what is your opinion on christians.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 18, 2016.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

And I just got that irony meter fixed!

2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Well, I gave you what you wanted. You didn't ask me to give both evidence for and against Jesus, just evidence for Jesus. I did not avoid you. I asked you where you wanted me to start.

It is not up to me to prove myself wrong, that is up to you.

Anyways, maybe your just content that I have some sort of evidence for us to examine. Most people commenting, based on the comments I read toward me, did not even realize that there was evidence that supports Christian beliefs about Jesus. Heck, a lot of people here didn't even know historians belive Jesus was a real person.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I did, he's wrong

YMMV

But his other religions "easily proven wrong" schtick is frankly laughable, and that alone shows the book is not worth the paper it's printed on

Again your definition of "proof" is clearly not what everyone else - including this dictionary - thinks the word means

4. 8limbs38112

Hmmmmmmm. I don't know maybe you are right. you can elaborate if you like. I haven't studied other religions. But if you don't elaborate. I will simply have to take your word for it. I dun wanna do dat.
    and i dont know what YMMV means.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Your Mileage May Vary.

Usually meaning something along the lines of "you get something out of it, but I didn't" or "I get something out of this, but you might not".

6. philosoraptor

You have provided neither evidence for the existence of Jesus, nor his divinity. You have simply said that Lee Strobel believes it. That's just not the same thing.

7. 8limbs38112

You have provided neither evidence for the existence of Jesus, nor his divinity
    (I asked you where you wanted me to start. I posted a list )

You have simply said that Lee Strobel believes it. (This is simply not true. Well, yeah I said Lee Strobel believes it, but that is not my evidence. If you want the actual evidence you have to tell me where to start from the list I provided)

If you don't want me to tell you about evidence for Jaysus, fine. But, if you do, I have to start somewhere. And you didn't tell me where to start.

8. philosoraptor

Start with the flood. Or with the resurrection. Or that he's the son of god. Or that god exists. Where ever you like.

9. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Just curious why you haven't ever decided to study other religions.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

How about you start with what you find to be the most compelling evidence?

11. 8limbs38112

I think I may start with the either the reliability of the gospels or the eye witness evidence.

Maybe on tomorrow or the day after.

A lot of the evidence or chapters in the book are connected, so if I start with the wrong evidence it may confuse people or leave out valuable info.

12. 8limbs38112

I started to. I started to study Islam and other stuff. Mainly when I started questioning my own beliefs. But I wanted to study what I was raised believing in first. After I did, I was convinced it was true. So then, I lost interest in studying other religions. After all I'm not interested in learning about made up fairy tales. I don't even like reading fictional books to tell the truth. I might watch a fictional movie occasionally, but when I read I want to learn something useful.

13. philosoraptor

Goddammit that's the third irony meter this week.

14. 8limbs38112

I have read and even watched youtube videos of criticisms of the Case for Christ. Most of them are baloney from what I've seen. For one many of their objections are answered and struck down in other parts of the book, which they ignore. From what I've seen most of them are desperate attempts to discredit his book. But that;s just what I've seen.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am going to step out of this.....you don't want a discussion, you don't know what "proof" means and frankly you are starting to sound willingly myopic

I do not want to have my other interractions with you colored by this discussion, because already I can tell you are going to get a philosophical and intellectual ass whipping

Regards

16. 8limbs38112

Proof must make something true beyond the shadow of a doubt if I'm not mistaken. I told philosoraptor Jesus left a trail of evidence earlier in the thread. Philosoraptor told me to show the evidence. Ill let you and the others decide if it is convincing enough for you or not.

17. philosoraptor

It's offensive when you call people cyberbullies for asking about your 'evidence' to then refer to other people's religions as 'fairy tales.' Their beliefs are as strongly held and have as much evidence to support their convictions as you.

Again, glass houses.

18. 8limbs38112

Well, you implied my religion was a fairy tale on numerous occasions. and when I called you a cyber bully I was sort of joking.

19. 8limbs38112

and you make claims with no evidence. Such as this
    "have as much evidence to support their convictions as you." First of all how would you know until you heard the evidence? Have you already looked at the evidence I'm going to post. If so, clear that up for me.
    What evidence do other religions have that are just as strong as evidence as the evidence I am about to post. And how would you know since I haven't even posted it yet?

20. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

With respect, you've had 10 pages to present evidence and you've failed to do so. You haven't even offered anything compelling to support your case. I think everyone but you agrees on this.
    Is it ok to ask how old you are and what kind of life experience you've had outside of your religious family and church life?