What style is the scorpion kick from?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by adAstra, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Humility is not the same as agreeing with any old crap spouted by some no-mark

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Just a general Mod warning to everyone, let's keep this thread civil, please. :)

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Perhaps I was a little bit too harsh with the 99% this 1% that statement, but humility is not overreacting offensively when somebody just states his opinion and tries to provide a different point of view. Thus despite all the shiny award stickers next to his profile picture, Van Zandt fails to meet the basic principles of martial arts.
    Yes, in the world of martial arts I am a no-mark, but I have enough experience to understand basic and more advanced principles regarding kicking. Surely more than I would have if I trained JKD.

Curious how Chloe Bruce forgot to mention in her resume that all the titles "WKA World Champion" fall under category of performing forms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find a single video of her fighting in any kind of tournament.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. Hannibal

Just JKD? perhaps - though not by definition....against someone with vast experience in kicking systems? not so much

5. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

You are now talking about effectiveness of this particular kick against certain martial arts practitioners?

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Since when is humility the basic principle of martial arts? All kinds of fighters are arrogant jackanapes, they can still fight better than Mister Miyagi.

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

HERESY!

(And bad P.R.!)

8. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Don't confuse martial arts with martial sports. Although these two terms intertwine, they are not synonymous.
    Let's take McGregor as a recent example of a good fighter who is extremely arrogant. He won against Aldo because he was better prepared for that fight both physically and mentally. It's not that humility will magically make you an ultimate warrior, but it is necessary to develop yourself and continue your physical and mental progress.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We have our winner for, 'Best use of the word jackanapes, 2016. '

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Those shiny stickers are for giving people advice on this site. Free advice, I might add, which I could easily charge a handsome sum for. Helping people probably doesn't classify me as a martial artist under your definition, so how about these "shiny awards"?

They're all for sparring, by the way. Most were under full-contact rules, in open weight divisions (some of the gold ones even say "World Championships" on them.)

Attached Files:

11. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

All for sparring? All the information about Chloe on her website, in her resume, as well as interviews with her state that those medals and awards are for forms competitions.
    There are also no videos of her fighting in any kind of tournament, even though I searched for them for over an hour.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Go back and read VZ's post again. You owe him an apology.

Mitch

13. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Yeah right, I'm sorry Van, thought you were talking about Chloe's achievements.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's cool, man. I just don't get the hate for Chloe. She's a world champion in her preferred competitive division. She doesn't hit anything; big deal.?She's no less a martial artist.

15. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Meant no hate, I just sometimes forget that it's not all about fighting.
    If I may ask, what styles are you training in?

16. Hannibal

Again though it is a very subjective measure

Do you practice killshots and lethal techniques regularly? No you do not so by MY standard the arts are not up to par....does not mean they can not offer elements to a greater whole

Significantly you acknowledge VZ as having "legitimacy" in your eyes, and he has spoken highly of Chloes sparring....so can you see the dichotomy in your thought process?

17. philosoraptor

McGregor has devoted himself to his mental and physical progress in martial arts much more than I have. Ultimately, he's working a lot harder than I am. I'm the better martial artist because I'm more polite? Doesn't make sense to me, we're not talking tea and crumpets (although I am down for some tea and crumpets).

18. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Depends on what you mean by "killshots and lethal techniques". If strikes to the throat, occiput and lumbat count, then yes I practice them, of course on a dummy and not on another person, and I hopefully will never have to use them. But I get your point.

Yes, but I am used to verifying information (especially if it's partially subjective), from my own experience, or from what I see. Not being able to find any footage of Chloe's sparring or tournament fights, I have to resort to Van Zandt's own experience (which, looking at all his achievements, is very trustworthy). Still, I would need to see it with my own eyes to tell.

19. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

If you were working as hard as he is, had the same talent and devotion to training, but with the only difference of you being more humble, then yes, you would be a better martial artist. But as always, training and hard work come first.
    I have never eaten crumpets so I can't tell for sure though.

20. philosoraptor

Sounds like those are more important than the others. Regardless, in a match between a TRUE MARTIAL ARTIST and someone who's just better at fighting, well, I know which position I'd rather be in.