What is your opinion on the way boxers fight?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Rakim, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Boxing is 'the sweet science'. Which punching methods/techniques does Wing Chun use that could better the boxing style?

This isn't to start an argument, it's just that I know a bit about boxing, but little to nothing about WC, it's a genuine question. Cheers.

2. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

boxing > wing chun. Genuine answer.
    Wing chun people may come out with some statements like 'You don't wear boxing gloves on the street!'
    They may also claim they can 'trap' the arms of a boxer. Do not listen to them. They know in their hearts that boxing is better.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

So, as someone who's studied a bit of boxing and very little Wing Chun, it seems to me that they have different approaches to punching. Wing Chun punching don't seem designed to knock someone out - they seem mostly about distraction and shutting people down enough to set up qin na, much like the strikes in Aikido. Boxing, on the other hand, is about setting up "hurtin' bombs" to put someone away with.

4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I have a favorable impression of Western Boxing. They're generally in good condition, have good body mechanics, good footwork, can move and dodge, have good combinations, are nimble and strong. The only problem is that their ruleset is so limited that they not only may miss some opportunities, but may, for example, dodge in a way that is safe in a boxing match, but which leaves you wide open for a knee to the head under normal circumstances. In exchange for that, they've developed their narrow skillset to a high degree, though. It would actually be pretty unusual if Wing Chun's punching was as good as Boxing's considering Wing Chun isn't just punching like Boxing. Of course, Praying Mantis punching is at least as good as Boxing's (and its straight punch is quite similar) despite having a full arsenal of knees, elbows, kicks and throws on top of it...but that's Praying Mantis :D

5. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

I love Western Boxing! But that does not mean that I dislike WC.....it's the evolution of both with the practitioner...the artist evolving with the art(s) not the art making the person.

Kew-Do

6. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

What's this? chunners aren't supposed to say stuff like that. They're supposed to say how the centreline punch dissolves jabs and crosses, or something. Try to stick to the script please?

7. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

You - da - funnies Running Dog!

Per previous conversations, you know I think other wise, however, if you would like me to play my assigned role, I think I can work that out for ya!

Kew-Do

8. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

No no, you carry on, that's just fine. *sulks*

9. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Have you been talking to my Wife?

ROFLMAO.......

10. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I should take the question a step further now, as I should probably have worded it differently in the first place. Obviously the Boxing defence would leave itself open to knees or kicks, because boxers only defend against punches. From the flip-side, WC practitioners have to defend against kicks, knees etc, so their punch defence may be a bit lacking due to other attacks they have to concentrate on. This is natural.

However, which array of punches would be more useful against the average Joe on the street? I think the Jab would be the least useful boxing punch, as it's mainly used to set-up combinations, or to score points in amateur competitions, and it has no real 'knock-out' power. It would solve the riddle of stopping a wild, flailing ****-head getting too close to you, however. I think that the straight right, the hooks, and the uppercuts would be extremely useful.

Which WC punches would be used? And do you have any links or videos to show me the techniques?

11. joedoe

joedoe New Member

I disagree. The jab is a very useful tool for giving yourself space and to set up the big hit. It is annoying and if done correctly still stings.

12. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Yes, the jab can be used to give yourself space, but in general, people would want a street-fight to be over and done with as quickly as possible, and the jab cannot finish someone in one or two hits.

13. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

u have got to be serious...-_-'' I would argue that jabs are MORE useful than hooks considering the fact that jabs are much more accurate and quicker than hooks. Most "average joes" as u described, wouldnt know how to defend a series of jabs; and I guarentee you a couple of jabs to the nose will either finish or set up an opening for the bigger punches. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt be surprised if even "tough" and "macho" martial artists as yourselves would lose a fight due to a couple of jabs to the nose.

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

yeh i've seen many a jab stop a person charging and flaining dead in their tracks, it still messes with their equilibrium.

15. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

You could be right! Anyway, regardless of how effective boxing punches are, can anyone give me a few links or descriptions of WC punches which would be useful in this situation. It seems that every single punch in the boxing repertoire would be useful in a street fight.

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's a bit different without gloves. Pretty much every time you connect solid with knuckles to someones face with a hard punch, it's going to cut the face and/or cause damage. 2 jabs from a good boxer will leave some jokers reeling, just like 2 good punches from a WC'er will leave some jokers realing.

17. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

I hope I'm not digressing from the topic here in asking this, but since WC is focused on guarding the centerline, how does WC defend against the wild and crazy, looping haymaker punches that street brawlers are so fond of?

It's seems (to me) that boxing would be better suited for defending against and countering heymaker type punches since boxing deals with circular type strikes, albeit it usually at shorter ranges than the average Joe throws them.

18. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

I don't even think that boxing is 'suited' to dealing with the punches of an untrained drunk! The most dangerous thing about an untrained person is how unpredictable they are, and if they are inebriated at the time, this unpredictability is trebled. I do see what you're saying though, the boxing guard is developed so that it can defend against hooks, which I suppose are the well-developed and technical cousin of these wild haymakers.

19. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

I think there's a lot of truth in what you are saying.

Don't laugh at me for admitting this, but my wife who has never trained in any MA of any sort can land punches on me when we are playing around. I tell myself that it's only because I am half hearted messing around and giggling at her like a fool and I don't want to hurt her, but I think it's more in align with what you are saying. Her punches seem to come in at weird angles and with odd timing.

I can defend against many MA's strikes, people at my level, while light sparing with no intent, while holding a conversation with my sparing partner even. Put me up against a novice and I really need to pay attention though.

20. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

It's nothing to be ashamed of, everyone has experienced it, even though few admit it. It's a big part of my reasoning for not trying to open up a massive argument on 'Boxing vs Wing Chun', it's a pointless debate. Boxers will be more effective against other boxers, and WC practitioners will be more effective against others within their style. It's all about what you're used to.

The fact remains that no-one (apart from maybe a few bouncers, and a few regular 'street-fighters') will ever have any idea what someone is about to throw at them on the street. Even if you prepared yourself for a flailing lunatic, the person could turn out to be a boxer, throwing a straight right through the middle of your guard while you were preparing for some widely-swung haymakers.