What style is the scorpion kick from?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by adAstra, Aug 3, 2013.

1. adAstra

adAstra New Member

Not that I would be able to do it (although I'll still hope for it!), I was wondering if anyone knows what style MA the scorpion kick is from? I saw a video of Grace Bruce doing it at Britain's Got Talent and the next day it popped up for me again on Bulletproof Monk. And... I'm kind of obsessed with it now, lol. :p

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

no style at all, XMA or (made up) extreme martial arts like music to patterns, twirling weapons like a majorette and other assorted sillyness. i can't see anyone doing it unless they have a pre-teen background in gymnastics or possibly ballet. [its a shame imo because she could have got to a high level in TKD including poss the Olympics]

talking of ballet when Sylvie Guillem started doing developes and arabesques high above 90 degrees a number of purists also said this was not ballet, it broke the classical lines and the relationship of the arms to the raised leg. the level of strength to do it is still impressive but it does spoil some classical repertoire, though a lot more common now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hna-KKju5iI"]Kick Chick Chloe Bruce - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmwnfr2EkpQ"]Sylvie Guillem - Paquita variation LONG LEGS - YouTube[/ame]

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's also utterly useless beyond the "wow" factor.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's a technique so completely nonsensical that no style wants to lay claim to it.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing that someone has invented a new way to kick with the human body. There are plenty of useless martial arts and useless martial arts instructors. XMA might not have any combat applicability, but at least it's creative.

7. holyheadjch

It's not a kick any more than a pike back somersault is a kick.

8. philosoraptor

If she uses it to tap a board with her foot, then technically she has kicked the board. It might be a kick without any combat applicability, but hell, we don't look at a soccer player and say "Yo, you ain't really kicking there, you gotta chamber the leg first and maybe aim at his head or his gribblies."

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

To me, a kick has to have power to really be defined a kick. Tapping something isn't a kick IMO.

Soccer players have power in their kicks. I fail to see how this scorpion kick could have any type of effective power.

Also, effectiveness is a factor to me. Soccer kicks are effective for their goal. Scorpion kicks seem to have no effective goal besides looking cool.

Great flexibility and acrobatics-yes. Effective reasonable real kick-no.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  10. holyheadjch

You could hit a board with a pike back somersault, that doesn't make calling it a kick any less ridiculous.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The correct answer is Shuai Jiao

12. Ben Gash CLF

Just seen the Chloe Bruce one, that's clearly made up.

13. philosoraptor

To holyheadjch and aaradia:

I think we're getting into a semantic argument about what is a kick; to me, anytime you use the foot or shin to strike something, you've kicked it. I'm not really all that attached to the definition. I think that ingenuity in using the human body and athleticism of any kind is a laudable feat. Heh heh. Feet. :]

14. holyheadjch

We have different definitions of the word strike. To me 'strike' implies power and/or the ability to cause damage. The Scorpion kick does not carry any power or the ability to cause damage.

It's semantics, but I think in this case semantics are important. If you are going to say that any motion that results in a foot or shin coming into contact with a second object is a martial arts technique, then you're soon going to find Ashida Kim pointing at you and laughing at the absurdity of it all.

15. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Honestly, after watching some videos, I think using the term "human body" is a bit of a stretch.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Maybe it does? Perhaps the only thing that stops you and I being able to do it with power is our physical limitations. Perhaps Chloe Bruce's mutant physiology means that there's no resistance on her propelling her foot with force through that strange arc. Maybe we're the equivalent of a football player saying "you can't kick at head head with any power and expect to get any force behind it" without ever seeing a taekwondo guy doing it.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Not all kicking is about power and damage dependant on where it's being applied. You can also use kicks for scoring points. Like in light continuous styles for example.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teuWowIvClY"]Scorpion Kick in Pan American Karate Championship Nicaragua 2012[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jipv3_h8Y0E"]Scorpion Kick in WKF Karate Championship Serbia 2010[/ame]

Managed to earn these fellows some points. Not entirely useless.

Oh, and no Scorpion Kick thread would be complete without this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0"]Rene Higuita Scorpion Kick[/ame]

Or this (first one is a pearler)...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvwbFclq7A"]Four best Scorpion Kicks[/ame]

:D

18. Ben Gash CLF

They're doing the TMA scorpion kick with the heel (although I'd argue that they've failed to understand the purpose of the movement - but as you say, in this context it works for them). Your hamstring will give you the necessary power for that. The Chloe Bruce one is with the ball of the foot.

19. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm not sure I would even call Chloe Bruce's variant a Scorpion Kick. It looks like more of an over the top Roundhouse Kick as she actually kicks with the top of her foot in most footage I've watched of her performing it.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That wasn't the same kick as Bruce is doing though. Different mechanic and striking area. Common in yaw yan (Filipino kickboxing). Just shares the same name (for obvious reasons).