What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nachi, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Punch Boxing

Punch Boxing New Member

As I am into Boxing, much interested to create discipline and agility during my workout sessions. Shadowboxing with (brand name deleted) Combat gear to obtain more of my efforts.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Surprisingly, still working on walking right.... this whole knee replacement thing is not going as advertised

axelb and Nachi like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Dang, I am really sorry to hear that. :( Hope it turns around in the right direction soon.

Xue Sheng and Nachi like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not doing much martial arts at the moment as right arm has a bad case of tennis elbow that is not calming down. Adversely effecting everything I do at the minute. :(
    I am however concentrating on my cardio and trying to be really consistent with my 5k runs. Really enjoying a Parkrun on a Saturday morning.
    It's a great start to the weekend, friendly atmosphere and some first class runners to serve as inspiration.
    I'm not much of a runner but have resolved to do at least 25 Parkruns this year (and hopefully more), and get a 25 t-shirt, and get my time under 30 minutes.
    As it turns out I hit under 30 mins on my last run so need another milestone I think. Maybe try to get under 27mins? Not sure what my true capacity for running is tbh. Apparently 25:36 is an intermediate time for my age but can't see myself ever getting there.

axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried using KT tape? It helps my golfer's elbow a lot when working out. That and/ or a compression sleeve.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not tried KT tape but have tried rest (did nothing "active" over xmas), ice, massage gun and a compression sleeve (wear one when I run).
    It is getting better but VERY slowly. At its worse I could barely pick up a coffee let alone lift, punch, pull, etc.

7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I've no experience with a tennis elbow, but it is a rather long-lasting condition, correct? How long have you had trouble with it?

Good luck with the runs! No idea what the average times are, but as someone who probably couldn't even finish that distance, 30 mins sound like a pretty good time to me! :)

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Out of context that sounds so much worse!

10. Nachi

What, does it? :D

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yep - "the runs" is another term for diarrhea.

Nachi likes this.
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Still work on the most basic "groin kick, face punch" combo.

[​IMG]

hewho likes this.
  13. Nachi

Oh :D:oops:

I'm adding that to my vacabulary now :D

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Tennis elbow can be a long term thing iirc. I pretty much know exactly what caused mine.
    Took the kids to badminton a few times and forgot I hadn't played it in decades. That started it then got back into lifting again and using a new grip on rows (using a hex bar) was a step too far. That was a few weeks before christmas last year. :(

In terms of 5k times 30 minutes is not that good. For my age it's a beginner time really. Although obviously faster than the people still in bed on a Saturday morning are doing it!
    My local Parkrun is round a decent cycle track so generates some fast times for the better runners. Around 17/18 minutes is what the best runners are doing I think.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    axelb and Nachi like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

30 mins 5k is a good time, keep it consistent and don't push it too much. The first part of getting into regular run that time will drop and slowly curve off you'll be under 27min in no time. Weight makes a huge difference, Which comes off quicker when you run more often.
    Sub 20mins is advanced to elite. I never managed to break that barrier, that takes a lot of dedication and time. I'm always amazed how easy they make it look

Park run is a great organisation, it's wonderful to see so many people participating, and even some kids (sometimes faster than me!)