What is your long term goal for your MA training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuma, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Obviously not all of us will have a clear cut vision of what we want to achieve in the long run but for those of us that do please share your thoughts.

I have admittedly not spoken about this to many others. My long term goal is to open up my own school and get a foundation of students before I retire from the department. Initially I was just considering a Kyokushin school - however as luck would have it I bumped into some folks who opened my eyes to something more. I made contact with the main US representative who was very approachable and supportive, and hopefully before 2020 I can bring this to fruition. My goal is to open up an affiliated club of the Kudo International Federation and get Daido Juku Kudo on the East Coast of the US, specifically Pennsylvania. It's a lofty goal but I think definitely achievable.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is it possible to run kyokushin classes in conjunction with kudo, or is that a political nono?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The way my body feels sometimes just getting to training is a achieving goal in itself.
    Just keep plugging away at this "training" lark is my goal.
    Realistically I think a Shidokan black belt is beyond me these days so I'm content just to be active and staying limber.

Good luck with your goal Kuma. That sounds great if you can pull it off.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Most of my goals now are based around meeting and training with individuals - I would love to meet and train under Billy Robinson & Guro Dan for starters!

Outside of that I just want to help grow JKDAA in Canada and abroad

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Personally I really just want to maintain/improve my skills as I get older so that I am able to continue show that what I do has some relevance to the people I train with. Sure I want to keep improving/broadening my skills in other areas but I can see that as I age some of the skills in my core training might be limited. I would be happy to just be able to keep things going and I am inspired by my teachers and historical figures (Kimura doing 1000 pushups a day still in his 70's still wow's me). Not really very ambitious... but hey, horses for courses eh!

LFD

6. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

My main goal is eventually to be certified as an instructor in Wing Chun and then in one other art which I have not chosen yet. I will teach part-time as a hobby, and I will train my grandchildren (once my kids are old enough to have them, etc).

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

*Looks up flights to Pennsylvania*

Go Kuma!

Honestly, these days my goal is to enjoy myself and have good experiences. I'm 44, I'm not going to be world champion at anything or even start a fight career, I just want to enjoy good training with good people :)

Although I do have one sneaky plan :D

Mitch

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watch out Frodo. He's after your cake.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm pretty sure he's not that silly, however I will be monitoring the situation carefully... :yeleyes:

My goals are to get back to training, remain injury free, have fun, do a variety of styles (grappling and striking) and if possible get to a decent level and maybe compete (although that's not a dealbreaker) in them. I'm not patient enough to be a teacher!

If money was no problem (where are you lottery win?! :)) one of my pie in the sky wishes would be to open an integrated martial arts training facility somewhere. A place that had a really good lifting and conditioning gym with cream of the crop staff, experienced in lifting, conditioning, prehab, rehab, massage (and other relevant therapies), which also had facilities from which instructors could run their classes. :)

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, duh

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'm all set for Z-Day....hence my focus is now elsewhere

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You need to start with the cream of the crop, reward them well, build up a critical mass of students and when its too cramped move into the new facilities, paid for by the monthly dues of the students.

The gym I train at started out above a methadone clinic, now it has monthly membership fees in the 6 figure range.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good question. I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

At this moment, I'm feeling like my goal is rather the opposite of what I'd always assumed it would be. I pictured teaching. So I've spent time developing curricula, accumulating equipment (oh, the bag loads of sodding equipment), and thinking about how to communicate technique. And I'll undoubtedly still do a bit of that.

But what I'm realizing, as I anticipate my third child and attempt to rev up my career, is that operating a class seems out of reach. But more importantly, I'm not sure I really want that.

What I'm thinking about, now, is trying a new style. Not because I'm dissatisfied with what I do now. But because I want to do something that I have no ego stake in. Something in which I'm clearly not an authority and have no impulse but to practice the move in front of me. No politics, no self-image, etc.

I'm thinking about taking advantage of my location (lots of schools on offer near me) and the local recreation system. There's a parkour/capoeira school near me, and I've thought about trying out capoeira. But there's also the local recreation system, which offers (among other things that interest me less) judo. And I'm contemplating giving that a go.

That's not a long-term goal, obviously. So, to answer the actual question, my long-term goal is to disassociate myself from politics and rank and focus on practicing as a sort of self-reflection. Pretty soppy when I write it out like that. But I probably couldn't explain it better than that without 1) writing a tome and 2) boring the daylights out of anyone foolhardy enough to read it.

Stuart

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

My sensei is 69 and still on the tatami...

I would like to stay fit enough to follow this example and keep on teaching and training.

Continue to enjoy my martial arts is essential, you do get good and bad days where motivation wanes a bit after being involved for such a long time.

Smurf

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Would you be hiring of the internetz?
    it sounds like a cool idea.
    i would love something that brought competitive styles into more than just a hobby and to operate like professional rugby or even tennis clubs work. you could easily make it available as a hobby too.
    it annoys me that they have people moving into things like amateur MMA comps without any thought to longterm development.

My training goals are to continue enjoying training and train with people much better than myself.

I would like to get involved with the sub only comps and move the same thing over to No-Gi.

and maybe one day teach or assist teaching to someone so any knowledge i gain doesnt die with me.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I took a huge break from training, then when I wanted to get back into it I had a whole bunch of problems...As tacky as it is...I am just happy to be back in the gym!

When I started up again, I said that I would just enjoy each lesson for what it is. I feel much happier training with that approach than I did before.

Having said that...I'd really like to get my instructor thing in escrima. I actually don't want to teach, but I think it says something a little more about your skills and knowledge than a belt. That's just my opinion though. If that never happens, it's no biggie...as long as I can block a stick/blade and counter, I am happy.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Maybe we'll swap places then. :)

I am ranked as an eskrima instructor. And you're one of the influences that has me (re)interested in capoeira.

18. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I just want to keep progressing, I'd like to see at least a 5th dan in my time, which would probably mean running my own club too i guess. but thats fine, i do enjoy teaching =)

19. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Oh crumbs! :eek:

Would that mean I have to give up capoeira? I really like cartwheels and handstands.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, don't. I'll likely break my neck on Day 1 anyway. ;)