what shall i do

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by musclemania, Jan 7, 2004.

1. musclemania

musclemania New Member

hi guys. i used to do kickboxing with Andy Morgan but i quit due to my problems which you may have read about. i really want to start back but i dont know whether training with Andy Morgan is a good idea. when i attended his classes before i didnt find that he teaches you anything. all he does is make you do streches and a few kicks. he does not teach you stants, bouncing, defence or any of that stuff. but there aint anywhere else to go where i live? what do you advice? thanks for your help.

2. Yan

Yan New Member

Join up with any class, learn the basics then train repeatedly on your own - I learned a bit of Shaolin Kung Fu this way.

It won't get you far though, it's only temporary. Do this while you're looking for a better, permenant class, even if it means you have to travel.

But you're right to avoid a teacher who doesn't train you in stances or technique, although the stance in kickboxing is very basic

Alternitavly, find someone who does kickboxing at a higher level than you and train with them.

Or take up another art that is similar to kickboxing that you can go to, or if not, unsimilar. There must be at least a decent Tae Kwon Do or Aikido class near you, whether you live in the UK or bloody Alaska, there's always one somewhere.

Hope this helps

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

4. marais

marais New Member

5. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Most martial arts you can train in will give you a good foundation for kickboxing. Kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, and others are all excellent for developing stances, techniques, and skills useful in kickboxing. Kickboxing is much different from these arts, of course, but the basics still apply. Many good kickboxers have a foundation in some other martial art(s).

Of course, there's no substitute for a really good trainer. In the meantime, however, keep working on the basics. Shadow boxing, bag work, and sparring are all important parts of kickboxing training. Exercises and drilling are equally important.

Good luck!

6. redbull

redbull New Member

you say that were you train your instructor does not teach alot well do you at least do alot of sparring? if so you can get most of the basics from videos and book and just go there to practice on your sparring

7. totality

totality New Member

NO!!!!

unless you have a video or book that magically corrects your technique as well.