What sort of fighter are you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hapuka, Nov 8, 2006.

?

What sort of fighter are you?

1. Attacker

89 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Defender

63 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. A bit of both

176 vote(s)
    50.6%
  4. None, I don't fight at all.

20 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm a stabbin' hobo. Not a singin' hobo.

2. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

I think of it a lot like gun fighting, the primary way to stop someone shooting at you is to shoot them back, and shooting them more.

3. kevin82abn

kevin82abn New Member

I'd say a good defence is based on a strong offence. The stop hit is a defencive maneuver that takes good timing, but stops an attack in it's tracks. Basically it is a punch or kick timed to coincide with an attackers forward momentum; usually, preceded by a parry. It's the old driving school theory that a vehicle that is hit in a head on collision with another vehicle traveling at the same speed their speeds are additive. In other words two vehicles in a head-on collision traveling at thirty miles an hour is like plowing into a wall at sixty miles per hour.

4. Shae

Shae Valued Member

I'm definately an attacker. I will put my opponent where I need them, then it's dance time. I have only tried it once the other way, that I couldn't set the tempo, and the aggression just totally through me off.

This is not the same as having underbelts attack me, I expect that, that's how they learn. But in my tournament, I attack first. No invitaitions, I', their to take them out.

I have been attacked on the street once, the attacker may mistake of why attacking to turn me around for face to face, I sent him into a wall, and kept his little cheese spreader for my Aunt, nice thing when you can regift.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yeah, im more of a relaxed fighter, I like to take my time. Ive picked up the speed a bit. I love avoiding attacks and coming back with a combo. But now I can't do any fighting because of my sprained foot. :cry: :bang:

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Depends on the opponent. Like an aggressive game but sometimes I try to push it when its not the best course of action.

Have had to learn better defence. Its working out well though, always learning.

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Im a highly aggressvie in fighter. I like to get close.

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

NK - but does it always pay off to be that aggressive? Can you say that it works most of the time for you?

9. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I'm not him but I can gaurantee it has always payed off for me, it has always worked.
    Sure, you may take a little more injury, but you have to take it sometime.

10. NaughtyKnight

Sure it works. Means you need a strong jaw, and to have very powerful hooks and uppercuts, but its alot more fun.

Its very important in shootboxing aswell, since alot of it is wrestling and throwing, aswell as standup fighting.

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I'm confused now. Do you think its style dependent and style influenced then? In terms of 'aggression' and being on the front foot so to speak?

MMA, BJJ, MT, shootboxing, possibly even competitive weapon arts like Kendo - MA's that tend to be 'tested' sound like you'd be better off with an aggressive approach. Maybe I'm wrong?

I don't have a strong jaw!

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Partially style dependant/influenced.

Mainly practitioner though, you need to have that aggressive edge to get in and finish things without fear of taking injury.

Styles can give you the tools to get the job done, what's inside you is the necessary ingredient though.

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Got it, thanks Mei.

14. NaughtyKnight

I learnt to be an infighter from years of boxing. When I took TKD, it was all about range fighting which I hated.

I think style is very dependent on ranges, but not necessarily aggression. Im sure there are some very aggressive TKD fighers out there.

15. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Pretty much a defender. I work for the openings then attack when I can.

16. Epicurus

Epicurus Valued Member

Definitely more of an attacker. My defense is sub-par but my offense is passable so I "defend" myself by trying to control the pace and attacking relentlessly, though of course we are all a bit of both. When grappling I find that whether one ought to attack or defend is dictated largely by what position one is in but I guess I'm a bit more of an attacker even there, for the same reason.

I'd like to focus more on defense but I'm simply not talented in that area.

Also, I smiled at the fourth option. Everyone fights under the right circumstances, let's not be coy.

17. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

I stick to what I call the main rule in my martial art. "We only fight to protect our lives and the lives of others". I'm a Defender.

18. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Trite, but the best defence is a good offence.

19. Vadla

Vadla Valued Member

Counter-Attacker, but i'd consider myself more offensive than defensive...

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Definitely an attacker, especially since I primarily work with weapons. When any hit has a very good chance of taking you out (theoretically, since I'm not a professional duellist), you must endavour to make that first strike to force your opponent to defend. As Hanko Dobringer, a disciple of Johannes Liechtenauer said: "no man can defend without danger". Hit 'em first, hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast. After all, if he's on the defensive, he's going to find it much harder to hit back. If you do it right, he won't get a chance to hit at all. :)

-Mark