What size bjj Gi would I wear?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by MowJ, Jan 1, 2016.

1. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

Say in a Fuji for example..I'm 6'8" 275 lbs. in karate I wore size 8 top and 6 pants. A6 or A5 maybe?

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Depends on the manufacturer to be honest. Keiko Raca have a good rep for tall people though.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the make, some a4 are surprisingly large. Since BJJ often gives larger people quitedramatic weight loss, you might be better off with Judo gi to begin with, their larger cut, and cheaper.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

+1 for the Judo gi, it's better than my original suggestion. It's very easy to become a bjj gi fetishest, spend hundreds on gi's within the first 6 months only to stop training and have severe buyers regret.

With judo, you can find nice cheap yet functional gi's.

5. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. The school I am going to attend has several big guys and the owner, who I've only text messaged told me he has a wholesale account with Fuji.

6. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

Since one of the reasons I am starting bjj is to get back in shape (42...t2 diabetes, aches and pains, stiff as a board with no flexibility) ..your comment about weight loss intrigued me. I've never heard that before, is that a common thing? I already spoke with the school owner online and he told me he and his instructors definitely take out of shape into consideration.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes, it definitely can be, adding 2-4 hours of exercise a week added onto of the healthy eating which you'll want to do can do wonders,

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

For sure bjj can help you lose weight, especially at the start. It can compel you to eat better too, because if you eat healthy you will notice a massive difference when you are rolling and having pressure on your core vs going to training the day after a takeaway.