What new art to do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Oldmike, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

I've been doing martial arts since 1959 when I was 8 years old. TKD for the last 20 plus years interspersed with some judo and Arnis. I feel it's time for a change.

There are a couple of MMA school nearby. One is junk with obvious rank amatuers puffing out there pigeon chests. This one seems ok. I've checked it out and I like the head instructor (no chest puffery) plus his nose had obvoiusly been busted :)

http://mambamma.com/

I'd appreciate it if one of you could check it out. Tuitioin is $125 per month.

The othe issue is age. I'm 60 years old so I was thinking about Akido but the local guy is way too formal for my taste. I'm 180 and 6 foot one running about 14% body fat so age has not yet withered me:) Now your advice might b to take the classes but don't spar but Inow myself. I won't be able to resist.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i've done both aikido and bjj. is there a strictly bjj place near you? i'm 40, considerably younger than you. but so far in bjj (5 months in), it's been pretty pleasant. it's tough yes, but not rough.

i found a bjj place in abbotsford. is this near you?

http://www.jiujitsulife.com/

aikido has some formalities, but it's pretty fun.

3. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

Age is just a number. My dad is 60 years old, and he has a 6 year old boy and a 6 month old girl, my brother and sister. Go for it, if that is what you want. :lifting: I also agree with Giovanni, bjj is awesome!

4. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Thanks but I've had a life time of formality!

What I'm mostly interested in is the boxing, kick boxing and maui tai (sp?) preferably not at a chain school.

5. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Yeah, right 60 is the new 59 :)

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

well, one thing i like about jj is the no formalities. at least where i go, which even does no-gi bjj, which even dispenses with the formality of belts and ranks. <awesome!!!>

7. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Sounds like you have some good choices around you. Give them all a try like you're saying, I'm sure you'll find one that stands out.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

OldMike, I'm 57 and have been training BJJ off and on for 4 years. Its great but there is definite wear and tear on us old folk.

BJJ is very informal. We line up, in no particular order and bow in with the instructor. At the end of class we line up again and bow out. That's it for the formalities I've seen at 3 different schools.

So give it a shot.

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I think the tuition you mentioned is to expensive.

10. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

if it where me Old mike id be looking at the womens thursdays 6 till 7 I dont mind wearing pink gloves:D.....But as its you with those credentials and the will, go for it!.......looks a smart set up, id get a lot more feedback before commiting maybe get head to head with the guy and ask for a bit of a try before you buy option......if the 125$ gives you free range id think thats pretty comparable to uk prices.....spice is the variety of life as they say!

best of luck.............kamau

11. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Thanks for your input everyone.

12. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

The classes I've seen are very informal. Nothing at the beginning and at the end everyone goes through a line shaking everyone elses hand sort of like after a kids' baseball game

13. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

I like the head instructor. A lot of talent but not a big ego. And the $125 gives you full range. you pay by the month and no contracts. You can tell a lot about the school by its students. They all seemed focused.

the instructors mission is to make MMA respectable.

I don't know how it's viewed where you are but here in Canada it's associated with the gangsta lifestyle. If you're not used to that sort of thing it would be a bit intimidating what with all the tatoos so I can't envision a soccer mom dropping little Suzy off.

My major problem might be trying not to Kiah all the time :0

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

We do that too right after the bow out.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

is it MMA or striking you are interested in? any decent MMA school will spend a lot of time on grappling and ground work, if you are more interested in thai and boxing them maybe look specifically at those clubs? I know the MMA school you are looking at teaches thai and kick boxing but they run more grappling and wrestling classes and if you pay monthly that might be dead money to you, a specific striking club might be better

16. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Thanks for your comments Icefield.

Looking at the schedule they have 5 classes a week that I'm interested in. Three thai and 2 boxing so that is enough for me. Once upon a time I could do 3 classes a day 6 days a week but that was when I was a young lad of 40 At this point in my life I'm doing well to get through 3 classes a week plus keeping up my TKD.

Who knows I may take up bjj. I'll have a good look at if for no other purpose than to tell my TKD students what they may be facing if they end up on the ground:)