What should I do?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by G50, Feb 21, 2006.

1. G50

G50 Night Owl

I'm trying to decide whether to be a participant or be a volunteer at my next tournament. (April 2)

If I go as a participant I'd be going for my 1st gold medal or first 1st place trophy.

If I go as a volunteer, the next tournament I can be a referee/judge, after that the next tournament I can be a chief referee/judge and then I can qualify to be a National TKD Referee/Judge (which is what I've always wanted to be).

What do you think I should do?

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Sounds like the "volunteer" route has the better long term "payoff" (as in satisfaction and opportunities). I am sure there will be other tournaments to compete in but the chances of advancing as a ref seems pretty good here!

Have fun whatever you do!

3. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

It seems like you've wanted to do this referee thing for a long time. It also seems to be a really worthwhile thing to do. It sort a classic situation where just as you approach your long term goal you get tempted by something else. I don''t want to tell you what to do but it seem to me that the volunteer work is the better option. But hey, im not you so just do what you want and enjoy it :D .

4. Just out of curiosity, and it's not a criticism. How come throughout your entire TKD career you've never entered a tournament?

5. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Go for the volunteer, sounds like if you don't you'll regret it; 1st place or not!!

6. Carly_TKD

Carly_TKD New Member

If you want to do the referee course, then go as a volunteer. How many competititons have you been in before? I think that the best way to become a good referee is to have plenty of competition experience.

7. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

i see it says you live in palatine, which tkd place do you go to? i actually live near that area

8. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

We can only tell you what we would do if we were you.

You make your own path. Choose wisely youngling :D

Seriously, you should chose which will make you happiest.

9. G50

G50 Night Owl

Ragnarok2005 - Throughout my entire TKD career I've been through at least 15 different tournaments I have just never won a gold medal or a 1st place trophy or even the 6 foot grand championship trophy, that's what I wa trying to say.

Marc936 - I go to TMA Martial Arts in Schaumburg, because there is no TMA in palatine, I go to the one in Schaumburg

Thanks everyone :)

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Your 19 so you have all the time in the world to be a ref so enjoy the competitions while your young.

11. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

oh ok, i thoguht u were in the tkd place right accross from my kickboxing school near nw highway and quentin