What size gloves to get

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by karhn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. karhn

karhn New Member

Hi i am ordering some gloves http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product_detail.php?Product_ID=TWN-G030
    but i dont know wot size to get i am currantly in a kickboxing class the only one in my area and not even in a gym :( but the instructor is good and he has a mean kick even with focus pads on :) any way i am about 5'7 medium build i have a very good punch even tho i say so my self so i was thinking of getting a 12oz gloves i havent brought any gloves before so i have no idea on wot size to get so any pointers would be ideal

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

what are they for? if you can afford to its worth getting seperate gloves for bag and padwork. for padwork, it depends on your size, but about 10-12oz sounds right. for sparring, depends on what your coach says. for us we use 16oz sparring gloves, although a lot of gyms use smaller ones (think Ray Sefo and you get an idea why we use big gloves over here :D)

3. Another point is what kind of kickboxing do you do?

Generally gloves are 10oz for fighting (12oz for heavier weights) and like ikken said, 16oz for sparring.

On a sidenote, the gloves do look nice :p

4. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Twins gloves are very nice.
    I use 14 oz for most of my training(ESP sparring)
    and i fight in 10OZ (occasionally)

5. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

6. God - everyone has TWINS gloves except me :woo:

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

dont get the reyes. these gloves have about the least padding you can imagine. i fought in a pair and most of the padding was in the wrist, you could almost feel the knuckles.

if you are just training these will not make you very popular with the other people in the gym.

8. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

This will be my first pair of Twins. I like to get different brands to see what company has a better quality gloves. So far I'm leaning towards Fairtex. Kinda spendy, but so far the best quality gloves I own. I have about 6 pairs of different brands so far.

TNT Tommy :cool:

9. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Why don't you just ask your coach?

10. karhn

karhn New Member

i would do but the offer ends tommorow, i think i am gonna get 10oz gloves for matchs and my coach is getting me a headguard and feetguards and some sparring gloves so i will have the same as the other guys :) .......so they wont hate me ;) well thats if they dont get cocky if they do then the 10oz will be on lol
    cheers for your help guys