What Really Causes Heart Disease

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Oct 2, 2014.

1. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

2. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

3. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Watch the film called Forks Over Knives. Your answer is revealed.

Here's a direct link to their website. Oh, and the Dr. clearly knows very little because the two doctors in Forks Over Knives have a combined experience of over 60 years.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks for doing your due diligence and presenting this important addendum.

The sad thing here is I happen to believe that inflammation ( particularly caused by the bacteria found in tooth/gum disease ) does play a very significant role in heart disease.

Unfortunately, this quack, this blight on the medical community has probably ruined for many years, any chance of bringing the role of bacterial inflammatory heart disease to light.

6. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

belltoller, i will agree with you that sometime tooth bacteria can contribute. I remember a young actor who played the role of Lorne on the tv series: Angel. He had an early death as a result of tooth infection. It was very sad as he was only in his 30's when he died and he had happened on to the role of Lorne by accident when Joss Whedon's wife heard him singing at a nightclub while out with friends.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Belltoller - I haven't heard of the bacterial inflammation thing before - could you shed some light for me buddy?

Unless the guy in the "article" is taking about auto-immune inflammation in arthrosclerosis?
    That's been quite well studied.

Although heart disease is a rather broad term

8. belltoller

Which undoubtedly means I've my terminology mixed up somewhere. Could I be speaking of the auto-immune arteriosclerosis then?

I'd feel a bit safer if it were you holding the torch instead of me. My medical speciality is ... dodgy at best. ;)

I"d some tooth/gum troubles for a long while and procrastinated...the dental surgeons I spoke with and went under the knife with went at some lengths as to the possible effects if the bacteria were able to travel the right route and reach the heart - I think it endocarditis?

Which I realise is an infection and probably not related to coronary artery disease and the like...

A few rumours from the weB - which proves absolutely nothin, 'xcept that there is talk and presumably some sort of reliable studies going on somewhere.

9. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Hooray, a topic I know a bit about! :D Your dental surgeon sounds like a right scaremonger!

Endocarditis is an infection of the heart valve and almost always occurs in people who have a prosthetic valve, other valve problem or abuse IV drugs. Bacteria can often enter the bloodstream when you clean your teeth or even chew a toffee but the immune system is very good at getting rid of it.

Endocarditis is a pretty rare condition - we hardly ever see it in our Microbiology lab and we serve a big UK city.

10. belltoller

Good to hear from the trenches. Ja, I was putting off the surgery, not showing up for pre-op...I suppose it a measure of desperation on their part; anything to get me on the table.

So you don't think there's really anything to it, then?

I suppose if it were true - I'd be dead long before now having lived with residual infections in my head/ear for so long.

11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Watched that movie and then started following DR Joel Fuhrman's books and t drop my Cholesterol levels considerably. Enough for my cardiologist to tell me to get out of his office and don't come back unless I need him because I was too healthy to be there

12. Mangosteen

I work looking at this neat book called " International Classification of Diseases (ICD)" by the world health organisation and has every diagnosis known to man.

and the heart disease section has 100s of entries but i can only recall (maybe wrong) that rheumatic fever is resultant of strep infections

13. Mangosteen

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Dietary studies in people are notoriously poorly done. Bad controls, correlation based, wrong model organisms, bad assumptions, etc., etc. It's enough to make you weep.

15. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Well, in theory, any organism circulating in the bloodstream could potentially cause endocarditis or any kind of sepsis. Certainly for healthy adults with no other risk factors, the potential is tiny.

Zaad - you're right, rheumatic fever is a complication of an infection caused by group A Streptococci (bascially the immune response causes the body to attack its own tissues) and can cause heart disease.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

There's a lot of very interesting Ino on using coq10 when it comes to heart issues.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

"Heart failure If you have heart failure, talk to your doctor before you take any supplement. There's no strong evidence that vitamins or other supplements can help treat heart failure. They are used along with medical*heart failure treatments, not instead of treatment.But you may still hear about CoQ10 supplements and heart failure. CoQ10 has not been shown definitely to relieve heart failure symptoms. Only some of the studies of coenzyme Q10 showed that it helps heart failure symptoms."

http://www.m.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/coenzyme-q10-topic-overview

18. Saved_in_Blood

Yep, and then there are other sites that state that it helps a great deal. I never said run out and take it either did I? I don't recall if so.

19. Saved_in_Blood

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

This is just a knee-jerk reaction, but anytime I see 'science' websites that include a products page, I start getting hella suspicious.