What sort of fighter are you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hapuka, Nov 8, 2006.

?

What sort of fighter are you?

1. Attacker

89 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Defender

63 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. A bit of both

176 vote(s)
    50.6%
  4. None, I don't fight at all.

20 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

Personally, i would have to consider myself a defender. i never throw the first punch/kick in the streets and almost never when in the ring. however, once that other person begins to come in i hit and hit hard.

2. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i think people kinda have to be a bit of both to be a good fighter

3. JHughes

JHughes New Member

when defending you've gotta have the speed to be able to counter and i'm not that experianced to be able too counter properly (although i do practise it).
    of cource their are other ways to defend i know that it's just that countering i find it the best way on to defensive fighting.

4. JHughes

JHughes New Member

i have to agree with that, people need to tkae in as much as they can.

5. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

Counter puncher would be the way I'd describe it. In today's litigious society, striking first is a risk I'll always try to avoid. But being struck first isn't any better. :D So, at his first sign of weight shift or other telegraphing signal, I want to be moving to both change my position and beat his attack. Sounds good on paper anyway. ;)

6. MicPowell

MicPowell New Member

What Kind of Fighter

I am a Buddhist and I follow the simple dictum of Hui-neng; Do not seek and do not cling, then you may someday see all the Buddhas! In martical arts that means that attack and defence, yen and yang, hot and cold, are all illusions and constructs. Do not seek or cling to the construct which is merely an expedient way of generalizing but in your own developing wisdom see the inner essence of the matter at hand!

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

What kind of fighter am I?

I bitch slap clowns that don't play right.

8. Doodleflip

Doodleflip New Member

Bit of both, but I prefer attacking. Makes me feel more in control of the situation.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

depends. if i think i can get in first then attacker but probably more of a defender. Less violent techniques in any case

10. Sheep

Sheep Valued Member

I don't fight, so I wouldn't know. I'd probably be a bit of a counter-attacker/feinter.

11. Thelastlaugh

Thelastlaugh New Member

I know how to fight defensively, but I prefer to attack so I can overwhelm an opponent with kicks and punches...:)

12. MuayInsane

MuayInsane Spitting Feathers

Myself with No MA experience till i take up Muay Thai In next week or two.I would say a little of both....but thats only going off from fights i have had be it in the pub,rugby or in the street.Rugby i'm defiantly a attacker mainly because you get them before they get you.In street i would rather not fight.So i would try defuse the situation and walk away first,if all else fail's there is nout wrong with a bit of enforced restraint and same goes in the pub as you find most people who start fighting in street and pub's tend to not be themselves because of the ale.So thats why i would say bit of both.

13. the australian

the australian Banned Banned

I'm a bit of both as I'll defend when the first punch is thrown (striking first can get you into legal strife in today's society) and whenever needed after that, but I'll go on the offensive at the drop of a hat if that's what is needed to win the fight.

14. jfleshner

jfleshner Valued Member

I think you would have to be a bit of both. In order to defend you will have to attack your attacker at some point.

15. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I guess Im an attacker. I certainly find it easier to be on the front foot than the back. Although a lot of the people i spar worry me if i'm not having to defend enough. Means they are planning some horrible counter!

16. KungFuCandie

KungFuCandie Valued Member

Defender all the way.

17. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

In real life, you can't be a Defender or Attacker always. You'll have to learn the enemy's moves wether you'll attack or defend this time.

So I'll vote for a bit of both.

cheers. :)

18. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Definately defense is my first thought at the moment, we'll see how we go as I progress.

19. Zen Warrior

Zen Warrior Red Dragon System

Having short arms I generally use my kicks from outside of range but will try to get inside and fight. It's about finding the opening however.

20. Draven Azropht

Draven Azropht Valued Member

I do whatever I feel I need to when I need to, sometimes I need to go on the attack and other times & need to defend (especially when witnesses are present).