what is your opinion on christians.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 18, 2016.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

"Guys I'm in the deep end, someone help!"

2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Ok then tell me from your expertise why the bible is wrong. I know absolutely nothing about what you have degrees in, so it would be like a pit bull fighting a chijuauah But I will think about it, look it up and see where your coming from, then I will look up information to see if there are any arguments that strike down your argument. But, I hate arguing with a scientist about science. I am not even slightly inetersted in science, except for psychology, and I am completely ignorant about it. To be honest I haven't even looked at scientific evidence for and against Christianity, I just researched "mainly" the historical evidence..and some other stuff. So, have at it. I'll look over your argument and think critically about it to the best of my ability, and if I can find some kind of rebuttle to it Ill post it.

3. philosoraptor

Don't shift the goalposts, you claimed there was evidence for Christianity. Put up or shut up.

Then, even if you believe in a God, you have ignored its greatest work. Science is the best window we have into examining the world itself.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Flood is geologically and biologically impossible

Start there

5. 8limbs38112

Humans are like a body. We all have different interests which causes us to have different functions and purposes in life. I may be an expert in psychology, which I'm not, but if I was, I would teach you that, while you are interested in science so you teach me that. Orrrrrr, you develop some new scientific break through that benefits mankind while I treat people for mental disorders. If we were all had the same interests and aptitudes, the world would be messed up. If everyone was a psychologist where would be the scientists. If everyone was a scientist the mentally ill people would be jacked up. But, I am not an "expert on anything" so as of now I'm pretty much worthless, lol. Although I'm going to pursue a masters in business. Still ......I ain't worth crap to society. Just kidding.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I always thought Christianity would be a much better religion if the Old Testament had been lost. Get rid of all the smiting, being horrible to people and minorities, mass murder etc, get on with the being decent to folk.

Mitch

7. 8limbs38112

Ok. I'll look it up. And see what I find. Are y'all missionaries on here. On a quest to dissuade people against their religion. lol.

8. philosoraptor

At this point you're just making excuses for your ignorance; this seems like a theme for you. By all means, if you want to remain ignorant, feel free to do so. But then I suggest you stop calling people out for not researching a subject.

9. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

8limbs you blew right over what I said. In the beginning of the thread I offered an article on the kind of things you're now asking other people to provide. Supposedly you look at both sides of the coin. Here it is again. It's really not a long read.http://www.seesharppress.com/20reasons.html

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't ask for what you don't want then...you asked, I provided

While researching ask why the fish are considered sinless

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It wouldn't have helped the church becoming wealthy and powerful though, or made social control easy if that had happened though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. 8limbs38112

You are accusing me of wanting to remain ignorant about stuff based on stuff I was joking about. I never said I wanted to remain ignorant. No one knows everything. I even stated that if someone pointed me to sources that supports their point of view I would read them. On my own time but I would read them. You seem to be determined to verbally overpower me and attack me because of what I said. When what I said was really pretty innocent. I stated in my post that I did not know what research he has done, but it "seems" to me that he did not do the research on the subject on the evidence that supports Christianity. I even stated that he may have done the research, since I don't know what he has and hasn't read. I didn't accuse him of anything. I just stated what it seemed like to me. Maybe you need to re-read the comment. Or maybe you have underlying issues that make you want to indirectly attack people for having a different point of view then you have. But don't make yourself out to be some internet super hero defending Aegis against some kind of slander I made about him. I was simply stating what things seemed like to me, based on my point of view and based on my own research. If you get this heated about someone having a different point of view then you, to the point that you want to indirectly attack them and make a fool out of them, because they might have incorrectly assessed someone, admitting in their post that they might be wrong, then maybe you need to seek out some anger management counselling.

13. 8limbs38112

I'm going to look the stuff up. 'll get back on this thread either today or tomorrow with what I come up with. But there are millions of arguments against the bible so this could go on forever.

14. philosoraptor

You've said you're uninterested in science. If you are religious that means you are uninterested in God's work.

It seems that you have not either.

Many people have asked you to produce that research and all you can do is appeal to authorities and ask experts to come defend your point of view. As I've said, those in glass houses...

I'm not heated at all, just kind of sad - intellectual laziness on this order does that to me.

15. 8limbs38112

Ok. I'm about to look it over now. I'll after I'm finished looking at it.

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I've been debating the subject online with christians for about 15 years, was educated at a Church of England school and had to attend church services twice a week throughout my school years from age 6 to 18. In that time I've debated against both an evidence- and logic-based arguments against christians ranging from very open and modern theists right through to hardcore fundamentalists who believe the earth is less than 10k years old.

The commonality is that all of them claim to have something that backs up their position, but everything I've seen so far fails other than the "I just believe" comment, which is utterly unassailable. But isn't evidence, of course.

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I've actually been thinking about point 13 (13. Christianity depreciates the natural world) a lot recently after a few comments made to me by Christians recently. And I've heard Pagans accuse Christianity of encouraging environmental damage with their believe in heaven. These Pagans claimed that believing in reincarnation encourages people to be more responsible towards the world as you're going to be coming back to it. But if you look at Asia, their faiths, their belief in reincarnation and their track record for looking after the environment I would say it's an unfair comment about Christianity and perhaps not true.

Maybe there's something else to it the issue, maybe it's a cultural thing, but people just tend to be asses to nature regardless of faith.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  18. 8limbs38112

Ok I stand corrected.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Oh, a thread about religion. That's novel.

20. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Fair enough. I found 19 & 20 especially interesting.