What makes a good karateka?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Freeflow, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Relosa

Relosa New Member

Code of Master Hohan Soken
    1. Always act in a courteous manner.
    2. During training, contentrate to the limit of your mental endurance. Give your all mentally and physically as training without concentration prevents advancement.
    3. The Physical and mental training of Karate should be combined as one. The hear, mind and body should be in unison at all times.
    4. Heed the advice of your teacher and more advanced students of other schools, listen to and never forget their advice.
    5. Listening and watching are key points to advancement.
    6. In order to advance, one must strive to obtain the true spirit of Karate.
    7. Training is on a continuous basis, and one learns a little at a time. Do not take breaks in training as it will result in a step backward.
    8. Always strive for advancement and when advanced, one must not brag or boast.
    9. Self-Praise and over-confidence is a sickness that corrupts training.
    10. Refrain from over-eating, drinking and smoking, for these bad habits hinder the effectivness of your training.
    11. Karate training has no limits. Step by step, study by study, day by day and in the future you will undoubtedly enter the temple of the Shaolin.

Hohan Soken, Hanshi
    1889-1982

Then theres the Okinawan golden rules
    1. Never become obsessed with one thing, it'll blur your judgement.(I think thats it.
    2. Never combine anger with violence, you'll regret the consequences.

So yeah, just thought I should add those to the post. :)

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

A good person with good skills. But being a good person does not mean that the "goodness" came from practicing karate (or any MA), does it?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  3. Mig

Mig New Member

We have a Dojo kun in our school and I can draw from this to answer the question in so far as I know. Manners: I will be respectful and courteous to all.
    Drive: I will pactice with all the drive I have and strive to achieve more than I think I have.
    Self discipline: I will develop self-discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.
    Don't bad mouth others or take the mick, don't get complacent, keep paying attention and, just as important, keep turning up for training.
    That's about it.
    Oh yeah, keep turning up for training, very important that.

4. NIKS

NIKS Baby banana killer :D

I think discipline is a very important key in this. And you have to want it bad enough. You've got to be loyal. I think you've got to have a very good basic.
    I also want to be a good karateka. That's why I excersise 4 till 5 hours a day.
    That also because I do a lot of competitions, in kata.