What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nachi, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Punch Boxing

Punch Boxing New Member

As I am into Boxing, much interested to create discipline and agility during my workout sessions. Shadowboxing with (brand name deleted) Combat gear to obtain more of my efforts.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Surprisingly, still working on walking right.... this whole knee replacement thing is not going as advertised

axelb and Nachi like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Dang, I am really sorry to hear that. :( Hope it turns around in the right direction soon.

Xue Sheng and Nachi like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not doing much martial arts at the moment as right arm has a bad case of tennis elbow that is not calming down. Adversely effecting everything I do at the minute. :(
    I am however concentrating on my cardio and trying to be really consistent with my 5k runs. Really enjoying a Parkrun on a Saturday morning.
    It's a great start to the weekend, friendly atmosphere and some first class runners to serve as inspiration.
    I'm not much of a runner but have resolved to do at least 25 Parkruns this year (and hopefully more), and get a 25 t-shirt, and get my time under 30 minutes.
    As it turns out I hit under 30 mins on my last run so need another milestone I think. Maybe try to get under 27mins? Not sure what my true capacity for running is tbh. Apparently 25:36 is an intermediate time for my age but can't see myself ever getting there.

axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried using KT tape? It helps my golfer's elbow a lot when working out. That and/ or a compression sleeve.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not tried KT tape but have tried rest (did nothing "active" over xmas), ice, massage gun and a compression sleeve (wear one when I run).
    It is getting better but VERY slowly. At its worse I could barely pick up a coffee let alone lift, punch, pull, etc.

7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I've no experience with a tennis elbow, but it is a rather long-lasting condition, correct? How long have you had trouble with it?

Good luck with the runs! No idea what the average times are, but as someone who probably couldn't even finish that distance, 30 mins sound like a pretty good time to me! :)

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Out of context that sounds so much worse!

10. Nachi

What, does it? :D

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yep - "the runs" is another term for diarrhea.

Nachi likes this.
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Still work on the most basic "groin kick, face punch" combo.

[​IMG]

hewho likes this.
  13. Nachi

Oh :D:oops:

I'm adding that to my vacabulary now :D

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Tennis elbow can be a long term thing iirc. I pretty much know exactly what caused mine.
    Took the kids to badminton a few times and forgot I hadn't played it in decades. That started it then got back into lifting again and using a new grip on rows (using a hex bar) was a step too far. That was a few weeks before christmas last year. :(

In terms of 5k times 30 minutes is not that good. For my age it's a beginner time really. Although obviously faster than the people still in bed on a Saturday morning are doing it!
    My local Parkrun is round a decent cycle track so generates some fast times for the better runners. Around 17/18 minutes is what the best runners are doing I think.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    axelb and Nachi like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

30 mins 5k is a good time, keep it consistent and don't push it too much. The first part of getting into regular run that time will drop and slowly curve off you'll be under 27min in no time. Weight makes a huge difference, Which comes off quicker when you run more often.
    Sub 20mins is advanced to elite. I never managed to break that barrier, that takes a lot of dedication and time. I'm always amazed how easy they make it look

Park run is a great organisation, it's wonderful to see so many people participating, and even some kids (sometimes faster than me!)

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Nachi

Half a year has passed so fast! A little update is in order.

In June this year I passed my 2nd dan grading in Karate! The grading was at one of the first international in-person seminars since covid and we were graded by sensei Laubscher (9th dan), sensei Nakamura (8th dan, world chief instructor) and sensei Vogel (7th dan).
    (Yaaay, no grading for 3 years at the very least now! :) )
    Since then I've started focusing more on the next kata - Sepai - and learned its bunkai (applications). Well, tried them all, but very very briefly, so I don't really remember, but I should be learning those now. This kata is very nice. I've also learned the next one - Kururunfa. But not to great detail, yet, only the skeleton of it.

As for my second art, Taiji, I started learning sword form in January. We're adding a move each week, being at about 22 out of 50. Then I attended a week-long seminar in July and the teacher gave me a speedy course and taught me the rest of the form, so that I can start learning the Cannon Fist form when he starts a course in September (he wanted me to learn only one thing at a time). I really really enjoy the sword form and practice daily now to memorize it well and also as a part of a challenge I have with a friend. It is so pretty! And I am also looking forward to the Cannon Fist form very much, I like the explosive techniques there.

What has everyone been up to? Learned anything new? Improved something old? :)

axelb and Flying Crane like this.
  17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the promotion!
    When my son was born almost 9 years ago, it was very disruptive to my training and I had a period of about 2-3 years where I trained very little. I forgot some of my forms during that time. For the past 3-5 years I have been working hard to regain that lost ground. I have been making periodic trips back to San Francisco to train with my Sifu and regain what I had forgotten. I recently relearned the sword, and am now working on the butterfly knives. I needed some reminders on a couple empty-hand forms and spear and dao as well, but I got those done just before Covid. I now live about two hours drive from him, so I need to plan my trips, especially with the spike in gas prices. But I am happy to be regaining this material.

Nachi likes this.
  18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Great thread to come back to and congratulations on the promotion @Nachi

Looking back on this, I moved on recently as I didn't want to neglect other areas. I found that I was able to setup and execute omoplata sweep consistently, sometimes to submission, but more consistently to knee on shoulder positions and a lot of other sub options from there.
    I was also working on knee cut pass, have a lot of improvement, side control escape is better.

Next focus is open guard (seated/butterfly), x pass and transitions to back control.

Dead_pool and Nachi like this.
  19. Nachi

Thank you :)

It's good to hear you are able to visit your sifu and re-learn. Even if he's so far away. Is there any school near you that you go to? Or do you practice just by yourself with occasional trips to your sifu?

20. Nachi

Thank you! And yeah, I want to try and keep it alive ^^

I don't know much about BJJ to understand what the mentioned techniques look like, but it sounds to me like drilling strategies, which is interesting. Anyway it sound like sound like you enjoy the art, and it's good to hear you're getting better at it ^^
    How long have you been learning BJJ now?

axelb likes this.