What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nachi, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Had an intensive 4 day course on the weekend with Iain Abernethy so now I'm trying to retain being able to do two kata that he has created.
    Tandoku (his solo padwork kata) and Seinipo (a kata he created to summarise some of the methods of Choki Motobu).

aaradia and Mitch like this.
  2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It was quike lonely back then for a CMA guy to compete in Karate tournament because there were no CMA tournament.

Besides myself, there was another CMA guy who also competed in that tournament. I like his form very much.

Both clips were converted from 8mm camera. So the speed is a bit faster.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here is another my student's 2 men form to share in that tournament.

I just can't believe it has been almost 50 years.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I thought they looked fast, thanks for the explanation, and thanks very much for posting, fascinating to watch :)

axelb likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Here's something to consider and it came from a question in yesterday's BKB class.

Would you stop Lenny McLean with a Jeet Tek, or in regard to your question, the groin kick?

You mention in a later post escaping to gain safety and in that regard we do have a groin kick, which for us is a good close range shot. Not an ender necessarily, but a shot to buy a half beat in time certainly.

For those that don't know Lenny, when you create your mental opponent, this is what you are trying to stop.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To guide your opponent's one arm to jam (or tuck under) his own other arm can be a very useful skill. Does anybody train this?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly...I don't think there's a technique, art or style I could learn that would substantially increase my chances physically against the Lenny McLeans of the world.
    In the same way I wouldn't expect to do very well in a fight with a chimp, a bear, Francis Ngannou or Tyson Fury.
    Too aggressive, too strong, too experienced, too explosive, etc etc.
    Which is why the non-physical aspects of self defence are so important.
    Avoiding trouble, avoiding bad places, moving through life peacefully and not annoying people, letting stupid ego battles go, etc.
    I'm very aware that the next person I get into an argument with could be a Lenny McLean or Kenneth Noye so try not to get into arguments.

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Fighting experience against any of those mentioned the odds are against you, but I'm pretty experienced in reading people, I'm sure many others here have had plenty of experience meeting people (initial meeting) from various ranges of background in different scenarios. it's a skill related to observations from cumulation of meeting experiences that help you quickly build a set of expectations.

I've met people like that in my life more times than I would have liked and it helps to build your pyschological fences and over years I think this can help dealing with conflict avoidance/resolution.
    I'm pretty happy that I always got away from those types without a physical conflict.

Something to be said about people who have no second thought about going 100% when you may have other thoughts about de-escalation/fighting within the means that you can legally justify.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think whilst it's ok to ask that question of your training, if you are being serious when you ask it you also have to take it to its logical conclusion.

How do you know what you are training and teaching will stop a gentleman like that, you cant take someone else's word for it, especially someone you don't train with in person physically week in and week out.

if it's a serious question you have to ask then the only answer is you have to test what you teach and learn against people as big, as violent and as aggressive as that.

So test your boxing in the ring against people other than your students, test you grappling likewise in open competition, test your jkd/wing chun, whatever it might be in MMA competitions and truly find out what works and discard what doesn't... don't take someone else's word for it, it that's how seriously you want to take your training.

Otherwise just train for fun and be realistic with yourself why you are training and avoid bad places as much as possible :)

David Harrison likes this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There' some footage of Jon Koppenhaver/Warmachine having a fight with security staff at some sort of bar/club.
    He'd gone to the toilet and when he gets back his friends are fighting the staff he just starts swinging. Think he stops to put his drink down and that's about it.
    No pause, no self doubt, no questions asked, no attempt at breaking it up or finding out what's gone on. He's just goes 100% all in as you said.
    And I looked at that and thought "that's never going to be me".
    I don't have that mentality naturally and I've not had the life or upbringing to instill it in me artifically.
    And I'm happy with that.
    I wouldn't want the life, upbringing or personality that means violence is "close to the surface" or easily accessible.
    That side of me would help if I happened to meet the McLean's or Koppenhavers of the world but not much really. I'd be far more likely to end up in the nick, dead or living a horrible life.
    I'd much rather be a nice pleasant person and know that I'm not some psycho or trained killer ready to throw down at a moments notice.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But humans can consistently kill big game that would rip them to shreds if fought on their own terms.

Know their behaviour and habits so you don't bump into them by accident. If they pose a threat to your community use that knowledge with teamwork, tactics and weapons.

