What is your long term goal for your MA training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuma, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

My aims outside of coaching are -
    1) Compete more,
    2) Get to judo more regularly
    3) Increase conditioning, incl my hands
    4) Stop breaking my own fingers during grip fighting.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

To give back the dedication and effort my teachers have given me during my training.

Explore Jujutsu across a wide spectrum from Koryu through to BJJ and self defence, especially incorporating kodachi kumiuchi (close combat with short sword).

Gain a deeper understanding of the writtings and teachings of Musashi Sensei and the ryu-ha.

Sort out the dam kinks in my kesa-giri. (a diagonal cut) :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

It's supposed to be "I have a cunning plan!" Sheesh... :)

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Hes still learning :)

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Like others, a lifetime ago my goal was to run my own school and give seminars. "Life" got in the way, and things have changed. "Life" interrupted me in a different way, and I had to drop out of aikido for six years. I lost a lot of ground. I'm back into it with the goal of just reclaiming that lost ground.

Long term, I would like to become one of those old smiling guys who magically toss the young-uns around the mat without any effort.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ah, y'know, do karate and stuff.

Nothing more specific.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Always :)

I teach a busy club with a lot of good people in it who I love teaching and training alongside. Even so, it's nice to have something just for yourself sometimes. Even when I train under my Instructor, I'm still a TKD Instructor, I'm still in that milieu.

As a result I really enjoy my time in other arts partly because it's something just for me.

Mitch

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I don't have any class teaching goals :) kinda got into helping teach and even running clubs for a while in karate, taekwondo and ballet. I like not having the responsibility in Judo, though don't just rely on teachers for trying to improve my technique and understanding of MA throw by throw.

10. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Heal

Return to training

Stay injury free

Stay consistent

Kill my enemie's first born son.

11. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

I've always wondered why places like this don't exist?

At least in my area, it's either a decent gym setup and the boxing or whatever classes are in the back with minimal floorspace/equipment, or it's essentially just a room with some heavybags and maybe a ring with zero workout equipment.

The part that bums me out is that the places with no equipment have the better teachers but you then have to pay for a gym membership somewhere else.

On topic though I'd like to be able to run around Ki Blasting anyone who gets in my way, while laughing maniacally and possibly flying. A guy can dream right? Seriously just having the snow gone so I can get back into cardio would be awesome. I just wanna get back into fighting form.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

because most people getting into MA dont come from decent strength training backgrounds.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

These days I mainly just want to get better.
    Getting my dan grade in Aikido would be nice , more for the actual skill than the grade , and maybe start a Karate club again.

14. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

I understand the point, but that's always seemed counter-intuitive to me. If you can't break a hold, or throw a hard enough kick/punch/headbutt/whatever then why bother learning the techniques? Get a tazer or something.

Edit: Maybe I'm being negative? I guess I can't speak authoritatively on who should and shouldn't learn an art. Just an opinion.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're not being negative. It's just that, for most people, this will never be anything other than a hobby. An organized social activity. So the motivation to do the parts of it that don't interest them (i.e., conditioning) is minimal. If conditioning were interesting to them, they'd likely already be working out.

Performance-based martial artists are going to condition because it improves their performance. Most people just want to learn something interesting.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I would like to own my own dojo someday. If I could teach karate as my only job then that would be awesome,

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think the idea of integrated training facilities is becoming more common, particularly in the MMA world. A number of the MMA places I've trained at seem to have a conditioning/lifting section, either as part of the gym or attached. I've also notice a trend towards them having contacts with a physio or osteopath or massage therapist or something. I'm not sure how qualified in rehab/prehab many of the general staff at these gyms are though.

I also think ap is right, for most people MAs are a hobby they do once a week or so and they don't really care about the strength/conditioning training side of things. Also there is the fact that many TMA schools are run in a room at a local leisure centre or social club and just rent the space for a few sessions a week, so they don't have their own premises to be able to have other facilities (unlike a lot of MMA gyms which are often in their own building).

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

To fight proffessionally for a living (at least for a few years), and earn a purple belt in BJJ would be my goals.

I'm on track, and will be fighitng amateur in the near future.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its also the new business model for the chav mma places, it means chav Sted heads get to tell each other their a cage fighter.

I think crossfit places often run in conjunction with MMA gyms too, which depending on the level of instruction could be excellent.

20. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

In my case, to get into better physical shape, increase my coordination and equilibrium (I could achieve that with dancing too, now that I think of it... but it doesn't cover my main reason for MAs, Self Defence.).

Longer term, and very long due to my clumsiness, etc. to 'master' TaiJitsu and Kyokushin (I got into them for the self defence aspect). That's 7-10 years ahead.

I'm 41, so too old to compete, but I will participate in some Kyokushin kumite. First objective, be ready in 9 months to do the 100 man kumitethlon. Almost 2 hours of fighting, but the objective is to last, not to KO everyone.