What size needle/syringe should I use to drain ear?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

They used to get compression on a cauliflower ear by sewing two buttons on it one on each side of the injury site. :cry:

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I read recently you can get the same effect by using two strong magnets i.e. sandwich the ear between the two magnets and they will keep the compression through magnetic force... though I suppose if they are too strong you may end up looking like dumbo.

3. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Laminaria Digitata me! Even with a local...that would hurt. Sounds like something Army Medics would try.

Sounds novel, though not sure it would be much less painful than the above or as efficacious as a dressing. I was mucking around after a Physics A-Level class once trying to create the strongest possible bar-magnets I could, until two joined with my middle-finger nestled between them. In fact, they were that strong, they fracture it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  4. adouglasmhor

James Herriot writes about doing it to an injured labourer who insisted on treatment and refused to accept that James Herriot was a Vet not a Doctor.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Donny Oddlegs, profanity (masked or otherwise) is against the ToS of Map. Please don't use them and please don't re-edit a post after a mod has already done so. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. adouglasmhor

Oarweed? of all things Frodo Oarweed.

7. Frodocious

:D

Next time I'll use Herpes simplex if that would be better...

:D

8. adouglasmhor

No thanks we can make dashi soup with the oarweed, you can keep your herpes.

9. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

My Cauli was the result of heavy training for my first No Gi comp. I was rolling intensly 6 days a week. I rarely train with that intensity and when I do I tend to train smarter and roll smarter.

So I wouldn't say they are under the same strain, because that experience prompted me to be more technical in the way I approach training/sparring/rolling currently. I think a lot of contact sportsmen have these injuries as a result of a lifestyle that doesn't allow them to take a week of for things like Haematoma's or at least as a result of a culture that see's cauli as a natural part of training, rather than something that could be treated with medical help or even prevented.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  10. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Apologies. No excuses (well okay then: insert highly amusing excuse).

Was Oarweed chosen for its use in Toothpaste, Iodine (given their cleaning properties) or fertiliser? Could I be wrong and it was simply arbitrary?

11. Frodocious

It was chosen because I did my undergrad degree in marine biology and so have an unhealthy attachment to algae... :)

12. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

I'm quite partial to cyanobacteria. Of course, any sort of attachment to it is particularly unhealthy.

13. Frodocious

I shall remember that in case I need to edit anymore of you're posts (or any posts in threads you're playing in)! ;) :D

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This big. I used to be an earologist, so trust me, I know what I am talking about. :)

colossalsyringe.jpg

15. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

I don't mind being beaten up by a woman so much (some chaps even enjoy it); but I draw the line at being 'poisoned'.

Once again: apologies. It was a slip of the finger and my dog ate the ToS...imagine buttons being sutured to either side of your ear though. Don't know about you, but my ears like my testicles, are very precious to me.

PS I really did read the ToS, honest Gov.! And I don't have a dog.

16. Frodocious

I can't comment on the testicles issue but I am quite attached to my ears! :)

And all the rest is forgiven! :)

17. adouglasmhor

You didn't ever visit the Marine Biological station on Great Cumbrae just outside Millport did you?
    I love the Victorian Fish tanks in the public bit there.

18. Frodocious

No, I've never had the chance to go to the station at Millport. I'd love to pay it a visit if the opportunity arose.

19. adouglasmhor

I spent every summer on the island when I was little.

20. Frodocious

Wow, I bet that was great! :)