut,
    削(Xiao) - Sickle hooking,

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Alternatively [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpqMWj_ZmI"]Uchi Mata Breakdown with Sambo Master Vlad Koulikov - YouTube[/ame]

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Agreed and we don't want to get bogged down in semantics. At the same time, however, I think it is important to allow for the fact that different people may have equally valid but different usages of even apparently simple / obvious words such as kick.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ionkick.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080506152007

Cynthia Rothrock did it before she was born!

edit - ahhh its different - my bad

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssRXYrRNuI"]Chloe Bruce Scorpin Kick Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssRXYrRNuI"]Chloe Bruce Scorpin Kick Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

That look like "挑(Tiao) - Hooking kick".

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u2yA8LWGsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u2yA8LWGsA[/ame]