What makes a good karateka?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Freeflow, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Freeflow

Freeflow New Member

What qualities, enables a person to become a good karateka?

2. Adam

Adam New Member

In my opinion: superior toughness, no-nonsense attitude towards hard training, unfaltering dedication, humility, respect, self-control, having a white gi, in no particular order.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

What quality? You have to want to be a good karateka and train sincerely. There are a lot of catch phrases and fads in training out there but I believe to be good karateka, MMA'ist, aikidoist - whatever it is that you study,your sincere intent to actually be a student and learn what is there to be taught. I don't think it is about natural attributes but mental commitment and intention. You can be the meanest SOB on earth with incredible physical gifts but be a lousy karatekaif you don't bring yourself open to the learning.

4. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

(1) The most hypocritical goal I have ever heard.
    (2) Vague.
    (4) Good reason. If you can't your money where your mouth is, you mightopen them later and see teeth mising.
    (5) You're already half-won when the other guy is afraid of you.
    (5) Isn't this what aikido is all about?
    (5) Hmmm...

Hey ranger, can't you count? Where's your "3"! :D

5. Cain

Cain New Member

aml01_ph where's the 6 and 7? :p

|Cain|

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

That's right! Must be getting forgetful in my age :eek:

Hey ranger! Cain asks where 6 and 7 are! :D

7. ranger

ranger New Member

i can count.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  8. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Some aspects of traditional Budo ideals are very hard to understand when using common western thinking. Why do you attack a person with that kind of ideals. It's not like he's attacking you. If I would be a christian I would say that the people like you comdemned the Christ. :D

A good Karateka needs to be a gentleman with noble ideals, but that is not all. He also needs to understand anatomy and the way human body functions. He needs to be in perfect condition and if possible not to drink alcohol, use drugs or smoke tobacco. Why is it so clear that I have a long way to go. :(

9. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Why a good Karateka could not train wearing sweat pants, a black or red gi, or just wearing his underpants? Is Karate about wearing right clothing or speaking Japanise? No it isn't. One could wear traditional Zulu clothing and use Arabic terms to techniques and it would not make any difference if the mentality would be right.

10. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Attitude. The most important thing is attitude.

Approach training with an open mind and remember that we are always learning and sometimes can be wrong.

11. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Gi vs no Gi

I'm not taking sides but The Gi Issue is partly respect. If you train Arabic mushu wushu smushu style wear the traditional wear for that style. Be it a robe, white Gi, pants or G-string wear it. Don't wear jeans Karate Gi or Stars and Stripes Gi

Respect the people your are training with in all matter. Have clean feets and hand, don't stink of sweat smell and such things..

Regards Kerling
    ps. The Gi can help you with sound effects.

12. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Yesterday there was a pretty girl that smelled like glamorous parfyms at my Dojo. I'm happy I didn't have to train with her, becouse that could have been a little uncomfortable for both of us. Like me being in the seventh heaven while throwing her to the ground. :D

13. Freeflow

Freeflow New Member

There are various qualities that make a good karateka or a good martial artist: dedication, humility, respect etc. Each individual has his or her own ideas as to what makes a good martial artist, for myself it is the goal of self-improvement, not just in my abilities as a karateka but in the greater scheme of things i.e to stop smoking, to become more in control of your emotions( anger and flying into a rage), to develop along with other people and to remember that as martial artist we have a responsibility to utilize our skills and training in a postive way to encourage the best out of people.

14. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I am Filipino and I am not using western thinking on this one. You're holding onto the naive notion that those who practice Budo uphold noble ideals in general. They don't.

What was your reason for taking up martial arts? It may be because you find it cool. Maybe you are a victim of violence. But whatever he reason, deep down, the reason is power over others. The knowledge to dominate others, whether in the ring or outside, gives you the feeling of being in some elite group.

Us martial artists should not delude ourselves that we pursue the art for the sake of being better people (if this is true why are so many black belts out there aren't). I myself do not like to fight, especially in self-defence situations. I pursue my MA because if it ever comes to that, I must win. There's my desire for victory!

And please do not make any cracks on religion. I am Catholic and the smilie you put in does not take the sting out of your remark nor does it make it read like you are joking. Even if you are Jewish or Moslem, I would not make such a remark.

15. ranger

ranger New Member

i too am a filipino but something has gone wrong with you.

mister you, whats your story? you a victim ba? deep down you are lashing at something... by the looks lng...

i have yet to see you mention your art.

oh c'mon... we should pursue martial/military arts with the thinking that we should have discipline and self control. if thats not becoming better people i don't know what is. training in the martial arts must have training the mind also. don't you do that? if not i doubt if you would be stable under pressure. by your tone i think you would crack the very instant pressure is applied to you.

victory over what?whom? in situations wherein we have, not just potential but real enemies, yes we must win.

is the MAP the only place where mag siga-sigaan (being brave) ka?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  16. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I stumbled upon martial arts by accident and fell in love with the way of life. My martial arts training has given me balance, empathy skills and it has been of great help while dealing with a difficult things in life.

I will always make jokes about religion. I joke about Jews, muslims, hindus, christians, atheists and pagan tribe folk. Humour is a good thing in life. (I'm an atheist myself.) There even is a one great religion that makes jokes about their own teachings, Zen Buddhism.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  17. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

What could it be I wonder? Hmmm...

18. ranger

ranger New Member

can i say the same? hehehe... do we really want to go into this? there are members that are below 13 you know.

i had a really great weekend training. i'm happy now. :D by the way, back to the question. i think a good karateka should have really love the art. :)

good day!

19. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Like I said, would not wish it on anyone. But your challenge needed an adequate response.

20. ranger

ranger New Member

so aml01_ph, what do you think would make a good karateka?