What knife?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm just reading another thread (Daughter Off to College) and a few of you are mentioning the knives you have that you use as tools.

What do you lot have? Any recommendations?

I really want to stress that I am looking at buying a small "tool" kit, I have no interest in using a knife for "self defence/protection",'cause yo, my lethal weapon is my mind (name that song!).

I basically want a small multi-tool knife-thing for when I am at the summer cottage, in the forest, out hiking with the dogs etc etc, for doing small jobs that don't require proper tools. Every day kinda things; cutting things up, screwing things in, picking my nose, bursting zits, beheading zombies...that kind of stuff. I don't care about defending a lady's honour as the women I know are certainly not ladies and they have no honour already.

I'm really short of cash at the moment, I don't mind putting a pile of money down, but I am concerned that I'll pay for a piece of rubbish as I really don't know about this kind of thing.

Any ideas?

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so i don't have anything fancy, and my mother gave this to me years ago as a xmas present, and i still keep it around. don't always keep it on my person, but do most of the time. a victorinox swiss army recruit. very similar to a boy scout folding knife--if anyone ever had one. the recruit has a large blade, small blade, two sizes of screw driver, a bottle opener and a can opener. has tweezers and a toothpick--which amazingly i've never lost either. i've used the tweezers once like 2 weeks ago, and never used the toothpick.

i know there's a lot cooler stuff out there. but this tool has stuck around in my pile of stuff for some time.

cheers.

oh by the way, the recruit is $23.50.

also my needs are in no way "outdoor-sy". it's for opening boxes, cutting twine or duct tape. i used the tweezers because i was doing some home repair on our laundry machine and a tiny part managed to wedge itself into the knotiest of corners. i've opened a can with it, just to make sure i could do it, but in no way is it anything other than "camping and forgot the can opener" kind of deal.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think you may have to be more specific about your needs.

I have a Fallkniven S1 as my bushcraft knife. Had it for over a decade now. It's a very nice knife made from modern materials, dry sharpening etc... I would highly recommend Fallkniven (as the King of Sweden does! :D ). It also came with a lifetime regrinding service, so should you sharpen it so much that the edge becomes too obtuse because of the thickness of the blade, you post it to them and they regrind it for free.

http://www.fallkniven.com

4. David Harrison

Oh, I just realised you meant "multi-tool" as in something with stuff in it other than a knife. I was thinking of a simple knife as a multi-use tool!

I would not use a Swiss Army style knife for cutting anything more substantial than paper, because I hate the way the blades spring back, and when I was a kid I had one close on my hand. You can still see the stitch marks :)

I'm sure I've seen locking Swiss Army knives, but to be honest I'd rather have a half decent knife and then a separate multi-tool for anything a blade can't do, like screwdrivers and pliers.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As a "blade only" knife a Mora is a good choice and pretty cheap too. Although a copy the Cold Steel "Survival Edge" is also a decent blade and has a firestarter built in. The Condor "Bushlore" is a good knife too, and has a scandi grind making it easy to resharpen.

If you need a "lots of options" one, then a decent Swiss Army is gold!

I like the SA Soldier but my first choice is the Outrider

[​IMG]

6. Hannibal

The Soldier, Hunter XT, Outrider, Rucksack all have locking blades. The Ranger series does too, but I have not handled one of those

7. David Harrison

I do have a couple of folders. The only one I'm comfortable cutting with is an old fashioned one with a very stiff action though.

I'm all about that through-tang! :)

8. Bozza Bostik

Erm..I...er...didn't know what the correct name was for those Swiss Army knife type things. :eek: :)

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i like the recruit because it feels less like a typical swiss army knife. only four total "blades".

10. David Harrison

You were correct, I think...

11. Hannibal

Only drawback is it doesn't lock

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Mora's are great value. Bushlore's a hit or miss though. I ordered two a while ago and basically had to regrind one of them because it had no edge.

While I am a big fan of SA if you actually want to do "fixing" type things it's hard to beat a Leatherman. The Wave is well tested and only about $100. Going a little higher in price the Charge is awesome and has taken everything I've ever thrown at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess you could also try for a Gerber but then we could have also tried to explore space using scuba gear and a rubber dingy.

13. Bozza Bostik

Thanks all.

The Outrider might do the job.

I don't really know what I want, that's why I am asking for ideas! :p

But you're into bushcraft, yeah? So you know how it is, there's always something you need to cut, saw, clip, screw etc and it doesn't require you grabbing you're welding tools, but fingers aren't enough.

Don't get me wrong, I am not some outdoors-type, but I spend a bit of time in the forests and summers are spent in the mökki (summer cottage), it's not exactly a shack but neither is it exactly five star accommodation (I quite like it like that).

So for now, some basic multi-tool to get me started and give me an idea of what to upgrade to (If I ever need to) is all I need.

14. Bozza Bostik

That Leatherman is interesting. I was thinking about pliers, they could come in handy.

15. Hannibal

Then may I introduce the SAK Hercules!

[​IMG]

16. Hannibal

There is also the Swiss Tool - every option locks out (great safety feature) and they are built like tanks

They are heavy though

[​IMG]

17. David Harrison

I don't remember a time in the woods when I needed a screwdriver...

Anything more than a knife, ferrocerium striker, plastic tarp and para cord is glamping! :)

I guess a Leatherman would be best for you.

Personally, I've never found much use for multi-tools apart from the odd time I've needed an electrical screwdriver in a hurry. I always prefer using proper tools, because they're so much more ergonomic. I'd just get a cheap set of select tools for the cottage and a proper knife if I were in your shoes.

18. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I have one of those Swiss Tools Hannibal mentions, and it is great! Too big to carry around much, but does everything it does very well. I also have a couple of leathermans - the original style one, and a "sidekick" model. The side kick is lighter weight, and not as thick metal in the handles (or anywhere) as the other two, but it seems to work fine. I really like it, but have only had it a year or so - the other 2 I 've had a decade or more - and they have held up great.

19. Bozza Bostik

We've got weaponry...I mean tools...a plenty, this is just something to carry around for little stuff.

(You've clearly never lived with someone who continuously loses keys to tool sheds :p).

Glamping is a new term...I prefer the extreme end of glamping i.e. a hotel.

20. neems

neems Valued Member

MOD survival knife,you get a giant knife and sharpened miniature crowbar all in 1 tool.

:D

I took apart my old couch with mine a few weeks ago.