Like you say, to beat someone like that at their own game would take dedicating (or sacrificing, depending on your point of view) your life to become like them. Being a warrior is emotionally, psychologically, and physically damaging. I'd much rather have a happy and full life, be smart enough to avoid stumbling into trouble, and have friends who have my back should trouble come looking for me.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh sure. Gimme a properly zero'd sniper rifle and enough distance and I can beat anyone!

axelb likes this.
  13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice form Nachi
    enjoyed that - would echo Axels comments - the stance really stood out as very good, nice movement flow.

have recently been adding some clips myself onto youtube.
    I did say i was working on shadowboxing/ combinations

this is me doing a mix of shadow/ bag work at home - though i took this same time as the form clip i posted previously, so before I posted on this thread that I was working on that stuff.. seeing this footage prompted the desire to work on these things. We must be our own critics, for sure. There's a few moments there where I lose some balance, miss time/ miss cue my strikes and so on.

feedback welcome

Mitch and axelb like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Currently learning and relearning applications in taijiquan and push hands. Also relearning the jian form, but this time with applications .
    All of this comes from the William CC Chen version of Cheng Manching's taijiquan

axelb, Dylan9d and Grond like this.
  15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have a funny weird thing I am working on. I am learning the Kwan Dao form in CLF that reinacts Historical and mythological figure General Kwan Yu. I love the Kwan Dao AND I am super exicted to be at the level in my school where I learn forms that convey something about Chinese culture and history.

But there is a part (see at :38, :53 & 1:34) where you have to wiggle your eyebrows, vibrate your empty hand and make this deep gutteral growl. This is a lot harder than it looks! Getting my female voice to sound deeper, as close to a 7 ft tall male voice as possible is hard! Also doing all three is sort of like trying to rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time. And you have to keep the Kwan Dao stable and not have it waive at the same time. And I feel self consciouse about practicing it, so I do it when tucked away from others, except for a few closer friends at the school.

Also, the around the neck flowers are pretty hard :)54, 1:047 and other areas later). And the enacting the horse galloping part isn't easy either.

Don't get me wrong! I love this form! I love the challenges! I am having a blast with it! It is fun. :) I chose to learn it first in my new curriculum because I knew it would take a while to get down. I just didn't expcet the eye wiggling, growl part to be so hard! :D

This is Sifu Smith from another location of my school. (yeah, you have to click on it to watch from Youtube. My GM has his site set up like that, sorry. But this is by far the best clip of this form out there.. But I think I am well enough established on MAP for eveyrone to know I am not trying to use MAP to generate traffic for my GM. I just want to show everyone what I mean in this post.)

Grond likes this.
  16. aaradia

I am working on downward flowers for a double cudgel form I am learning. Same technique as this video using butterfly knives. This video is really helping me break it down. Upward double flowers are next.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Learn the 3 basic 3 count patterns (as in sinawali) from FMA and you'll be good to go. Just mentally differentiate whether you're practicing for a blunt weapon application or for an edged weapon.

aaradia likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah videos on "heaven 6" and "earth 6" might help as that's what I learnt that as. Although I do like the phrase downward flowers too. :)

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Teaching myself ballet. I was watching Dirty Dancing earlier this week, and Ghost last night when I realized once again why Patrick Swayze was the man. The moves on that guy. Taken too young. Was still perfecting his Tai Chi right to the end.

Just keep moving, right?

How's this video for some inspiration? I can relate to how this video makes other people feel in general, but in time, I'll move like this. I give myself 3 months.

20. aaradia

Thanks for the tip. :)

I am learning this for a double cudgel form. But I am sometimes practicing it with Butterfly knives. I actually found that it was easier to define proper hand position when focusing on keeping a blade at the right angle. It was easy to get sloppy with proper hand position with the cudgels. I am pretty sure I was turning my wrists at the wrong times when I started. And I will need to be able to do it with various blades in the future, so developing it with both sharp and blunt weapons seems like a good idea.

It's coming along and faster than I thought it would. Has a long way to go before looking decent when tightening it up though. And I am having to practice not just doing it stationary, but with footwork. You can see what I am learning in this clip. at 34 or so seconds in.

I am trying to learn a one minute version as quickly as possible. Because I want to do it for a tournament in May. It will be the first school tournament since the pandemic. This is a good tournament form. Also, I just really love cudgels as a weapon. Fun, flashy forms. Yet a stick like weapon is the most likely one to be used in our modern society for self defense. Also, one of the few weapons where we actually have combatives class to practice with. (We have stick fighting, but not Kwan Dao fighting classes- go figure!;))